Yes in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
88isgreat said:
So I guess at the end of the day, one could call D* to ask the question of why they receive YES/NESN/SNY etc in SD but not in HD, then call the RSN, the ball club, the league to voice your displeasure over the lack of HD signal availability and see where that gets you.

As far as adding HD content for "free", remember we are paying $9.99 a month for the content we are receiving. If this additonal content was costing D* extra money, you can bet for sure they would or will pass the additional cost on to the customer. If you remember they reduced the price of the HD package by $1 earlier this year. Someone could make a case that we were or are over paying for the HD content currently provided.

Incorrect in a couple of areas. First, YES-HD is now part of the 'HD' Locals. That is FREE if you already pay for SD locals. You do NOT have to pay $9.99 a month for HD locals - that is for the HD package - which is SEPARATE. If you think you are OVERPAYING for what IS in the HD package, cancel it, that's what I would do if I felt that way.

Also, you can bet your house that there were costs involved to D* to get the rights to carry the RSN's in HD. They added it at no additional charge to eligible DMAs as part of the HD lils bundle.

If I recall, in the past month or so, when DISH added NFL-HD, NGC-HD, HGTV-HD, they make you have a certain higher HD package level to get some of those don't they? Well, DirecTV didn't ask anyone for ANY additional cash did they?

raoul5788 said:
If it is a system limitation as you describe, why have people been able to "move" to the Boston dma from central CT and still receive NESN in hd? It is limited in the sense that the zip codes of all customers that receive NESN in sd, or YES for that matter, aren't in the system as being authorized to receive the hd signal.
I tend to agree with this. I suspect that the whole system limitation thing is BS given the size of the states in question. Is there a map that shows coverage anywhere? I would be shocked if CT was not inside of all of both the Boston and NY coverage areas.

I think the real problem is that although this situation is easy enough for D* to solve for new england because of the size of the states it will be a larger problem for them as they have to apply it to other parts of the country where the states are huge. So they are taking the easy way out and applying the same broad policy across the board in order to avoid more difficult problems.

Maybe this won't be as large of a problem when all sats are launched and they have what they are at least proclaiming as massive HD bandwidth and they are willing to broadcast HD games in multiple places?

Again - it is limited in the sense that they CANNOT send only SOME of the locals from one DMA into another DMA. It is all or nothing. In other words if you get Boston locals, they cannot pick one channel from the NY spotbeam and authorize it in Boston, even though the NY spotbeam can 'reach' Boston. And the reason is precisely that the beams do OVERLAP.

The locals are 'bundled' as ONE product, they are not individually authorized by a CSR when serviced is activated.

ScoBuck said:
Again - it is limited in the sense that they CANNOT send only SOME of the locals from one DMA into another DMA. It is all or nothing. In other words if you get Boston locals, they cannot pick one channel from the NY spotbeam and authorize it in Boston, even though the NY spotbeam can 'reach' Boston. And the reason is precisely that the beams do OVERLAP.

The locals are 'bundled' as ONE product, they are not individually authorized by a CSR when serviced is activated.
I'm sorry, but this is just plain nonsense. If you are telling me that D* can not restrict a specific channel by zipcode and add CT to their list rather than DMA then D* should find another business because they are showing themselves incompetent.

The argument is not whether this is how it works, but whether D* cares enough about their customers to do what is right. There is absolutely zero reason for them not to give HD Yes/NESN to CT other than that they have screwed up and created a system with inherent flaws, are just simply unaware of the issues and just need to tweak things a bit, or they are planning on screwing us by adding some new tier to get more money if you want the HD games (this is where I place my money, trying to entice more people into some sort of EI deal).

Yes/NESN certainly shouldnt care because games in HD draw more people watching their games and keeps there attention, so their sponsors get more viewers. Being a Yankee fan I'm much more inclined to watch a NESN (or any other) game in HD than in SD which is good for NESN and their Advertisers. Hell, when TBS is in HD I'd even watch a few of those crap games. And I'm much more likely to dump D* if I could catch the games in HD over cable.

This isn't rocket science here. It's simple zipcode channel mapping. What happened to good ole American can do, or have they offshored it all to some place that has neither Yankee or Sox fans :)

It's just a bit disapointing that this much awaited service upgrade will actually be a downgrade for one of the main reasons that I chose D* in the first place.

Now don't even get me started on how they can't get a new HD Tivo that uses almost all over the counter components and some software development working.

jeffnoll said:
I'm sorry, but this is just plain nonsense. If you are telling me that D* can not restrict a specific channel by zipcode and add CT to their list rather than DMA then D* should find another business because they are showing themselves incompetent.
They can.

jeff - vent as you wish - you certainly are not going to be the first poster to do so (and by the way same occurs in the DISH threads). The facts don't support you here though. There is no reason in HE** that they wouldn't provide it if they could within the parameters of their operating system. If you choose to not believe it - that's fine with me.

Locals have been provided via spotbeam for many years now - AND NO DMA gets local programming (SD OR HD) from another DMAS beam - the problem is that until they have conus availability for regional programming (as opposed to DMA) they are thus limited in their ability. Sorry if it makes no sense to you - it makes perfect technical sense to me. Don't confuse making sense technically to it being a bad situation, or one that needs a workaround.

What I don't disagree with is that they should throw it up on the Hartford spotbeam, because that would solve the problem.

They would if they could, but the fact is they can not change or add zip codes without approval; they DO NOT make the market's zip code databases, they only install and enforce what they are contractually bound to.

jeffnoll said:

The argument is not whether this is how it works, but whether D* cares enough about their customers to do what is right. There is absolutely zero reason for them not to give HD Yes/NESN to CT other than that they have screwed up and created a system with inherent flaws, are just simply unaware of the issues and just need to tweak things a bit, or they are planning on screwing us by adding some new tier to get more money if you want the HD games (this is where I place my money, trying to entice more people into some sort of EI deal).

Yes/NESN certainly shouldnt care because games in HD draw more people watching their games and keeps there attention, so their sponsors get more viewers. Being a Yankee fan I'm much more inclined to watch a NESN (or any other) game in HD than in SD which is good for NESN and their Advertisers. Hell, when TBS is in HD I'd even watch a few of those crap games. And I'm much more likely to dump D* if I could catch the games in HD over cable.

This isn't rocket science here. It's simple zipcode channel mapping. What happened to good ole American can do, or have they offshored it all to some place that has neither Yankee or Sox fans :)

It's just a bit disapointing that this much awaited service upgrade will actually be a downgrade for one of the main reasons that I chose D* in the first place.

Now don't even get me started on how they can't get a new HD Tivo that uses almost all over the counter components and some software development working.

My bottom line - and I will leave you all to continue the discussion. It is what it is. Every time any provider does ANYTHING - just by the sheer number of subs - it makes some HAPPY, it pisses others off - and it makes people threaten to change to another satco. YAWN!!!

Happens within both the D* AND E* communities, and thats what competition is all about.

This RSN-HD offering was a nice added surprise - it was NOT even thought to be happening at this time just a couple of short months ago - it is obviously a stop-gap measure to increase the offering where they can with the birds they have flying - by next year it will all be CONUS.

They owe this programming to NOBODY - it has been added for free where available. Why anyone would believe that they would have an agenda to deprive someone in CT (and not deprive someone in Boston or New York is beyond me). It is in THEIR best interest to give it to all they can and are allowed to!

ScoBuck said:
YES-HD is now part of the 'HD' Locals.

ScoBuck - I'd find your statement convenient to my situation/location, but I have never heard or read that YES-HD is part of the locals.

Is this your assumption, or a confirmed fact?

If it's confirmed, how did you verify the fact?

FWIW, last month I emailed D* regarding YES-HD. I asked when D* would provide a continuous feed (not games-only). Their response was that YES has not provided D* with a continuous HD feed.

Last edited:
jpn said:
ScoBuck - I'd find your statement convenient to my situation/location, but I have never heard or read that YES-HD is part of the locals.

Is this your assumption, or a confirmed fact?

If it's confirmed, how did you verify the fact?

FWIW, last month I emailed D* regarding YES-HD. I asked when D* would provide a continuous feed (not games-only). Their response was that YES has not provided D* with a continuous HD feed.

Read it in the official DirecTV press release:

The RSNs' HD games will be broadcast by DIRECTV via a local market spot beam, and as a result, the RSN programming will be available only to those customers who live within the local DMA (designated market area) spot beam and the RSN team territory. The games will be available at no extra charge.

the full release:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=880397&highlight=

ScoBuck said:
Again - it is limited in the sense that they CANNOT send only SOME of the locals from one DMA into another DMA. It is all or nothing.

They already do this with Significantly viewed locals that they offer in select areas now.

jeffnoll said:

The argument is not whether this is how it works, but whether D* cares enough about their customers to do what is right.

That's an awfully simplistic way of looking at it. Who's to say that the RSN's don't charge a premium for their HD feed? The RSN's could (not confirmed) be charging sat providers exorbitent fees to carry the HD feed.

If that's the case, it would not be a very good business model.

So I guess you're saying that they're incompetent for not catering to your desires.

This has become the dumbest debate on satguys in months.

ScoBuck said:
Read it in the official DirecTV press release:

The RSNs' HD games will be broadcast by DIRECTV via a local market spot beam, and as a result, the RSN programming will be available only to those customers who live within the local DMA (designated market area) spot beam and the RSN team territory. The games will be available at no extra charge.

the full release:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=127160&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=880397&highlight=

Yes, I read it on-release and again today.

It says they're delivering the channels via spotbeam, it does not say that they're part of any specific package. And the published channel grids don't show them as part of any (LOCALS or HD) package.

Believe me, I'm not accusing you of anything, just asking about the reasoning you used.

ScoBuck said:
They owe this programming to NOBODY - it has been added for free where available. Why anyone would believe that they would have an agenda to deprive someone in CT (and not deprive someone in Boston or New York is beyond me). It is in THEIR best interest to give it to all they can and are allowed to!

Well, not entirely true. They owe me the programming that was available to me when I purchased their product with a 2 year contract. How can you justify forcing me into a contract that started with X games I could get in HD and then halfway through reduce that number. I don't believe the part about them not being allowed to. That does not make any sense. The channels are identical to their SD content. I highly doubt MLB or the RSN are restricting where they can broadcast HD, that only weakens their presence.

The question is simply why this is currently the case? I totally don't buy that it is a contractual situation with the RSNs or MLB. I also don't believe it is a spotbeam limitation issue, however if it is the question then becomes whether the plan is to extend coverage as the new sats go up. The final reason I can think of is the ominous, 'it gives D* an excuse to find some people to charge more for the service.' They can't get away with charging people in the direct DMA, but people outside it is a nice excuse to force a package upgrade.

Ok, this has been beat to death now. I'll keep to myself, for now.

jeffnoll said:
Well, not entirely true. They owe me the programming that was available to me when I purchased their product with a 2 year contract. How can you justify forcing me into a contract that started with X games I could get in HD and then halfway through reduce that number. I don't believe the part about them not being allowed to. That does not make any sense. The channels are identical to their SD content. I highly doubt MLB or the RSN are restricting where they can broadcast HD, that only weakens their presence.

The question is simply why this is currently the case? I totally don't buy that it is a contractual situation with the RSNs or MLB. I also don't believe it is a spotbeam limitation issue, however if it is the question then becomes whether the plan is to extend coverage as the new sats go up. The final reason I can think of is the ominous, 'it gives D* an excuse to find some people to charge more for the service.' They can't get away with charging people in the direct DMA, but people outside it is a nice excuse to force a package upgrade.

Ok, this has been beat to death now. I'll keep to myself, for now.

If you are talking about the games in MPEG2 on channel 95 - you still get them! Matter of fact there are more on than last year. Lots of people happy that more 'non-Yankee games are on (can't please everybody). Anyhow - believe what you want, its ok with me - I'm not trying to fight with you - but I DO SEE IT DIFFERENTLY. If they aren't satisfying you, there are other choices if you feel they are better.

BTW -it was DISH that just put on add'l HD channels and segmented them so people would have to pay more - I don't see DirecTV anywhere doing that - I think your assumption is wrong until you show me differently. Too late in the baseball season to ask people to pay more.

ScoBuck said:
If you are talking about the games in MPEG2 on channel 95 - you still get them! Matter of fact there are more on than last year. Lots of people happy that more 'non-Yankee games are on (can't please everybody). Anyhow - believe what you want, its ok with me - I'm not trying to fight with you - but I DO SEE IT DIFFERENTLY. If they aren't satisfying you, there are other choices if you feel they are better.

BTW -it was DISH that just put on add'l HD channels and segmented them so people would have to pay more - I don't see DirecTV anywhere doing that - I think your assumption is wrong until you show me differently. Too late in the baseball season to ask people to pay more.

I do understand that nothing has changed as of right now. However, what happens in the future with the potential of mpeg2 going away altogether. That's when all of this really matters. This probably should have been stated earlier because it's the real concern. I know this won't happen within the next year, but it will happen. While I normally hate to worry about the future, it does become a bit of a concearn when every time you sneeze they want to lock you into another 2 year contract.

All I'm really challenging is the reasoning that this is tied to contractual obligations between D* and the RSNs/MLB. This is what I'd like to see proof on.

jeffnoll said:
I do understand that nothing has changed as of right now. However, what happens in the future with the potential of mpeg2 going away altogether. That's when all of this really matters. This probably should have been stated earlier because it's the real concern. I know this won't happen within the next year, but it will happen. While I normally hate to worry about the future, it does become a bit of a concearn when every time you sneeze they want to lock you into another 2 year contract.

All I'm really challenging is the reasoning that this is tied to contractual obligations between D* and the RSNs/MLB. This is what I'd like to see proof on.

The general public isn't going to see these - thats fantasy! Next year I wouldn't be surprised (I actually expect them to do it) if they charge extra for HD MLB games (just like super fan). they have to recoup the investment in the technology don't they?

The only difference in that; being DirecTV and the NFL ST/Superfan pack rate, are there to recoup cost incurred by paying heavily to have it exclusive. MLB EI has competition all over, so this prospect, although might pan out, is less advantageous than the NFL deal. They need to know what the others are going to do in advance or have to follow the trend.

charper1 said:
The only difference in that; being DirecTV and the NFL ST/Superfan pack rate, are there to recoup cost incurred by paying heavily to have it exclusive. MLB EI has competition all over, so this prospect, although might pan out, is less advantageous than the NFL deal. They need to know what the others are going to do in advance or have to follow the trend.

I don't think anyone is going to have anywhere near the HD capacity next year that DirecTV is going to have. Cetainly cable will NOT, possibly DISH will.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)