meldar_b

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Floyd Co. Kentucky
XM Radio Upgrades Its Sound Quality of the Music Channels Starting August 5th

XM STATEMENT REGARDING SOUND QUALITY
UPGRADE FOR XM MUSIC CHANNELS
• XM will implement a sound upgrade on August 5th.
• In partnership with Neural Audio, XM has implemented a new upgraded audio processor for its music channels, resulting in a fuller and richer sound across the more than 70 XM music channels.
• This upgrade has been in development for over a year.
• Listeners may need to make adjustments to their audio settings (Bass and Treble) for their individual radios to fully experience these sound enhancements.

SOUND QUALITY UPGRADE: Q & A
Why does my XM radio sound different?
XM and partner Neural Audio implemented a new upgraded audio processor for its music channels, resulting in improved sound quality. You may have to adjust your audio settings (Bass and Treble) on your XM radio to meet your own preferences. Once you do so, you should experience improved sound.

Why did XM implement this change?
We’re always striving to enhance quality of our sound. Over the year, XM has been working closely with the sound experts at Neural Audio to implement this sound upgrade. Our extensive testing indicates this upgraded package will deliver an enhanced audio experience.

How is this better or different?
This upgrade should make your XM music channels sound even better by delivering a fuller, richer music experience.

Does XM have plans to upgrade the sound of its news, sports or talk channels?
XM is always striving to enhance our sound quality and we will continue to upgrade our sound in the future. The timing of those upgrades is to be determined at a later date.

Is this just more of XM compressing music channels to gain bandwidth?
These enhancements are purely fidelity improvements, no bandwidth efficiencies were derived as a result of these improvements.

from XMFan.com :: #1 Fan Site of XM Satellite Radio :: XM Sound Quality Upgrades - August 5th

Last edited:
After Friday's cutting in and out all day (Nothing in the news but I confirmed with family members around the country they had problems too so it wasn't my radio), I just assumed things were working again. I didn't notice it sounding any better today, rather, I was just glad the satellite radio I pay for was working again for my wife and I.

Maybe this "upgrade" is to blame for the problems.

yeah, we lost signal over the weekend, and, now the brain surgeons over there say we owe them for 2 years of service..even though we paid in full 3 months ago.
XM radio has the worst CS on the phone I have experienced recently...except possibly for Vonage...

No joke on XM Customer service...I remember a year ago or so, I sold a pickup I had, with factory XM installed. When I called to deactivate my XM service, the fact that I didn't own the vehicle anymore wasn't a good enough reason to cancel! It took me over an hour just to cancel service for a product I didn't own anymore.

i dread the thought of trying to get this billing nightmare fixed..plus, the added "pleasure" of waiting on hold for at least a 1/2 hour, and hoping someone who speaks united states will answer the phone.
Just think, soon, when XM and Sirius merge, it will be even worse!!

No joke on XM Customer service...I remember a year ago or so, I sold a pickup I had, with factory XM installed. When I called to deactivate my XM service, the fact that I didn't own the vehicle anymore wasn't a good enough reason to cancel! It took me over an hour just to cancel service for a product I didn't own anymore.

Now that is bad.:eek:

I've never had any problems with XM's customer service. I've had ~4 radios from them since early '03. I love the service. I pay annually. The only reason I've had to call is to switch out a radio, but I'm sure cancelling an XM account is easier than cancelling AOL (in 1998).

Just listened to my XM, and yes I can tell a difference. Much fuller sound indeed. Let me say it like this, I can tell a bigger difference on XM than I can on A&E HD!

They still need to rework the higher frequencies. Cymbals/snares and the letter "S" in words all sound like an AM station that is just a bit off-tuned. The sound definitely is "fuller" now.

not perfect, but it is a hell of a lot better

the new audio processing is not perfect, but it is a hell of a lot better the the old audio processing. I am very impressed what XM and Neural Audio have done with the upgrade to the new audio processing on the music channels

Because of my crazy work schedule today is the first day that I have really had the chance to listen to the changes to the on-air streams. So far it is sound very surprising good. I was able to listen the first few the changes early on the 5th. at that time the channels were cutting in out. I guess do to the upgrade being done.
Thanks again XM and Neural Audio for making XM an enjoyable experience again.:music:

Yes I will be sending XM and Neural Audio CEO's a big Thank You email on a job well done. :clap

It may not be perfect, but you're right, its a heck of a lot better than it was. Its amazing what Neural can do with 32kbps of bandwidth.

Since I have been told it was upgraded and specifically listened to hear if it was better, I'll now admit that it does in fact sound better than it did. As a proud owner of a stock radio (I'll keep my hearing thank you very much you bass blasters!), it never sounded bad before. It isn't so great that I would have otherwise noticed a difference if I wasn't told. Too little of difference.

What I don't understand is the people that pay for XM, yet they thought the sound quality was so bad before. If you thought it was sub par before in comparison to CDs, Ipods and FM, why in the world would you keep XM? I honestly never thought it sounded bad but if I did, I wouldn't have kept paying for it. It is music, which by nature needs to sound good or would drive a person nuts. I would just listen to my 10+ GB of MP3s or CDs if it didn't sound good to enough to me.

well, the answer is pretty simple; the commercials on "regular" fm have gotten out of control, so thats the first reason I and many others were even interested in XM; secondly, obviously, is content, and XM/Sirius offer lots of niche content, so whether its 40's blues, or deep cuts of punk rock, there is a station for you. Also, the ability to drive cross country and still hear the same great music was an additional reason for many folks to jump on the XM/Sirius radio bandwagon.
I never even considered the sound quality of XM to be a determining factor..
Also, since most cars STILL do not have an easy and cheap way to connect an IPOD like device to them, that hasnt been a mainstream option until the last year or so..Now, and going forward, lots of cars are coming standard with a way to connect your device, but that wasnt the case as recently as this past year..

Also, since most cars STILL do not have an easy and cheap way to connect an IPOD like device to them, that hasnt been a mainstream option until the last year or so

Hogwash.

I have owned $15 cassette adapters and FM broadcasters that I connect to my MP3 or CD players (when I didn't have a CD player built in) for literally years! They are as easy as popping in the tape and connecting to the headphones out and sound great. You actually get one free with the XM Delphi Roady radio. Yes, an aux jack is ideal but these other methods work just fine and have been around for a long time. They most certainly are mainstream. I don't know where you have been for the last decade.

As far as XM. I understand the niche channels but anybody can buy or make mixed CDs of as much music as they want. I love my XM but if I really thought it sounded so crappy I'd drop it or go to Sirius (if that sounds so much better) or just listen to MP3s or CDs.

well, maybe you enjoy the sound when played through a "$15.00" cassette adapter, but to me, that sounds like junk; I hope you dont drive with headphones on......

well, maybe you enjoy the sound when played through a "$15.00" cassette adapter, but to me, that sounds like junk; I hope you dont drive with headphones on......

I don't drive with headphones on. The output jack to headphones of the device (MP3, CD, etc) goes into the cassette unit.

It sounds just fine. Maybe you are one of those bafoons that drive down the street with your bass so loud my windows shake. You think you are cool but you go deaf at 35. People look at you like you are some kind of idiot but you think you are cool. Turn off your hip hop and get a reality check. Those devices are not junk and they are mainstream.

I wish they would not have said anything to see if anyone noticed without being told. My guess is the majority would not have. IMHO

It sounds just fine. Maybe you are one of those bafoons that drive down the street with your bass so loud my windows shake. You think you are cool but you go deaf at 35. People look at you like you are some kind of idiot but you think you are cool.

you forgot about the people who buy 2nd or 3rd hand bass boxes that have been blown already and think they sound "cool" when they sound like s**t :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)