XM Reception in Northeast Ontario, Canada

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

king3pj

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jun 7, 2009
Michigan
Now that my new car has me back into SiriusXM radio I was curious about the reception in Canada. I do a fly in fishing trip in Northern Ontario with a group of guys every summer. We drive to Northeast Ontario and then take a bush plane about 100 miles from the nearest people to a small cabin on a private lake.

On the way up there is a 2-3 hour stretch of road where we aren't able to get a single AM or FM channel and there are a couple more hours where only public radio, Radio Disney, and a weak ESPN radio signal are available on AM. This had me thinking how nice XM radio would be for the long trip this year. Then I started to wonder if I will even be able to get an XM signal that far north.

If it does work one of the guys is considering buying a portable XM radio with the home kit so we can listen to Tigers games while play cards in the evenings. We do have a generator available to use back there. My car is going either way so I will find out if it works or not on the way. We have to decide whether we should buy a portable unit before we go though.

Does anyone have any experience using XM radio in Canada? I'm sure it will work in Toronto and other cities close to the border but what about farther north? It looks like we can get an XM radio with a home kit for about $45 so it's not a huge loss if it doesn't work but if people are pretty sure it won't we would rather not waste the time or money trying to make it work.

Well, if the tigs pitching doesn't get it together, and SOON, you won't be missing much...but still, GO TIGS! And to answer your question, no, I have never listened to Sirius or XM in Canada, sorry.

Reactions: king3pj
I´d assume that shouldn´t be any problem.
Even though I haven´t used it in Canada. I´ve had xm in my car in Central Mexico with fine reception, and I have used a home kit antenna as far south as Ixtapa by the Pacific Coast.

Reactions: king3pj
Well, Dish will provide much of Sirius.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I just checked out GM's Canadian website and they sell their cars with built in XM radios just like they do here. It looks like the packages they offer are a little different in Canada but I assume the GM factory radios and the satellites they pick up are the same whether you buy them in the US or Canada. I'm thinking we will have no problem picking up the Tigers out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)