Yes in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wes311

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
I just got off the phone with "D" tech-support. They imformed me that I'm eligible in Connecticut under my zip code(06360) for YES HD. She said It's on channel 96. Well I went to that channel and it said "channel not available". She had me reset my receiver and repeat sat setup and other different things with no results. I was just wondering if anybody else in the Connecticut area who is a Yankee fan was having the same trouble. If they are,will you please call them and complain.She said they will take this matter to the engineering dept. Hopefully this will get resolved soon!

I am not 100% sure any of these are your issues, but:

Do you have the correct hardware? I thought these RSNs needed MPEG4 gear, but I might be wrong. (What is your dish and receiver?)

Is that YES HD on 96 full-time or just when HD games are being played? (one on now? http://www.hdsportsguide.com/mlb.php)

Look at the other channels in the 90's and near the SD channel number to make sure the number wasn't mis-quoted.

Yes, I have all the hardware I'm supposed to and also I've checked every available HD channel but no luck! Believe me, the tech- girl went through all that with me at the time.

I am betting that although you are in the zip code DB for YES SD programming, that the HD zip codes DB is much smaller and you really are not included. This has been my theory from the get go. Zip databases are compiled and supplied to Dish and DirecTV by the leagues and/or the rights holders and I bet they have some strangle hold on the HD feeds. (aka the SD and HD acceptance is DIFFERENT)

Do you have any local friends that are getting the HD feed via DirecTV? If so, ask what service zip code they use.

No my zip is included in the DMA and spot-beam for the HD version of YES. She checked several times with different people. She also said the it's up to the YES network and not Direct-TV in how far of a spot-beam area to cover. That's why only Boston-area people are getting NESN and not Connecticut and other people in New England.I don't have any friends who have Direct-TV . They all have cable and all they show is NESN-HD which just baffels me why NESN will provide cable companies in Connecticut coverage of NESN-HD and not Direct-TV!! Not that I care about NESN. Only one cable company near me has YES-HD

Last edited:
Rules and contracts with cable companies and satellite are 2 different beasts, and one thing DBS has been fighting for decades; a fair and even playing field.

In many cases those sports networks are owned or partially owned by those cable companies; so you can draw your own conclusions there.

And as it has been said many times, CSRs, for whatever reason, don't always get the facts correct or at least don't explain things very well when it comes to more technical issues such as hardware, blackouts and DMAs.

I wish you luck, and be sure to post back with details of what you did; if, and when you get it turned on.

I and others have said it 100 times before and this is just another example of why these affiliates and RSNs need to be required to cease market boundaries and allow the customers decide who, what, where, when and how regarding ALL their programming desires. If you put out a great product, customers will buy it and all these boundaries and limits do is alienate users. We live in an ever shrinking society, and just because I live in place 'A' doesn't mean I follow team 'A' as well; so open it all up, in all the feature-rich glory and allow the users to decide! <end rant>

Last edited:
I'm in CT and have been seeing YES-HD (games only) on ch 95.

After the press release a couple of weeks ago, I emailed D* asking when D* would offer a continusous YES-HD feed rather than games-only. The reply stated that YES is not making a continuous HD feed available, and that they would add the feed when it is made available.

I've been seeing games on 95 also, but today's game isn't on 95 and when I called she said it's on 96.95 is only the MLB extra innings HD channel which doesn't show games when FOX has a game on also.

Yep, 96 today... Jeter just walked, forcing in the go-ahead run in the 7th.

I'm more interested in getting a continuous feed than worrying about what channel it is from day to day.

Whereabouts in Connecticut do you live??? I live in Norwich. When I try going to 96 it just says channel not available. Have you ever had that problem??

Got it on channel 96 here in NJ. Looks like the MPEG4 stuff is still a little buggy because sometimes it looked like the picture was in kind of slow motion. I noticed this mostly when the pitcher was throwing the ball.

before you "moved", were you getting channel 96 for YES HD games??

the thing that confuses me is I get every game offered on Ch 95 which is the MLB HD extra innings channel that if I wasn't in the spot-beam area, I should be blacked out,so I would think that I should be eligible for YES HD on ch 96 right??? makes too much sense I guess

Channel 95 isn't on a spot beam.

96 is on a spot beam and since they do this in other areas, my guess is they only include the New York DMA zip codes in to include it

So if you're in conneticut but not fairfield county, you're probably being excluded...

I can't see how that spot beam could not cover all of CT, so hopefully I'm wrong...

Just got an upgrade to the H20 yesterday. Fortunately I got the -100. I haven't seen 96 show up on the guide yet. I did have it on my TS360 until about a month ago. I believe that's when D* started using more spot beams. I have been able to get all the Yankees games that have been offered on 95 (or any other channel in the 90's for that matter!). Hopefully, the mysterious channel 96 will appear in the guide so I can see all the YES HD offerings.
Does anyone know if this ch 96 only appears if YES HD is not available on MLB EI?
BTW, I'm in the Waterbury area.

88isgreat said:
I haven't seen 96 show up on the guide yet.
The Yankees are headed to Texas so YES won't send a HD truck to Arlington, they only usually do it when the game is in the same time zone, Toronto, Baltimore, Cleveland, Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, Boston. So, you probably won't see any Yanks HD games until they start their homestand against Tampa Bay on Friday, if that's a YES game and not a My9 game. There are Yanks-Rangers HD games on ESPN on Mon. and Wed., but those are probably blacked out in the NY RSN area.

88isgreat said:
Just got an upgrade to the H20 yesterday. Fortunately I got the -100. I haven't seen 96 show up on the guide yet. I did have it on my TS360 until about a month ago. I believe that's when D* started using more spot beams. I have been able to get all the Yankees games that have been offered on 95 (or any other channel in the 90's for that matter!). Hopefully, the mysterious channel 96 will appear in the guide so I can see all the YES HD offerings.
Does anyone know if this ch 96 only appears if YES HD is not available on MLB EI?
BTW, I'm in the Waterbury area.

You will get all YES hd games on channel 95 that D* includes in the ei package, which will be most of them, but unless you are in Fairfield county, you won't get any on channel 96.

Status
Please reply by conversation.