Yamaha AV Receivers

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, I hope this is the right place to get some questions answered and perhaps sell a Yamaha AV amp. I bought a Yamaha HTR-5890 7 channel amp with THX. I am trying to put it into the right mode where both sets of rear speakers play always. I have not been able to get them all to stay on. They are all OK. I ran a test tone. Can someone help or direct me to the proper forum if this one is not the right place. I also will be selling a Yamaha HTR-5590 in the near future. :cool:

A/V amp or A/V receiver ? "Both sets of rear speakers" do you mean the rear main and rear effects?

Rear channel speakers only play when multi-channel coded material calls for those channels. What source are you using (such as a DTS or DD coded DVD) and what exactly are you trying to do.

Rear speakers reply

Hi, I am tryingto get both set of speakers to play the same sound (In surround) not to confuse you with 7.1 stereo. To me all the speakers sound the same in stereo mode. I have the 2 rear surround spkrs, and hooked up the the surround back speakers to the 5890. I just got that amp last week. Prior to that I've been running the HTR-5590 for almost 2 yrs. It only had 1 more rear speaker input so I used what I had. I like my sound facing me in my chair. I also like it loud when playing certain movies. So, I wanted more watts, 2 more rear speaker channels, and THX.

Is there a tech or CS # to Yamaha to help me ? I know I just have to tweak the system to my liking, but the book is not always clear. What amp are you running?:cool:

I dont use an amp, I run the Yamaha RX-z9 a/v receiver.

When watching 2 Channel stereo programs like most TV or CD you are not supposed to hear rear. Rear is for special multi-channel encoded sound such as dts and DD, THX is just a licensing deal not a real sound field or necessity.

So you are wanting to matrix your 2 Channel stereo programs into all Channels? why? A/V is about clarity and true seperation, not volume. What you want is to have your rears to really be the "B" spearker selection and run both A & B at the same time.

Last edited:

You've hit the nail on the head. Yes, the B speakers are avaiable. The only time I would need to swap the spkr wires is if I wanted to try the THX mode. What are the specs on your AV receiver? I did mean AV vs amp. I'm used to referring all power amps as Amps. Sorry for the mis-communication. Have you played a movie that's in THX and if so did you hear the other passages? Thanks!:cool:

Walker1 said:
You've hit the nail on the head. Yes, the B speakers are avaiable. The only time I would need to swap the spkr wires is if I wanted to try the THX mode.

I have my unit set to full auto: when the source is 2ch, I get 2ch, when I watch regular TV it goes to Doldy Pro Logic II, and depending on the HD channel or DVD it goes into DD or DTS.

I only use my "B" speakers for their intended use; driving another pair of main L/R in another room, like my patio.

What are the specs on your AV receiver? I did mean AV vs amp. I'm used to referring all power amps as Amps. Sorry for the mis-communication.

I have a YAMAHA RX-Z9 http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXZ9.htm

Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20—20,000 Hz, 0.015% THD)
Front Channels: 170 W + 170 W
Center Channel: 170 W
Surround Channels: 170 W + 170 W
Surround Rear Channels:170 W + 170 W
Presence Channels: 50 W +50 W

Have you played a movie that's in THX and if so did you hear the other passages? Thanks!:cool:

What do you mean by "other passages"?

Once again, THX is NOT a decoding scheme like DD or DTS, so it really is not a big deal; more of a buzz word. THX is only a PAID certification program for home theater equipment makers. It is mostly their for them to assure the end user of a base quality level. Some DVDs claim to be THX certified, but this does not mean that have THX sound, there is no such thing; it is also just a paid standard that tells the user the DVD was processed/created uses the highest qulity standards. Nothing more; no special sounds or effects. Many top quality hardware items such as receivers do not have the THX logo and are just as good as most that do. Don't buy the hype. BUT here is some good reading: http://timefordvd.com/tutorial/THX.shtml

ALSO, you never want to constantly swap out wiring or connectors.

Last edited:
Charper reply

You have avery nice Yamaha. I went to the site and reviewed the specs. As I mentioned before I just bought the HTR-5890. It will do for now. OK. I hooked up the back surround rear speakers to the "B" terminals and they wail. Two questions: What button(s) do I press to put my unit in full auto so it knows what to do? Why does the THX web site state I'll hear other sounds when a THX movie is played?

And, just what sounds are supposed to come out of the back surround rears if they are different than the main rear surrounds? Thanks for your help. :cool:

Walker1 said:
Why does the THX web site state I'll hear other sounds when a THX movie is played? And, just what sounds are supposed to come out of the back surround rears if they are different than the main rear surrounds? Thanks for your help. :cool:

I am sorry I can't find that THX quote, but I can tell you 100% that THX is NOT anything more than a certification. Any top quality DTS/DTSes and DD/DDex home theater receiver will do the exact same thing without the THX certification. Heck the latest great sound experience is on the way; DTShd.

BUT, see this diagram for what 6.1 or better does for you.

Film soundtracks have been encoded with DTS ES and Dolby Digital EX technology to reproduce a third channel at the back of the theater that was recorded during the original mix called the Surround Back. The Surround Back creates a spacious ambiance and sound localization, placing sound behind the audience to deliver more detailed imaging and depth to the movie experience.

What you are doing with the "B" selector is simulating a surround type environment from just two channels. Not really doing anything more than basically adding the same exact sounds from another direction.

Attachments

• surroundex.jpg
    surroundex.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Walker1 said:
What button(s) do I press to put my unit in full auto so it knows what to do?

I am downloading your receiver's user guide to read about the features, but it can be VERY dependant on what sources are connected and how.

With a 2 chnl source such as a CD, the receiver will try to auto select 2 chnl L/R main but you can manually select one of the simulated surround sound fields like Jazz or Church and then tweak the audio settings and "pump" up the rear volume and then from that point forward every time you select the CD source that same setting should appear with your prefs. You could even try saving Dolby PLII or DTS Neo as a simulated field for your 2 chnl programming; I use it for my standard TV viewing, but not CD.

BUT not every CD is the same and this, as I touched on a bit before, can become undesirable. As far as the extra surround chnls (aka surround back) these are very specific to DTSes and DDex encoded material.

Reply THX

Hi, I find it interesting that the answers I'm getting from just about ever one is that THX is no big deal. If you go to THX's web site it raves about the "extras" THX brings out in the theatres. On another note, (No pun intended!) I hooked up my 2nd rear speakers to the "B" speaker ports. I like the idea of having both rears sending my ears the sounds in both surround and "regular" like the fronts.

I am an Enterprise fan- (Not the other star trek series's) and 1 episode in particular sounds super, especially in the below 35 HZ frequency range. The episode is named "In A Mirror, Darkly- Parts 1 & 2. It's on DVD and has superb sound. There's lots of action, battle scenes with huge "Bangs", and very low bass notes that shake my house when the star ships get hit with torpedoes and phaser power. I am a HS teacher. I always carry about 20 DVDs in my work case to schools. Many of the high school kids don't like the Star Trek sci-fi stuff. However, I showed several groups of them In A Mirror, Darkly and they got into it. They all thought it was going to be do gooder James T. Kirk. The crew is evil and blows up many enemies in the name of the Empire. "Enterprise" episodes hve nice DD sound tracks that make the room explode. I have always loved music, and am especially fond of very deep bass.

The only 2 modes I'm using on the 5890 are DVD & Sat./Cab. I don't play Cd's on the Yamaha. I have a powerful Nikko amp pumping sound to 5 rooms in my house. It's not as clean or sophisticated as the Yamaha's, but it has tons of power. I had my house built with speaker outlets in every room, the garage, and the back porch. My rack system is against a wall where all the speaker wires meet. I'm not really into Cd's these days. I have been a DJ for 25 yrs. so I'm sure you can understand why I don't listen to straight music and opt for movies with great soundtracks.

The HTR-5590 brought out all those sounds very nicely. However, it didn't have enough headroom or watts to push my Klipsch speakers hard. The 5890 has 20% more power, 2 more rear speaker ports, and extra bells and whistles. It has THX. Why does Yamaha incorporate THX in their high end pieces? In the RX-V line several of their high end AV Receivers have THX. If it's only a certification why does my unit have speaker outputs and a button on my remote that says THX?

Oh well, it's not a big deal. I'm happy to have nice toys that give me pleasure.

It's always nice to meet people that share the same mindset regarding audio & video. I'm glad this forum is here. By the way, does anyone know what a 2 yr. old HTR-5590 with 2 yrs. left on the warranty is worth? How many of you have owned a 5590? Later. Walker1:cool:

hepl with A or B speakers

I have the 5890 and have my front and rear sorround speakers with sub and center, they all work fine but i would like to connect my floor speakers, and I have had them in the a and b spots and they still do not work, i know that the speakers do work is there a setting i'm missing or what?
Thanks
for any help
Ray

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)