X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

Reviews are rolling in for Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Basically, if you like Borderlands, you'll like this one, and if you don't, you won't.

I bought the BL2 season pass a couple weeks ago when it was on sale on the PSN and have been playing it obsessively since. I do plan on getting the Pre-Sequel, perhaps as soon as BF, but I was concerned about this game's length. So far in the reviews I've seen, it doesn't seem to be a concern. I also may wait for the DLC that will allow me to play as Handsome Jack.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/rewards?xr=shellnav

Here's a heads up for 360/Xbox One owners. I didn't know about the Xbox Live Rewards program until I saw an IGN article about it yesterday so I figure some other people here might not have heard of it either. Basically it's a free program that gives you credits for doing things you probably already do. Each time you earn 5000 credits it is automatically converted into $5 and added to your account for use on the Xbox Live Marketplace. Here is a page that explains some of the ways to earn credits

http://rewards.xbox.com/mymissions/

I rent and buy games at discounted prices later so I probably won't earn as many credits as some people here. I should still be able to earn a decent amount though. For example, if you preorder the big fall games from the Microsoft store you earn 15,000 credits for each game. That equals $15 in store credit for future purchases. I don't preorder games because I can download anything I want on day one without paying up front. However, The Master Chief Collection was a no brainer day one buy for me anyways. Now I will preorder and take the $15 worth of credits.

You also get credits in other ways that don't cost you any money. If you download the free Games with Gold games and play them for 10 hours that's 1000 credits. You also get credits for earning achievements to increase your gamerscore but I'm not clear on how much you earn for that. It's a cool little program that I wish Sony would steal from them because I spend way more time on their systems.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/rewards?xr=shellnav

Here's a heads up for 360/Xbox One owners. I didn't know about the Xbox Live Rewards program until I saw an IGN article about it yesterday so I figure some other people here might not have heard of it either. Basically it's a free program that gives you credits for doing things you probably already do. Each time you earn 5000 credits it is automatically converted into $5 and added to your account for use on the Xbox Live Marketplace. Here is a page that explains some of the ways to earn credits

http://rewards.xbox.com/mymissions/

I rent and buy games at discounted prices later so I probably won't earn as many credits as some people here. I should still be able to earn a decent amount though. For example, if you preorder the big fall games from the Microsoft store you earn 15,000 credits for each game. That equals $15 in store credit for future purchases. I don't preorder games because I can download anything I want on day one without paying up front. However, The Master Chief Collection was a no brainer day one buy for me anyways. Now I will preorder and take the $15 worth of credits.

You also get credits in other ways that don't cost you any money. If you download the free Games with Gold games and play them for 10 hours that's 1000 credits. You also get credits for earning achievements to increase your gamerscore but I'm not clear on how much you earn for that. It's a cool little program that I wish Sony would steal from them because I spend way more time on their systems.
I've been a member for a few years. They used to make it easier to get rewards with special events as well as surveys, but they revamped it and had it focus more on purchases for rewards. Not great, but yes anyone with an account may as well sign up for this.

Little Planet 3's level creation system is pretty damn impressive. Look at what some beta testers have created..

Very cool. I never spent much time with the user created content but watching that makes me want to hop into LBP 2 or LBP Vita and see what kind of stuff is out there.

Very cool. I never spent much time with the user created content but watching that makes me want to hop into LBP 2 or LBP Vita and see what kind of stuff is out there.

Back when I was playing LBP2 regularly, I played some amazing user content, some that was even better than the levels that shipped with the game. I'd check under "Mm Picks" first for some of the better levels.

However, it looks like LPB3 will be the first LBP console game I don't buy day one. Only its inclusion a BF PS4 bundle might put it in my hands sooner than later. There's no chance I'm buying this, or any other cross-gen games, for the PS3 at this point.

Ugh... nice to know that gamers have made the front page of the New York Times...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/16/t...omen-video-game-threats-anita-sarkeesian.html

I'm so sick of this stuff. In my opinion, the extremists on both sides of this craziness are nut jobs. Obviously, anyone making death/rape threats because they disagree with someone's opinion about video games is wrong. That's so ridiculous that I can't imagine even their own group supporting it. Yes, games journalists are sometimes friends with the game developers they are covering. Is that really the end of the world? If you think a particular reviewer's scores are affected by their relationships find one you like better. Between all the websites and youtubers there are a million reviewers out there.

I can't say I agree with the other side either. I've been following the Brianna Wu stuff pretty closely over the last week or two. The reason I've been following her end of it is because her podcast, isometric, is one of the many podcasts I listen to at work. She was the latest victim of these threats and was featured near the end of that New York Times article. From her twitter I know that in the last few days she has been interviewed by CNN, BBC, CBS, MSNBC, Huff Post Live, and others.

I liked the podcast but her rants in the last couple weeks have really turned me off. In the latest episode one of the other female hosts, Georgia, who is pretty new to gaming was talking about how much she loved Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Brianna jumped in and said how sexist and lazy the developers were because the main characters wife dies at the beginning. She said he should have died and it should have been her going for revenge. She said for that reason that she was boycotting it and other games without a female main character. Brianna hadn't played the game for herself but felt comfortable calling it misogynistic. Georgia, said the whole family was murdered including the main character and his son and that she didn't think it felt misogynistic. A wraith who also had his family murdered brought him back to fight. Brianna immediately shot her down. She said that because Georgia wasn't on the front lines of all this gamer gate crap that she didn't understand it. Basically she was told her opinion was wrong by someone who hasn't seen the game for herself because it didn't line up with the point she wanted to make.

On the podcast, Brianna is calling out every game that doesn't have only a female main character or an equal number of female main characters to pick from as misogynistic. She is anti-bullying yet she is trying to bully developers into making their characters female. I like playing games like Tomb Raider where the main character is female and I think it's great that Mass Effect gives you a choice. I think it's ridiculous to demand that all games do though. A developer should be allowed to tell any story they want in their games just like writers of Books, Movies, and TV. If someone wants to tell a story about a male character they should be able to without being labeled misogynistic.

In the end, I don't think either of these fringe cases represent the average gamer. Games are fun. Keep politics out of it. I just hate that every time games are featured in main stream media it's for something terrible like this. No wonder people look down on gamers.