xx24 software is here! - 8/24/2022

I was surprised that there was still no mention at all of the Hopper+ (nor even of the Android interface) in the Dish dealer ad in my weekly junk mail ads, since Dish is already installing these for new customers. How are new customers even finding out about these, since they are not being advertised? Or is Dish simply automatically foisting these onto unknowing new customers, so they can be guinea pigs before the official release?

I guess Dish doesn't want to advertise these new products, in order to avoid having existing customers seeing those ads and then calling Dish to ask about them, while Dish is not ready to do those existing customer upgrades yet.
I see it both ways. New customers don’t know about it and they may be trying to avoid the onslaught of requests from existing customers before, like Scott said, the official launch on September 15.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Will the new Joeys still work with infrared remotes? I always keep an old model 1.5 infrared remote handy, since that model has a Sys Info button on it. If that will work as a workaround, it might be a good idea to carry one of those old remotes with you.
I do carry one and I didn’t even think of using it. That’s a good one to keep in mind to try

As a new customer you can not call up and request one at this point. They are going out random.

Again they are not officially released yet.

I signed up for new service last Wednesday and specifically requested the Hopper Plus and Joey 4s. They weren't able to add it because it wasn't available until Thursday, but I called back Thursday and they switched my Joey's to the 4 and added the Hopper Plus without any issues. The install on the other hand was a major issue and took the tech 6 hours

As a new customer you can not call up and request one at this point. They are going out random.

Again they are not officially released yet.

Not really "random" when you can add it to your order online. It shows a little pop-up, with a description. But that's it.

Attachments

• hopperplus2.jpg
    hopperplus2.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 108
Never expected a recurring charge. :)
"No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

Wait, what were we talking about again? :biggrin

Well, that's cool finally an answer. If they are just dumping these on new customer installs without telling them, then there will be no recurring charge for them!
Like I said before, Scott had already confirmed somewhere else that there was not going to be a monthly charge for the Hopper+. What we still need to know is how much the one-time upgrade fee is going to be for existing customers, once these become available.

I can see it both ways. Existing customers may get ticked if they have to pay anything, while brand new customers are getting them for free. On the other hand, for new customer installs, a technician is already going to be there anyway. So, there is no additional cost for the truck roll. For existing customers, it is like a whole new installation (and a whole new expense for Dish) suddenly coming out of the blue.

Not really "random" when you can add it to your order online. It shows a little pop-up, with a description. But that's it.
I love how it says it allows access to over 10,000 popular streaming apps, but then the only examples they can specifically name are ones that are already built into the Hopper. They are making it sound like the Hopper+ is required for Netflix, YouTube, and Prime Video.

I love how it says it allows access to over 10,000 popular streaming apps, but then the only examples they can specifically name are ones that are already built into the Hopper. They are making it sound like the Hopper+ is required for Netflix, YouTube, and Prime Video.
Could it be they don't name any others due to possible trademark or copyright issues?

I signed up for new service last Wednesday and specifically requested the Hopper Plus and Joey 4s. They weren't able to add it because it wasn't available until Thursday, but I called back Thursday and they switched my Joey's to the 4 and added the Hopper Plus without any issues. The install on the other hand was a major issue and took the tech 6 hours
I figured Dish would have to have some way to accommodate new customers who want the new equipment, as well as satisfying new customers who don't want the Hopper+. The whole "random" thing never made any sense.

I would hate to be a new customer who signed up during this "pre-launch" window (8/25 - 9/15) and wanted the new equipment, but then didn't get selected to actually receive it. That would mean going through the hassle of the initial install without the Hopper+, having to wait until the official release, and then going through yet another installation so soon after the first one. Either that, or it would mean delaying the entire installation, just so it can all get done at once. Neither option results in a very satisfied Dish customer.

Meanwhile, this same customer's neighbor may have signed up for Dish around the exact same time, and actually got the Hopper+ and new Joey 4's installed, even though that customer did not want nor even ask for the Hopper+. Neither scenario makes sense.

Could it be they don't name any others due to possible trademark or copyright issues?
True, but my point was that they are making it sound like the Hopper+ is needed for those, in order to push the Hopper+ onto more people. Of course, the more cynical among us may say that the Hopper+ is required in order to have properly working versions of those apps. ;)

I see it both ways. New customers don’t know about it and they may be trying to avoid the onslaught of requests from existing customers before, like Scott said, the official launch on September 15.
If Dish had been allowing people to pre-order the new equipment all along (say for maybe a month or two before launch) then Dish wouldn't be faced with a sudden onslaught of requests all at once when they do launch. On the other hand, such a pre-order process may make it a nightmare to schedule installations. "If you want the older equipment, we can install you today. However, if you want the Hopper+ and the new Joey 4's, you'll have to wait until October. All of the available installation dates for those before then have already been booked by pre-orders."

I wonder if his issues mirrored mine.

Well, that's cool finally an answer. If they are just dumping these on new customer installs without telling them, then there will be no recurring charge for them!
I've seen stories of that happening, giving new customers the Plus and Joey 4's without qualifying that they have internet and Hi-Def TV's

If Dish had been allowing people to pre-order the new equipment all along (say for maybe a month or two before launch) then Dish wouldn't be faced with a sudden onslaught of requests all at once when they do launch. On the other hand, such a pre-order process may make it a nightmare to schedule installations. "If you want the older equipment, we can install you today. However, if you want the Hopper+ and the new Joey 4's, you'll have to wait until October. All of the available installation dates for those before then have already been booked by pre-orders."
The new equipment is still not at full availability. Our Warehouse only received enough Pluses to give only a few to each tech. In my case, 2 Pluses, 2 Joey 4's and 2 WiFi Joey 4's and I load out every 2 weeks

I wonder how the picture quality will be on the steaming apps compared to my Roku Ultra? I always use the Roku versus my built in TV apps or the apps currently on my Hopper. Maybe it’s in my head but it always just looked like a better picture to me than the other options.
Streaming is about the same on my DISH Android units and my Nvidia Shield.

However one big PLUS of the Android units is the picture quality from DISH on HD channels appears much better. I am guessing these units have a newer generation MPEG4 decoder in them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)