Yes in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
raoul5788 said:
You will get all YES hd games on channel 95 that D* includes in the ei package, which will be most of them, but unless you are in Fairfield county, you won't get any on channel 96.
Even though all of CT gets YES as a regional? Why would they start excluding them from the rest of CT? I always thought that CT was considered regional for both the Sox and Yanks for the entire state. Surely it can't be a spot beam issue given the size of CT compared to NY coverage. Doesn't seem right that a service upgrade will reduce what they were giving you before.

jeffnoll said:
Even though all of CT gets YES as a regional? Why would they start excluding them from the rest of CT? I always thought that CT was considered regional for both the Sox and Yanks for the entire state. Surely it can't be a spot beam issue given the size of CT compared to NY coverage. Doesn't seem right that a service upgrade will reduce what they were giving you before.

Have you read any of the "no nesn in hd for CT threads here and on other boards? Apparently D* isn't providing hd nesn or hd yes for areas outside of the Boston and NY LOCAL markets. It sucks for those of us who expected to get the hd feeds.

88isgreat said:
Just got an upgrade to the H20 yesterday. Fortunately I got the -100. I haven't seen 96 show up on the guide yet. I did have it on my TS360 until about a month ago. I believe that's when D* started using more spot beams. I have been able to get all the Yankees games that have been offered on 95 (or any other channel in the 90's for that matter!). Hopefully, the mysterious channel 96 will appear in the guide so I can see all the YES HD offerings.
Does anyone know if this ch 96 only appears if YES HD is not available on MLB EI?
BTW, I'm in the Waterbury area.
It looks like the only way you'll get YES HD games on channel 96 is if you call DirecTV and change your service address to a New York area or Fairfield County address. But of course, this will switch your locals (and HD locals) to New York.

raoul5788 said:
Have you read any of the "no nesn in hd for CT threads here and on other boards? Apparently D* isn't providing hd nesn or hd yes for areas outside of the Boston and NY LOCAL markets. It sucks for those of us who expected to get the hd feeds.
It certainly does suck, especially since the ESPN HD feed is blacked out. Would complaining to D* do any good?

88isgreat said:
It certainly does suck, especially since the ESPN HD feed is blacked out. Would complaining to D* do any good?

Nope, they are just doing as they are told.

raoul5788 said:
So you are saying that the majority of CT will get neither NESN HD or YES even though we get both in SD and yes in HD now? I might as well go back to cable. At least the SD quality it livable then, especially the friday night games on 9.

jeffnoll said:
So you are saying that the majority of CT will get neither NESN HD or YES even though we get both in SD and yes in HD now? I might as well go back to cable. At least the SD quality it livable then, especially the friday night games on 9.

Until something changes, that is correct. The reason you get YES in hd on 95 is because it is part of the ei hd package.

raoul5788 said:
Until something changes, that is correct. The reason you get YES in hd on 95 is because it is part of the ei hd package.

I cannot believe the Yankees would allow their SD YES channel to be piped to everyone in CT and NOT the HD equivolent. Also, I DO get YES games on channel 95, but I don't get the EI package.

I'm curious if I would receive Nesn HD being in Litchfield cty, CT, where NESN is actually deemed to be my HOME RSN. I don't have MPeg 4 to verify tho.

My suggestion if for those who are not getting the HD version of a channel, they do get the SD equivolent for, is to complain to the YES or NESN directly. They would probably listen. I know the Yankees are sensative to TV issues with their network.

Last edited:
Chuck W said:
I cannot believe the Yankees would allow their SD YES channel to be piped to everyone in CT and NOT the HD equivolent. Also, I DO get YES games on channel 95, but I don't get the EI package.

I'm curious if I would receive Nesn HD being in Litchfield cty, CT, where NESN is actually deemed to be my HOME RSN. I don't have MPeg 4 to verify tho.

My suggestion if for those who are not getting the HD version of a channel, they do get the SD equivolent for, is to complain to the YES or NESN directly. They would probably listen. I know the Yankees are sensative to TV issues with their network.

You get YES in hd on 95 because it is available there since it is part of the ei hd package. You won't get NESN in hd in Litchfield county because you aren't in the Boston dma.

raoul5788 said:
Nope, they are just doing as they are told.
Told by who? YES, MLB, FCC? I can't believe they won't send the HD signal into New Haven county, since they already have the zip code data base available for black outs on ESPN, TBS, etc. Or is it that they are using the "excuse" that they don't have capacity on the spot beam?

88isgreat said:
Told by who? YES, MLB, FCC? I can't believe they won't send the HD signal into New Haven county, since they already have the zip code data base available for black outs on ESPN, TBS, etc. Or is it that they are using the "excuse" that they don't have capacity on the spot beam?

MLB determines who gets it, maybe the Yankees are involved, I don't know.

88isgreat said:

The MLB. They set the blackouts. You might want to pen your letter to the MLB office and try and get an explination on SD vs HD blackouts.

EXACTLY! The league creates and maintains the market areas, the zip codes associated with each one, and how they are maintain and allowed to be re-distributed and blacked-out by DBS companies.

raoul5788 said:
You get YES in hd on 95 because it is available there since it is part of the ei hd package. You won't get NESN in hd in Litchfield county because you aren't in the Boston dma.

But I don't subscribe to EI. That's my point. I am in the clear to receive YES HD already thru MPEG 2 because of my location(CT), thus there is no valid reason, other than Directv's own decision, that I wouldn't get YES HD on MPEG 4. The same goes for NESN, especially since NESN is my HOME RSN.

lowmazda said:
The MLB. They set the blackouts. You might want to pen your letter to the MLB office and try and get an explination on SD vs HD blackouts.

charper1 said:
EXACTLY! The league creates and maintains the market areas, the zip codes associated with each one, and how they are maintain and allowed to be re-distributed and blacked-out by DBS companies.

No, this is NOT an MLB issue. If it were, I'd be blacked out on YES on 622 AND YES HD on 95(when the Yanks are on, just as I AM blacked out of other games, from other teams), but I'm not. This is a Directv issue. Whether it comes thru to me via MPEG 2 or MPEG 4 should make no difference as to whether I can receive the telecast.

Last edited:
Chuck W said:
But I don't subscribe to EI. That's my point. I am in the clear to receive YES HD already thru MPEG 2 because of my location(CT), thus there is no valid reason, other than Directv's own decision, that I wouldn't get YES HD on MPEG 4. The same goes for NESN, especially since NESN is my HOME RSN.

No, this is NOT an MLB issue. If it were, I'd be blacked out on YES on 622 AND YES HD on 95(when the Yanks are on, just as I AM blacked out of other games, from other teams), but I'm not. This is a Directv issue. Whether it comes thru to me via MPEG 2 or MPEG 4 should make no difference as to whether I can receive the telecast.

Okay Chuck, I'll try ONE more time to explain it.

You get YES in hd on 95 because you are in the YES territory and you have an mpeg2 hd receiver. It's there for the ei hd feed, but you get it anyway.
You don't get the mpeg4 hd feed because you are not in the dma of New York, which is where you HAVE to be to get it. MLB decides who gets what, NOT D*.

raoul5788 said:

You get YES in hd on 95 because you are in the YES territory and you have an mpeg2 hd receiver. It's there for the ei hd feed, but you get it anyway.
You don't get the mpeg4 hd feed because you are not in the dma of New York, which is where you HAVE to be to get it. MLB decides who gets what, NOT D*.

EVERYBODY that gets the MLB EI package and has an HD receiver (MPEG2 or MPEG4) receives the games that are put up on channel 95 (subject to local blackout rules). 95 is NOT a RSN local channel, it is a CONUS channel - available NATIONWIDE.

Additionally people that already receive YES as their regular RSN receive it on channel 95 - again because it is transmitted by a CONUS beam and is NOT on the NY DMA HD spotbeam.

Last edited:
raoul5788 said:

I understand what you are trying to say, but you are missing what I am saying.

MLB doesn't care HOW a game is being physically delivered to me(ie. MPEG2 vs. MPEG4). They care about location for their blackouts. I am subject to the same blackout rules, whether I am receiveing Yes network via MPEG2 or MPEG4. If I am in YES territory now(which I am) and not subject to blackout via MLB, then I should not be subject to blackout just because the signal is being sent via MPEG4.

MLB is not the one restricting YES HD to NY DMA only, Directv is. They either don't have it set up right or are unable/unwilling to, due to the way their spotbeaming is set up. If this were MLB blackout policy in effect, then I would be blacked out of YES HD on 95, when there is a game, as well as blacked out on YES SD.

Last edited:
Chuck W said:
I understand what you are trying to say, but you are missing what I am saying.

MLB doesn't care HOW a game is being physically delivered to me(ie. MPEG2 vs. MPEG4). They care about location for their blackouts. I am subject to the same blackout rules, whether I am receiveing Yes network via MPEG2 or MPEG4. If I am in YES territory now(which I am) and not subject to blackout via MLB, then I should not be subject to blackout just because the signal is being sent via MPEG4.

MLB is not the one restricting YES HD to NY DMA only, Directv is. They either don't have it set up right or are unable/unwilling to, due to the way their spotbeaming is set up. If this were MLB blackout policy in effect, then I would be blacked out of YES HD on 95, when there is a game, as well as blacked out on YES SD.

I think we understand what you are saying. You seem to think you are being blacked out from the mpeg4 broadcast. That's not the case. It is not being offered to you because you aren't in the NY dma, even though you are in the YES region. They aren't the same thing.

raoul5788 said:
I think we understand what you are saying. You seem to think you are being blacked out from the mpeg4 broadcast. That's not the case. It is not being offered to you because you aren't in the NY dma, even though you are in the YES region. They aren't the same thing.

But since I have the sports pak, shouldn't I still get channel 96(with MPEG 4) and not be blacked out? From what I gather, this isn't the case either. It is being restricted to the NY DMA only, regardless of the sports pak. Same with NESN HD. It is being restricted to the Boston DMA, even tho people like me in CT, are deemed by Directv to have NESN and FSNE as their HOME/regional sports networks(I get them without the sports pak).

Again, I don't have MPEG4 equipment to check any of this(not gonna give up my HD Tive till Directv gets their's out), so I cannot verify.

My initial point was tho, that this is not the doing of MLB(MLB controls the blackout of content, not who's offered the channel), but the doings of Directv or maybe NESN/YES networks, but I find it hard to believe YES/NESN would want this.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)