OTHER X2 vs GTMedia V7Plus

lawdog71

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 5, 2021
utah
After resolving some C-band LNBF issues, I locked on a bird (galaxy 16 @ 99W). Here are the STB results:

X2 Premium IV - 20+ videos channels, 150+ audio channels
GTMedia V7Plus - 2 video channels, 0 audio channels

Granted I am using an offset dish/setup, but the "newer" STB performs horribly!

Hoping find STB that will perform/tune well and provide for North America OTA capability.

~s

X2 Premium IV - 20+ videos channels, 150+ audio channels
GTMedia V7Plus - 2 video channels, 0 audio channels
Did you run the blind scan at least two times on each receiver? When using a small dish on C-band especially, blind scans can be tricky. And results can vary even on the same receiver from scan to scan. I think this may be because iinterference received due to the wide beamwidth of the small dish can change on different scans.

I prefer doing transponder scans of preprogrammed transponders. You are more likely to get repeatable results and not miss any weak transponders with a small dish on C.

It's suspicious that a newer receiver would perform that much poorer compared with an older receiver.

When I was testing the boxes, I had them sitting next to each other. Moved the GTMedia to the next room and performed a blind scan and all channels came in as they should. Sure the was a little RF interference between the two when next to each other.

On a different not, has anyone here in the west been able to successfully configure the terrestrial/OTA?

On a different not, has anyone here in the west been able to successfully configure the terrestrial/OTA?
I don't have that receiver but had similar ones in the past. If I'm not mistaken terrestrial on that one is DVB-T2 and only supports European OTA not ATSC like we use here in the US. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. :(

I don't have that receiver but had similar ones in the past. If I'm not mistaken terrestrial on that one is DVB-T2 and only supports European OTA not ATSC like we use here in the US. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. :(

Correct, that will receiver will not work for OTA in North America.

Reactions: lawdog71 and FTA4PA
It's probably not too risky to say there isn't any new satellite receiver on the market now that supports OTA that is compatible with U.S./Canada ATSC television. And so we buy these Homeworx devices for OTA which we'd rather not if given any choice.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: lawdog71
I just got this response from GTMedia on their forum:

"the OTA Terrstrial for United States is ATSC-T, Now we do not support this signal type."

Damn that not kewl.

So any recommendations for an STB that has North America OTA capability?
Before GTMedia they were known as Freesat. In those days they made a Combo V7 that had an ATSC tuner. Didn't sell very well and they stopped making that kind of STB. Nothing else I've heard of lately.
Now-a-days we are using the Edision OS MIO and plugging a Hauppauge USB ATSC tuner in it. That works very well. EPG too.

Reactions: KE4EST
Before GTMedia they were known as Freesat. In those days they made a Combo V7 that had an ATSC tuner. Didn't sell very well and they stopped making that kind of STB.
I have one and it is actually still available. Not a recommendation, just stating it is still available. :rolleyes

I have one and it is actually still available. Not a recommendation, just stating it is still available. :rolleyes

Now there's " a pig in a poke" ;) Lots of conflicting info there. If you look at the picture posted of the back of the unit you can see right away that can't be right. Wrong kind of connectors. Caveat Emptor!

Now there's " a pig in a poke" ;) Lots of conflicting info there. If you look at the picture posted of the back of the unit you can see right away that can't be right. Wrong kind of connectors. Caveat Emptor!
You are correct. I see that the 'current' release states ATSC but does not have the right connector pictured. Here is what the front and back of my Freesat V7 Combo ATSC (that I bought quite a while back) looks like. As you can see it definitely has our US OTA connector. :)

IMG_6970.JPG

IMG_6971.JPG

IMG_6972.JPG

I have one of those V7 Combos also. I haven't used it in a long time as I usually watch ATSC with the MIO Webif function on my PC. I like it better for recording than the freesat too.

Reactions: FTA4PA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Latest posts