X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

Did Australia just let us know that there is a Remastered Version of Borderlands coming to Current Gen systems?

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/12/7381557/borderlands-remastered-edition

If they could adequately address the bugs and glitches that plagued the original Borderlands, particularly the online co-op, I know a lot of Borderlands fans who would jump on this. Even better would be if they could revamp the inventory management system to match BL2's improved system.

DMC: Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 4 are getting remastered editions for the PS4/Xbone.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/15/7394255/dmc-devil-may-cry-4-ps4-xbox-one-release-date

DMC seems like a redundant release. You can probably get a nearly identical package in the PC version when on sale and you'd likely get almost the same experience. Still, DMC is a great game and worth looking into if you didn't play it originally.

Yeah, I'm sure this is for people who are strictly console gamers because the PC version was available under $10 several times. Like you said, most of these multiplatform games that have gotten the "remastered" treatment are basically just the PC version ported over to PS4/Xbox One.

I think they would have had much better success with this about 6-10 months ago. People were eating up these re-releases of games on PS4/Xbox One a few months ago. Part of it is because many of them were critically praised games that were overlooked by a lot of gamers. Tomb Raider, Metro, Sleeping Dogs, and DMC would all fit into that category. The other big part is that there were several pretty dry months on these consoles between release and this Fall. People just wanted something to play on their new console and these were games they heard good things about but maybe never checked out for themselves.

I think a remaster is a much harder sell now though. There are enough new games coming out that I don't see people going out to buy them unless it's something special like the Master Chief Collection. That was 4 major games with a lot of nostalgia factor in one package, not just a prettier version of a game from a year ago. I can see a PS4 Uncharted collection before Uncharted 4 comes out selling really well too.

I can see a PS4 Uncharted collection before Uncharted 4 comes out selling really well too.
An Uncharted collection would be interesting but I don't see it happening, if for no other reason than file size. Don't forget these games were all Blu Rays. Uncharted is 18.2 GB, Uncharted 2 is 19.5, and 3 is 28.2 (according to PSN.) And if they're going to increase the resolutions, then that's going to increase the file size quite a bit.

Reactions: meStevo
An Uncharted collection would be interesting but I don't see it happening, if for no other reason than file size. Don't forget these games were all Blu Rays. Uncharted is 18.2 GB, Uncharted 2 is 19.5, and 3 is 28.2 (according to PSN.) And if they're going to increase the resolutions, then that's going to increase the file size quite a bit.

I'd say an Uncharted collection on PS4 is still possible if not likely, as a digital-only release of a remastered collection wouldn't be unprecedented. When the Prince of Persia HD collection was released, it was only available as a digital download for US PS3 owners (EU got a disc). After months of customer complaints, Ubi finally issued a disc version in the US as well. And there several, in if not dozens, of other PS2 releases on the PSN store that never got a disc release--some of the older Resident Evil games come to mind. There are also examples where a collection includes one or two games on the disc and another as a digital download, for example the inFamous Collection. Not to mention, Sony also has yet to add the Uncharted games to PS Now for some reason.

I'd say an Uncharted collection on PS4 is still possible if not likely, as a digital-only release of a remastered collection wouldn't be unprecedented. When the Prince of Persia HD collection was released, it was only available as a digital download for US PS3 owners (EU got a disc). After months of customer complaints, Ubi finally issued a disc version in the US as well. And there several, in if not dozens, of other PS2 releases on the PSN store that never got a disc release--some of the older Resident Evil games come to mind. There are also examples where a collection includes one or two games on the disc and another as a digital download, for example the inFamous Collection. Not to mention, Sony also has yet to add the Uncharted games to PS Now for some reason.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an Uncharted collection either. Naughty Dog has already shown that they are willing to port up their games with TLoU and Uncharted is the biggest franchise Sony has. It would make a lot of sense to put Uncharted 1-3 on the PS4 before Uncharted 4 comes out for people who are new to Playstation.

They may have trouble fitting it on one blu-ray disc but 343 didn't let that stop them with The Master Chief Collection. They simply packed everything they could fit onto the disc and then included a 15GB day one update to install the part that didn't fit. It was a slightly different situation because they were able to fit all 4 campaigns on the disc and only include multiplayer maps in the update. Uncharted has multiplayer but it's a much smaller part of the total package and cutting that off still might not make everything fit on the disc.

They have a couple solutions to solve that problem though. They could clearly label the packaging to let people know that an internet connection is required for a one time update to get the portion that doesn't fit. As much as people hate when games require an internet connection just about everyone who actually owns a PS4 has internet available. It wouldn't be the end of the world if they required a one time connection to get the full installation.

Another option would be to simply include two blu-ray discs in the box. They could use both discs for the installation process and then just require disc one to be in the drive to verify that you have a valid copy when you play. It would cost them a little extra to include two discs but it can't be that much. That would wipe out the complaint about a required internet connection.

If Microsoft could ship games, or game collections, for the 360 on multiple discs, there's no reason Sony can't for its flagship franchise. A special "Uncharted Collector's Edition" with all the DLC (maybe throwing in the digital comics and an Uncharted 4 demo) in a pretty box could sell for $60 to start.

(And FWIW, the file size for Uncharted 3, according to the PSN store, is 43.5 GB -- I remember hearing a lot of complaints about that when Uncharted 3 was free for Plus members because you needed 80+ GBs of HDD space to download it.)

Hey I'm not opposed to the idea of an Uncharted Collection. I just think that Sony may conclude that logistically it's not worth the effort. Personally I'd prefer a Jak and Daxter collection for the PS4. Yes I realize they did this for the PS3 but I never got a chance to play that or the games when they originally came out for PS2. Or maybe a Rachet & Clank compilation would be possible. But like I've said before, I'd prefer companies put their resources towards new, innovative games that really push the modern systems, as opposed to simply just taking older games and putting fresh paint on them and including DLC and reselling them.

Looking at a list of the PS Now games available on PS4, I'm surprised how poorly Sony's signature exclusive franchises are represented. I only see Metal Gear Solid and Twisted Metal. No Sly Cooper, Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, inFamous, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, etc. I have a feeling remakes/ports will be just as common in this gen as it was in the last since those franchises are clearly being held back from PS Now for some reason.

Even though I have them all for PS3, I'd love to see a Ratchet & Clank "Future" series PS4 collection that includes "Tools of Destruction," "Quest for Booty," "Crack in Time," and "Into the Nexus." I doubt a PS2-era collection will happen since the next R&C game (and movie) is a reboot of the very first R&C game.

The update is now live, and it's a doozy at 6.7GB.
http://trib.al/1UHPNHn

And it's an even BIGGER doozy for the One. It's 40GB, because they screwed something up and now you have to download the ENTIRE GAME again. Good thing I didn't start the download this morning before I went to work. Ubisoft is trying to fix this but they have no ETA on it.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/17/7...d-unity-glitch-broken-problems-xbox-one-patch

Last edited:
Pandora's new Xbox One app lets you listen to stations while gaming

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/18/...-app-lets-you-listen-to-stations-while-gaming

It seems I just bought the wrong current gen console. lol Pandora is the only streaming music service I listen to (and I listen to that more than any other source of music, including my vast CD collection), and Pandora was also the only significant app missing from my living room set up; that is, until two weeks ago when I discovered the only app my new cable box included was one for Pandora. Unfortunately, the AQ from my cable box pales in comparison to even my first-gen Roku (which I use in my bedroom set up).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts