OTHER X2 Premium - Multiple Problems!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
Hello and thanks for reading my post. I bought an X2 Premium about 6 months ago and I really like it but I've had my share of problems with it. Here is a list of the problems I have on a regular basis:

1) Powers on but no video (I have to cycle power via the remote to get video).
2) When watching a channel (at a random time) the video and sound start breaking up. To resolve the problem, I have to cycle power via the remote.
3) When changing from C to Ku band or Ku to C band the video and sound start breaking up. To resolve
the problem, I have to cycle power via the remote.
4) Randomly hangs up (will not accept input)(I have to cycle power by pulling the power plug).

I updated the firmware via internet:

SW Ver: 1.04-r3361-29363207-xs0
HW Ver: 30270303,3

The firmware update didn't resolve any of the problems. I emailed the manufacturer but received no
reply.

I like the X2 but I really struggle to use it. In an hour I have to cycle power sometimes up to a dozen times
to get it to work correctly. I recently had my MicroHD connected ... watched for days without a single problem.

Has anyone else experienced problems like these with the X2 Premium? If so, what did you do to resolve
the problems. I'm thinking about throwing my current X2 away and just buying another one. Maybe I just
bought a Lemon?

Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated!

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

I have had a few problems with my X2 Premium as well (although not as bad as you are having). I have experienced occasional picture/sound breakup which usually resolves if I switch to another channel and back again. Also, have had it lock up on me several times. Usually happens when I am doing something in the menus such as moving channels around or scanning but has happened when just watching. Also had it lock up if I loose satellite signal for an extended time. Pulling plug was remedy for me too. Is not a major problem for me (yet). Have had it since October of 2013. Purchased from Amazon. Unit info in menu says:

HW VER: 30270303,3
SW VER: r2890-32202607 -xs0
Date: Sep 24 2013 18:08:18
Description: IX2476-S2
Model: HD Premium

P.S. Just visited X2 Sat site. Latest software appears to Jan 22 2014. Been a while since they released an update. I believe I downloaded it and another just in case but never installed them. Probably have them on a drive somewhere here if any were better than the rest for you and you need them. Hope you get it working!

Last edited:
Sounds like voltage problems but first, how long has it been since you factory-defaulted that X2 and started fresh? I've had one about the same length of time, and haven't had those troubles (yet?). I scan a lot though, and channels add up quickly in mine, so I just clear it out about once a month and start all over again. I know you can save channel lists and satellites but I just prefer to clean mine completely and do it just like the box is brand-new. I think I'm still running Sept26 firmware in mine, since that version seemed to have fix most of the problems I had earlier. If its memory gets close to full it will go wonky, and I haven't seen one yet that would really hold 2000 or 5000 channels regardless of the advertising hype.
If that don't help you out, I'd say it may be experiencing a fatal spiral, hope that's not the case!

My X2 would occasionally lock up and I'd have to pull the plug on it, but it wasn't all that often. I had problems with motor control, but firmware upgrades took care of that. I'd say it's not worth buying another one new, looking at the price they're at now on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008TJQZ76/?tag=satell01-20

$184.93 ??? They have to be crazy. I remember that some firmwares were better than others, but none of them gave me problems as bad as yours sound.

Actually had bad problems with my X2 once, when one of my cats puked into the vents on top of it. It acted up pretty bad and I thought it was toast but I took the cover off and washed it out, let it dry, worked fine.

I hadn't at first realized what had happened because my wife had cleaned it up before I got home that day and when I went to use it, it was totally screwed. Looked close at it and ugh... :(

I do have a bunch of firmwares somewhere here for the X2 if you want to try out different ones. Might take me a bit to find them, I haven't used my X2 since I got my MicroHD and am not sure where all the X2 stuff is.

Last edited:
I have had a few problems with my X2 Premium as well (although not as bad as you are having). I have experienced occasional picture/sound breakup which usually resolves if I switch to another channel and back again. Also, have had it lock up on me several times. Usually happens when I am doing something in the menus such as moving channels around or scanning but has happened when just watching. Also had it lock up if I loose satellite signal for an extended time. Pulling plug was remedy for me too. Is not a major problem for me (yet). Have had it since October of 2013. Purchased from Amazon. Unit info in menu says:

HW VER: 30270303,3
SW VER: r2890-32202607 -xs0
Date: Sep 24 2013 18:08:18
Description: IX2476-S2
Model: HD Premium

P.S. Just visited X2 Sat site. Latest software appears to Jan 22 2014. Been a while since they released an update. I believe I downloaded it and another just in case but never installed them. Probably have them on a drive somewhere here if any were better than the rest for you and you need them. Hope you get it working!

I have been running the January FW since it was released. Everything that I use works except that I have to cycle power after each recording to record again. No other issues.

They always say you get what you pay for and for a receiver that was $70 when it came out... well that saying goes well here.

Though the X2 did do something that I would like to see more companies do... and that is include two remotes! :)

They always say you get what you pay for and for a receiver that was $70 when it came out... well that saying goes well here.

Though the X2 did do something that I would like to see more companies do... and that is include two remotes! :)

Mine was $49.95 with free shipping when I bought it. :)

I sent the X2 I bought back and finally got a refund. Bought Micro HDs for my two systems and never looked back!! ;)

Once I bought my MicroHD, the X2 got packed away and hasn't seen the light of day since! The MIcroHD is definitely better, IMO. I only paid fifty for the X2 new, I should do like Kittyhas1000legs said and sell it on Ebay for a 100 bucks or so and then buy another MicroHD! :D

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your responses. I'd like to update the firmware again but all it says when I try to update
is "update failed". The update worked before, but not now (http, not ftp). I'll continue trying and get back
to all of you with an update!

Did you try downloading the firmware to a usb thumbdrive and updating that way? My internet is real quirky at times and I almost always have trouble doing updates on any equipment (blu-ray player, receiver, amp) via the net.

Well there is something definately wrong with the "network update" function on my X2. It connects both via FTP and HTTP
but I get a download failure via both modes. Tried the OTA method. The dish moves and it says "searching for download
PID", but it just sits there and never does anything. Could someone make the latest Firmware Version for the X2 Premium 1
available to me please. I'll download it and install it via USB. Your help is appreciated!

Well there is something definately wrong with the "network update" function on my X2. It connects both via FTP and HTTP
but I get a download failure via both modes. Tried the OTA method. The dish moves and it says "searching for download
PID", but it just sits there and never does anything. Could someone make the latest Firmware Version for the X2 Premium 1
available to me please. I'll download it and install it via USB. Your help is appreciated!

It's located here: http://www.legitfta.com/forum/showthread.php?18938-X2-Premium-HD-Jan-25

Hi Prime - Thanks for the link. I'm not registered over there so I'll have to register before I can download the file. Also, I assume the file has to be unzipped before it's copied to the memory stick. I don't know if I have
anything on this server that will handle RAR files. It's been a while, but I think that WinZip will handle RAR files.
I'll figure it out and get it loaded one way or another. I'll report back after I install the update.

X2 Premium - Firmware Update!

I downloaded, unzipped, and installed the Jan 2014 Firmware Update for the X2. I'm sorry to report that it didn't resolve any of my problems. I still can't upgrade via FTP or HTTP:

FTP: Download Data Error
HTTP: Waits for 1 minute then says "Update Failed"

Video and Audio still break up on certain channels (cycling power temporarily fixes it)

Just to rule out firewall problems, I assigned a public IP number to my X2. Then, I attempted to
upgrade the FW again ... same problem. Also, it won't ping anything. I hooked up a laptop to the same
network cable that goes to the X2. I can ping anything and surf with no problems. So, it's obvious that
something is wrong with my X2. Guess it's time to toss it and buy another one. Any additional coments
you might have would be appreciated.

After thinking about it, maybe getting another X2 wouldn't be wise. I've got my eyes on the OpenBox X5. It's inexpensive and has allot of features. If you've got an X5, I'd like to hear your opinion of it's performance please.

After thinking about it, maybe getting another X2 wouldn't be wise. I've got my eyes on the OpenBox X5. It's inexpensive and has allot of features. If you've got an X5, I'd like to hear your opinion of it's performance please.

I just started setting one up this week. Once I found a NA list, it has gone pretty smooth. The picture quality is a lot sharper than my X2. The X5 scans pretty fast too. Google Maps and YouTube are the only extras that I have played with so far. They both work fine.

HTH
Norman

I just started setting one up this week. Once I found a NA list, it has gone pretty smooth. The picture quality is a lot sharper than my X2. The X5 scans pretty fast too. Google Maps and YouTube are the only extras that I have played with so far. They both work fine.

HTH
Norman

Thanks for the info Norman. My X2 works fine if I only use it with one dish. The problem arises if I have the vbox and the HH motor in series on the same line. When I surf and go back and forth from C-Band to Ku-Band, the audio and video starts breaking up or the X2 just goes dark (no audio, no video). Cycling power cures the problem until I surf back and forth several times then I have to cycle power again ... very annoying to say the least. Are you using the X5 with a single dish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts