X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

It could be done like the Mass Effect Genesis comic where when you first launch TWD 3 on a new system, you get a synopsis of the past history of the game and the opportunity to make a half dozen key choices...the ones that would still have some bearing on the new season.

If I can't continue with my save on PS4 I'll move over to PC for Season 3. I'm done playing Tell Tale games on my PS3. The Wolf Among Us on PC was head and shoulders above TWD on PS3. I'm not just talking about the resolution increase to 1080p either. I can deal with PS3 graphics for this type of game. TWAU ran buttery smooth on PC while TWD on PS3 was full of stuttering, audio hiccups, and semi-long load times.

I'm sure the PS4/Xbox One version will bring TWD up to the PC level but the price drops so much faster on PC. If I can't continue with my save there is no reason for me not to jump on a Steam discount.

My question is why the hell they're charging it as part of Plex Pass. None of the other apps have a monthly fee (although I don't remember paying a fee for the Roku one, but perhaps that has changed). If you want Plex on your Android or iOS it's $4.99 (A very fair fee IMO) and my PS3 had no problems playing natively. Hell I can stream Plex through my LG Smart TV. Asking a monthly or excessive 1 time fee seems rather foolish on Plex's part.

Still, I do love that app.

My question is why the hell they're charging it as part of Plex Pass. None of the other apps have a monthly fee (although I don't remember paying a fee for the Roku one, but perhaps that has changed). If you want Plex on your Android or iOS it's $4.99 (A very fair fee IMO) and my PS3 had no problems playing natively. Hell I can stream Plex through my LG Smart TV. Asking a monthly or excessive 1 time fee seems rather foolish on Plex's part.

Still, I do love that app.

That's why I was suggesting using the Xbox Media Player app instead of Plex on Xbox One. You can still use Plex as your media server for free and it works great with DLNA capable devices without native Plex apps. I had the same issue with Roku. When I originally set up my Plex server I downloaded the Roku Plex channel and found out I needed to either pay monthly for Plex Pass or spend $75 for a lifetime subscription to use it.

I looked for alternatives and found out that Roku makes a media player channel that supports media from thumb drives and DLNA. If you use the free Roku/Xbox One media apps you can still access all of your Plex server folders and content, complete with cover art via DLNA without paying for Plex Pass.

I can see why Plex would want to make a little money off us but it doesn't make sense to pay for Plex Pass to get an app that does the same thing as native media player apps. As long as the Plex Server software remains free I will continue to use them but I'm not paying for Plex Pass.

Looks like Microsoft threw enough money at Ubisoft to get them to nerf the PS4 version of AC Unity. Or Ubisoft is just being lazy.

Assassin's Creed Unity is 900p/30fps on both PS4 & Xbox One

Either way, it looks like PS4 owners will have this to look forward to: :p
10590597_10152733121030336_383916361410998071_n.jpg

I Seriously doubt M$ paid Ubisoft to "nerf" the PS4 version of the Assassin's Creed Unity with a "lower resolution." Seriously, this battle over pixels is worse than the bit wars of the 80s/90s. They just decided to make both versions the same. And don't forget, traditionally Ubisoft has shown more favoritism to Sony, with the AC games getting exclusive content, and recently Watch Dogs getting exclusive content on the Sony consoles. There really isn't a story here, let alone a conspiracy.

Quote from Ubisoft:
Ubisoft has released a statement claiming that it "did not lower the specs for Assassin's Creed Unity to account for any one system over the other".

"We understand how Senior Producer Vincent Pontbriand's quotes have been misinterpreted," Ubisoft said in a statement provided to Kotaku. "To set the record straight, we did not lower the specs for Assassin's Creed Unity to account for any one system over the other.

"Assassin's Creed Unity has been engineered from the ground up for next-generation consoles. Over the past 4 years, we have created Assassin's Creed Unity to attain the tremendous level of quality we have now achieved on Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC. It's a process of building up toward our goals, not scaling down, and we're proud to say that we have reached those goals on all SKUs.

"At no point did we decide to reduce the ambitions of any SKU. All benefited from the full dedication of all of our available optimization resources to help them reach the level of quality we have today with the core Assassin's Creed Unity experience."

I'm not sure if Microsoft paid them or not but those quotes sound like PR speak given the quote from yesterday. They are trying to minimize the impact of a statement that shouldn't have been made.

"We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff," senior producer Vincent Pontbriand told VideoGamer.com

Why would he say that if 900p was the best they could do on either console? The fact is that most games on PS4 are 1080p while many of those same games on Xbox One aren't.

Personally I don't think the difference between 900p and 1080p is worth making a fuss over but I do wish they would just push out the best product possible on all platforms instead of developing everything to the lowest common denominator. This is the same thing PC gamers have been complaining about for years when some developers basically give them the console version instead of letting them push their hardware.

Reactions: Zookster
I'm not sure if Microsoft paid them or not but those quotes sound like PR speak given the quote from yesterday. They are trying to minimize the impact of a statement that shouldn't have been made.

Why would he say that if 900p was the best they could do on either console? The fact is that most games on PS4 are 1080p while many of those same games on Xbox One aren't.

Personally I don't think the difference between 900p and 1080p is worth making a fuss over but I do wish they would just push out the best product possible on all platforms instead of developing everything to the lowest common denominator. This is the same thing PC gamers have been complaining about for years when some developers basically give them the console version instead of letting them push their hardware.

Exactly. If both consoles share the exact same limitations in regards to being "CPU-bound," then coming out and saying that the graphics specs were being locked at a lower quality to avoid "the debates and stuff" would've been moot and not worth mentioning--i.e., he wouldn't have had any reason to even think of saying it if differences in the systems' graphics capabilities didn't come into play somehow in their developmental decisions. I know I'm probably the least tech-savvy person on these forums but isn't graphics determined by the GPU, not CPU anyway?

Regarding any conspiracy, there are two bits of circumstantial evidence that support the possibility that MS influenced Ubisoft's decision 1) the Xbox One is the lead platform for marketing purposes for AC Unity (regardless of what kind of relationship Sony has had with Ubi in the past); 2) MS has a history of pressuring developers over the graphics parity issue this generation, saying non-parity is unacceptable.

But as I mentioned earlier, I believe it's just as likely the case that Ubisoft was being lazy/cheap in not wanting to take the extra time and effort to push what the PS4 can do. And that's the most disappointing aspect of this whole issue, as king3pj mentions above. I personally likely wouldn't notice a big difference between 900p and 1080p on my 6-year-old 46" plasma TV, but it's sad if this sets a new precedent this generation of developers of cross-platform titles dialing back specs while making weak excuses.

Exactly. If both consoles share the exact same limitations in regards to being "CPU-bound," then coming out and saying that the graphics specs were being locked at a lower quality to avoid "the debates and stuff" would've been moot and not worth mentioning--i.e., he wouldn't have had any reason to even think of saying it if differences in the systems' graphics capabilities didn't come into play somehow in their developmental decisions. I know I'm probably the least tech-savvy person on these forums but isn't graphics determined by the GPU, not CPU anyway?

When he was talking about the CPU bound part he was explaining why the framerate was locked to 30 fps. That part wasn't about the resolution. Basically he said they wanted the screen full of NPCs using realistic AI instead of just being decoration. AI is CPU dependent. I think his point there was that the CPU couldn't keep up with it's AI duties for that many NPCs at 60 fps so they limited it to 30 fps.

When he was talking about the CPU bound part he was explaining why the framerate was locked to 30 fps. That part wasn't about the resolution. Basically he said they wanted the screen full of NPCs using realistic AI instead of just being decoration. AI is CPU dependent. I think his point there was that the CPU couldn't keep up with it's AI duties for that many NPCs at 60 fps so they limited it to 30 fps.

Yes, the fps limit does make sense in that regard.

Apparently #PS4noparity is going viral. Perhaps the proof of no money changing hands between Ubi and MS could come in the form Ubi releasing a post-release 1080p patch like they did for Black Flag in response.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is having an upgrade deal.

The game is Cross Buy on Playstation (Buy PS3 version, get PS4 version for free and vice versa) along with all DLC until 3/31/2015.

For Xbox, if you buy the 360 version you'll get the One version for free if claimed by 3/31/2015. DLC is also transferable.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/7/6942777/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-cross-buy-playstation-3-ps4

I just came here to post this. I don't play CoD, nor do I care to pay full price for the digital version of a full retail game, but as someone on the cusp, I would seriously consider biting on other games coming out this fall, namely Dragon Age Inquisition and LBP3.

What I find particularly attractive about the CoD deal is this line: all stats and in-game progress upgrades will transfer for free, with no deadline.

By "in-game" progress, I wonder if that refers to the SP campaign. If so, I don't see any reason why this can't be done for other games (i.e., cross-gen save file compatibility).

I just came here to post this. I don't play CoD, nor do I care to pay full price for the digital version of a full retail game, but as someone on the cusp, I would seriously consider biting on other games coming out this fall, namely Dragon Age Inquisition and LBP3.

What I find particularly attractive about the CoD deal is this line: all stats and in-game progress upgrades will transfer for free, with no deadline.

By "in-game" progress, I wonder if that refers to the SP campaign. If so, I don't see any reason why this can't be done for other games (i.e., cross-gen save file compatibility).
It would have to depend on how they save the actual data. I'm assuming they had this plan in mind when designing the game, so they likely put them in an easy to decipher format that can be easily transferable into each system type, almost like an element based document.

Whatever planning is involved, it couldn't be that difficult given how many current games can be cross-platformed saved between the PS3 and Vita, and PS4 and Vita, so a player can freely switch platforms without losing in-game progress. I'm sure there isn't a huge demand for it, but I can't believe I'm the only one who would appreciate cross-gen save compatibility. It could potentially mean more sales from those waiting until they get a PS4 before buying certain games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts