YES! 4DTV on W5 almost certain

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Anyone else looking for a 922?
It's time to make the house payment and we're short this month.
I haven't subbed it since March.
It's a 2005 edition!

> What is needed to receive HD from W5?

It is not only a technical limitation; it is also a political limitation. Right now HITS, the company willing to sell programming to us, use a different mode of modulation to transmit HD programming then the 4DTV receivers are capable of receiving.

The political limitation is they will NOT authorize commercial receivers capable of watching these HD signals to home users.

Last edited:
which is realy stupid if you ask me!!
Terry

It is stupid since they could use the newer Starchoice receiver and at least get us all the HITS stuff. Will they do it, NO. The truth is the numbers aren't there. If we were 2 billion strong they would be jumping over backwards for us. Like the late Gary Bourgois used to say, "Follow the money trail".

It is stupid since they could use the newer Starchoice receiver and at least get us all the HITS stuff. Will they do it, NO. The truth is the numbers aren't there. If we were 2 billion strong they would be jumping over backwards for us. Like the late Gary Bourgois used to say, "Follow the money trail".

Yup you got it!
It is a "take it or leave it" situation. Nothing more nothing less.

I think everyone should show the programmers what is up! Boycot their cable and satellite for a couple months nationwide and see how the tables turn. It may never happen but it sounds good. Organize a national tv boycott month...wouldn't that be fun.

I think everyone should show the programmers what is up! Boycot their cable and satellite for a couple months nationwide and see how the tables turn. It may never happen but it sounds good. Organize a national tv boycott month...wouldn't that be fun.

It does sound good. But in reality, people are stuck in contracts, lease equipment and would have to pay early termination fees. After that probably wouldn't make it past the first 2 days without any TV. With digital OTA available that's different. I easily could get by on OTA and FTA programming. Life's to short to deprive yourself of everything and most of us wouldn't be here if we didn't like our TV. Personally, my gripe is the lack of ala-carte services on the main providers. I shouldn't be forced to pay $50 mo for something I don't want to get a few channels I do.

i was fta and ota for years. no issues here...if a free unencrypted pay channel poped up i would watch it...if it goes away i lived.

Has any one tried getting a Starchoice receiver authorized by HITS out right?

Has any one tried getting a Starchoice receiver authorized by HITS out right?

I don't think you can do that. HITS on a commercial level will deal with commercial DC-2's and companies only. Any consumer authorizations would have to come through Skyvision and SRL using their setup with HITS.

I wonder if enough of us bought a starchoice box outright, if Sky/SRL could/would authorize them? Heck I wouldnt have a problem giving them a $50 authorization fee to get it subbed, if feasible.

I agree, I would feel a heck of a lot better buying a modern Starchoice receiver then the 410.

Using a newer Starchoice receiver for us has been talked about for years. Even some powerful people have sat down and talked about it. The truth is there are quite a few obstacles in the way. The two that have put the brakes on so far are, the numbers of receivers that have to be ordered and nobody wants to put out the cash to do it.

I would be very satisfied if we could get the HITS channels in combo plus the regular W5 ones we get. Will it happen... ? We need numbers that are willing to buy into it to change powerful minds. As long as people can get free installs and equipment with pizza (even though they have to get hooked into 2 year contracts) they will go that route. Now if a free receiver was given to us that could make people bite. But then programming prices and some kind of term agreement would be needed to cover costs of the free receiver. When the VC2 came out I remember a free VC2 given away if you bought a year of programming. Now if they did something like that. That would be sweet :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)