XP Problem, any suggestions?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I sent one of our pcs to be re-bulit with wxp. It originally came with wxp and another user was using it three weeks ago. I want to use it for another user. It was re-built (formatted and new copy of xp was installed along with dept applications. This image built is the standard use in the company).

The problem is that the pc starts and gives you Windows XP logo. It then re-boots and never gives you a logon window. I can go to safe mode and get a log on screen but in "normal" it will not. This PC is dell pc.

P.S I took a look at the microsoft site and this was posted http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310396

I suggested this to our IT department to see if it could work but he said it may not since this a new copy of xp that is being loaded on to the PC.

Does it keep on rebooting without ever actually opening, or does it open without giving you the logon window? The reasons for the two scenarios are different, and I don't want to give you the explanation for one of it really is the other.

Continuous reboots may be a sign of SP3. This is especially problematic with machines installed from poorly conceived images.

If this is not SP3 related, it is most likely a wrong image.
Exactly the same often happens if you take a hard drive out of a perfectly working PC and try to boot it up on another motherboard.

One thing to try - disable in BIOS all non-critical onboard functionality you can: network, audio, RAID, firewire, etc.
If it helps and you can boot "normally", start bringing them back one by one.

Or you can try to boot this image on another computer and disable all those components in device manager.

This strategy worked twice for me about a year ago... Once it was Acronis' fault, don't recall the second.

Diogen.

Does it keep on rebooting without ever actually opening, or does it open without giving you the logon window? The reasons for the two scenarios are different, and I don't want to give you the explanation for one of it really is the other.

it does boots and gives you the XP logo but no logon window and then reboots again.

Sems to me that you have the solution. They may be mistkaen in thinking this .dll issue is meant to fix the problem withan older file version. I also would hold true if the .dll file was corrupted.

Is there any reason your IT folks won't just reimage the machine. That would be the easiest/fastest way to resolve the problem. If it reoccured after that then i would look into it being a drivers issue.

I had this problem a while back, and couldn't remember what was doing it. Finally came to me just now, but this probably isn't your problem. I had my mp3 player plugged into a usb port. When I unplugged it, the problem went away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts