Xfinity vs. Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would say check out the Comcast cable section of the forum but not much going on over there
Thats the problem Im having. Trying to find out info on Comcast's latest HDDVR's and programming is almost non existent. It sure seems as if the Satellite world has far superior support and just plain great sites(like this one) to obtain all the info you could ever want!

In our latino culture we learnto be loyal with groceries store, banks, and ect. I'been with D* for many years and I don't care what the others have to offers I stick with my D* they treat me right and very corteus when I call them. My 2 cents, nothing against anybody it is the way we grow up been loyal customers.

In our latino culture we learnto be loyal with groceries store, banks, and ect. I'been with D* for many years and I don't care what the others have to offers I stick with my D* they treat me right and very corteus when I call them. My 2 cents, nothing against anybody it is the way we grow up been loyal customers.

I agree with alot of what you said. My local grocer I still go to. But in this day of age personally Im not loyal to much when it comes to me saving money during the month. While my salary has not increased that much the past 5years I have to go where I will be able to save a buck or 2. Whether it be my cell carrier or tv provider, I go to where the deals are. So if I feel like I can get a better deal on TV and *D* don't want to budge I have zero issues with dumping them. The whole reason I left *E* after 5 years was over them not wanting to budge on me getting a 722 for some ridiculous price.

Jimbo said:
IF, you want AT&T, call them back and have them condition the line, this will take any bridge taps off the line and shorten the length, you will possibly be in range then... also, ask them just how far away you are (loop length)

I've AT&T out about 5 times. Each time I called or checked the web site, it would say I was eligible for 3.0. Come to find out after the connection was completed, I would have an even worse connection speed. They would always send someone out who would change this or that when a senior guy came out and determined I was just outside the radius (100) feet from the station. It would work if nobody was online, but as soon as people started going online, I would get the red flashing light of death. Then I started talking to neighbors on my block only to find out they all went through the same thing trying to get faster DSL. I've had senior technical support try to work through it only to tell me I was out of luck.

The kicker is, my father lives in the boondock mountains on Tennessee and he gets 6.0 from AT&T. I live in one of the largest Counties in the US.

Although I'm happy with Directv, the price for what I'm getting considering the satellite, home phone and Internet is more than what Xfinity is offering for every channel and minimum 20.0 Mbps. I'm not thrilled about signing a 2 year contract. But I'll be saving money and that's the bottom line. Like I said, I am very comfortable with Directv but they can't match the X offer considering they don't have affordable Internet.

I feel your pain on the internet, I live right in the middle of town and ATT didn't offer any DSL service to my address at all. I had to sub to basic cable to get Comcast internet for the reduced price, what a scam that is.

Luckily ATT rolled out UVerse pair bonding and that was finally an option. So after suffering through a month of there HD service (to get all my credits) I now have stand alone HSI at a great rate and speed.

Last edited:
johnml said:
I've AT&T out about 5 times. Each time I called or checked the web site, it would say I was eligible for 3.0. Come to find out after the connection was completed, I would have an even worse connection speed. They would always send someone out who would change this or that when a senior guy came out and determined I was just outside the radius (100) feet from the station. It would work if nobody was online, but as soon as people started going online, I would get the red flashing light of death. Then I started talking to neighbors on my block only to find out they all went through the same thing trying to get faster DSL. I've had senior technical support try to work through it only to tell me I was out of luck.

The kicker is, my father lives in the boondock mountains on Tennessee and he gets 6.0 from AT&T. I live in one of the largest Counties in the US.

Although I'm happy with Directv, the price for what I'm getting considering the satellite, home phone and Internet is more than what Xfinity is offering for every channel and minimum 20.0 Mbps. I'm not thrilled about signing a 2 year contract. But I'll be saving money and that's the bottom line. Like I said, I am very comfortable with Directv but they can't match the X offer considering they don't have affordable Internet.

You could just go with Comcast for Phone and Internet and keep D* for TV. Compare the prices of the triple play and Comcast for internet and phone and D* for TV.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using the SatelliteGuys App

Well I can tell you your blast internet quoted from 20mbs to 100mbs is going to run absolutely nowhere near those speeds. Powerboost is the work of the devil, might want to research this a bit more, now my region doesn't have mrv with xfnty, but I know how it works... Badly... Stick with d* I install Comcast all day long, our hardware is about as up to date as a d11... And our dvrs... The new Cisco ones... Are on par with d* hr10-250s.....

I have never had Comcast, because they aren't in my area. But that 20.0 mbps seems unrealistic.

What some don't realize is it isnt always the same speed. If you have multiple people on the internet, or people hitting the websites it will reduce load time and downloads/upload speeds.

It is like with TWC here in NY. They have their reg internet which is good compared to DSL Verizon. But they advertside Turbo and the ultimate internet speeds, but they even admitted on the phone from one of the csr's that thats not true. Like said it depends on how many people are using your internet and how many are hitting a certain website you are visiting.

I have learned never to believe what companies say. I have friends who swear by TWC, they were sold on turbo, and it isnt any faster that what it was from what I have seen.

Just a word of advice, read everything, and ask many many questions before committing.

Yea, I talked to people who claim to get 100 Mbps when they are signed up for 20 Mbps. I'm interested in the who package and savings it will provide. Not happy with a two year commitment though.

I have never had Comcast, because they aren't in my area. But that 20.0 mbps seems unrealistic.

What some don't realize is it isnt always the same speed. If you have multiple people on the internet, or people hitting the websites it will reduce load time and downloads/upload speeds.

It is like with TWC here in NY. They have their reg internet which is good compared to DSL Verizon. But they advertside Turbo and the ultimate internet speeds, but they even admitted on the phone from one of the csr's that thats not true. Like said it depends on how many people are using your internet and how many are hitting a certain website you are visiting.

I have learned never to believe what companies say. I have friends who swear by TWC, they were sold on turbo, and it isnt any faster that what it was from what I have seen.

Just a word of advice, read everything, and ask many many questions before committing.

I hear what you are saying and understand the tech piece easily BUT can say that I am consistently very close or at the 30Mbps service that I pay for. I do not know anyone that has the 105Mbps service to comment because its $199/mo in my area.

JUCJ85 said:

You do know the cable companies have a way of gaurenteeing bandwith right? I get more speed than I'm paying for. I pay for 16/2 from Comcast and I consistently test at 25/3. Works great.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using the SatelliteGuys App

Thts what I was trying to say before, your 23mb speed is not accurate, this is what powerboost is, your speed gets uncalled for 50% of your files download. Tht causes u to have very high speeds.

I have Comcast tv and internet and love it. I was with Directv for almost 11 yrs. Comcast just recently added 6 HD channels on Tues. BBC America, Cooking Channel etc. The internet is awesome and is always stable. I get or pay for a 12 meg down stream but always speed test at 18 to 20 meg.
They used to have issues with the too many on a node problem. They have resolved that issue here with upgrades in the past two years. I have talked to many neighbors and not one of us notice any slow downs at any hours. I run my netflix quite often and it has never needed a buffer. My bill for both is just over $100 and after contract only goes up around $20 or so.

Try this again.... Stupid ad went fullscreen.

Although we have Direct, we went with Comcast/Xfinaty about a year ago when AT&T did some "work" and we lost our internet.

After several weeks trying to solve the issues, had a tech come out a couple of times and finally said we were no longer eligible for internet as the box that served us was moved (due to a road project) 500 feet further away putting us out of range. I asked if we could be moved to c closer node, they said they couldn't do that and I mentioned "I guess I'll have to go to one of your competitors." The CSR said "Sorry" and that was it. What's funny we got the $99 triple play which is only about $11 more then the only internet package that was available in our area.

johnml said:
I am considering switching to Xfinity. I've been informed my neighborhood has been upgraded to fiber. I've been a Directv customer for ten years and really like it. I currently have 3 HD-DVR's and one standard. Xfinity was in my neighborhood yesterday pitching their new service - every channel, three room HD- DVR (whole house?) with one standard receiver for back bedroom. Internet speeds up to 100 Mbps and home phone. The first year it's $145 tax included, the second year it jumps up $20.

I really like Directv, but the Xfinity package sounds great. As far as Internet, the fastest available in my area (Ft Lauderdale) is 1.5 Mbps which sucks for the area I live in. From what Att tells me I'm just outside the stations hi speed limit of 1000 ft.

Anybody have any thoughts? I'm comfortable with Directv, but the monthly bill is $110 with no pay channels, just three HD DVR's and one standard DVR

I have a scheduled appointment Friday, and I'm going nuts here (still considering canceling). gAlthough with Xfinity I'll get every pay channel, 3 room (whole house) DVR and digital box for back room, high speed (30mbps) and home phone fir $20 more than my Directv bill. Im on the fence still even know it's a great deal from Xfinity, but I left Comcast/Xfinity ten years to come to Directv due to crappy customer service. I'm concerned of the HD picture quality for Xfinity.

Any thoughts? Advise?

Anybody in south Florida do the switch? How is it?

Thanks in advance

I have a scheduled appointment Friday, and I'm going nuts here (still considering canceling). gAlthough with Xfinity I'll get every pay channel, 3 room (whole house) DVR and digital box for back room, high speed (30mbps) and home phone fir $20 more than my Directv bill. Im on the fence still even know it's a great deal from Xfinity, but I left Comcast/Xfinity ten years to come to Directv due to crappy customer service. I'm concerned of the HD picture quality for Xfinity.

Any thoughts? Advise?

Thanks in advance

Here is a good comparison from AVSForum from a few years ago. you will have to see how the PQ is when you get it installed. It could be better than what it was when the screenshots were taken.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271

Last edited:
let me know how it goes for you.. we're getting a little fed up with at&t's poor dsl and lack of u-verse speeds in our area.. thinking about switching.. wouldn't mind getting some channels for my media center..

let me know how it goes for you.. we're getting a little fed up with at&t's poor dsl and lack of u-verse speeds in our area.. thinking about switching.. wouldn't mind getting some channels for my media center..

You always have the option to get internet by itself. Even though bundling is cheaper in most cases.

Any thoughts? Advise?

Thanks in advance

Check out this South Florida Comcast thread: Miami / Fort Lauderdale, FL - Comcast - Page 3 - AVS Forum

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts