Yes in HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Chuck W said:
But since I have the sports pak, shouldn't I still get channel 96(with MPEG 4) and not be blacked out? From what I gather, this isn't the case either. It is being restricted to the NY DMA only, regardless of the sports pak. Same with NESN HD. It is being restricted to the Boston DMA, even tho people like me in CT, are deemed by Directv to have NESN and FSNE as their HOME/regional sports networks(I get them without the sports pak).

Again, I don't have MPEG4 equipment to check any of this(not gonna give up my HD Tive till Directv gets their's out), so I cannot verify.

My initial point was tho, that this is not the doing of MLB(MLB controls the blackout of content, not who's offered the channel), but the doings of Directv or maybe NESN/YES networks, but I find it hard to believe YES/NESN would want this.

First of all - and to be perfectly frank, DirecTV decided to offer these without any additional fee to subs (even though I would be certain they have had to pay additional rights fees to NESN, YES and the other RSNs). These HD channels are not 'owed' to any subscribers.

If you don't even have MPEG4 equipment, and say you aren't going to get MPEG4 stuff right now its not even an issue to you - you couldn't recevie it anyway.

It is not provided to markets outside of the 'home' DMA - due to 'technical' limitations of the locals spotbeams, has nothing to do with any MLB blackout.

I agree that NESN, YES, other RSNS, and DirecTV would love to offer to the entire 'RSN' coverage areas - but they cannot at this time. This is NOT being done to prevent people from getting any channel or any devious reason - can't imagine why you would think that to be the case. Why would they do that?

DirecTV has far more reason and incentive to offer signals outside of a particular market as opposed to the teams; the league sets the markets areas to protect each team's intrests; not DirecTV.

ScoBuck said:
It is not provided to markets outside of the 'home' DMA - due to 'technical' limitations of the locals spotbeams, has nothing to do with any MLB blackout.

Exactly. That was my point. To clarify what I have been trying to get across... The question was rasied about people who already currently receive the SD versions of YES and NESN not getting the HD versions. People said to complain to MLB about it, as it was their fault. But it's not. People need to complain to Directv about it. That's all I had been trying to get across, so that people complaint to to the right people.

Chuck W said:
Exactly. That was my point. To clarify what I have been trying to get across... The question was rasied about people who already currently receive the SD versions of YES and NESN not getting the HD versions. People said to complain to MLB about it, as it was their fault. But it's not. People need to complain to Directv about it. That's all I had been trying to get across, so that people complaint to to the right people.

Ok - whatever. But I think if they COULD, DirecTV would LOVE to provide this to the very people you mention. Wouldn't this give them a STRONG competitive advantage over DISH in New England? Don't you think THEY know that? Why would ANYONE in ANY WAY think that they are donig this to DEPRIVE a sub of programming? Goes against any sane thinnking IMO.

Complaining won't change system limitations though!!!

"It is not provided to markets outside of the 'home' DMA - due to technical limitations of the locals spotbeams, has nothing to do with any MLB blackout."

This quote of the "issue" came from the RSN itself and is also to be taken with a grain of salt as they are not going to let on IF they had any hand in shaping a contract with DirecTV (or anyone else) that asks for any reduced HD market area as opposed to their current SD market area. That would give them a HUGE blackeye; so why not blame the DBS company. No one can prove otherwise.

Lest you forget; most contracts do come with some sort of confidentiality clause these days. So that can preclude a company from speaking up to the realities.

The bottom line if you want change, just call and complain to everyone; hell, everyone does that anyway when it isn't even necessary, so why stop now? Its not like anyone gives a crap who's really at fault (look at most of the threads) they don't even care once an issue has come to a resolution; if they don't like the resolution, they still complain.

Fact is, NO ONE HERE knows exactly what (if anything) is going on behind the scenes between leagues, the RSNs, affiliates, and the FCC (if any involvement). Anyone claiming otherwise should post well documented proof; if not, its ALL speculation, guessing, and or wishfull thinking; and that's the REALITY.

Rumors and guessing cause far more harm and headaches than anything else; gets everyone in a SNIT.

Last edited:
ScoBuck said:
Ok - whatever. But I think if they COULD, DirecTV would LOVE to provide this to the very people you mention. Wouldn't this give them a STRONG competitive advantage over DISH in New England? Don't you think THEY know that? Why would ANYONE in ANY WAY think that they are donig this to DEPRIVE a sub of programming? Goes against any sane thinnking IMO.

Complaining won't change system limitations though!!!

Complain because is it really a "system limitation". Yes it does go against sane thinking, but, Directv has a BAD history of doing just this... depriving people of programming they could get, for no valid reason. Just look at some of the fiasco's they've had in the past, with incorrect blackout applications(currently, there's a long 13 page thread at DBSForums.com, about them blacking out PREGAME stuff, even tho they shouldn't be, but I think it was resolved because people DID complain). They also took away west coast HD distant nets from east coast people, even tho, they were not required to, by law.

The problem is, since Rupert took over Directv, "logic" has lost it's place at Directv.

Agreed charper1. Every entity should probably be complained to.

Last edited:
Chuck W said:
Directv has a BAD history of doing just this... depriving people of programming they could get, for no valid reason. Just look at some of the fiasco's they've had in the past, with incorrect blackout applications(currently, there's a long 13 page thread at DBSForums.com, about them blacking out PREGAME stuff, even tho they shouldn't be, but I think it was resolved because people DID complain). They also took away west coast HD distant nets from east coast people, even tho, they were not required to, by law.

The problem is, since Rupert took over Directv, "logic" has lost it's place at Directv.

Those two examples are VERY MUCH in dispute.

1. RSN Pre/Post Games - it has been said the leagues are not happy with all the HD highlight packages being shown that "are not" 100% licenced; so therefore shutting those down pre/post games is correctly erring on the side of caution until its all cleared; if it ever does. Why get sued over it?

Is this one example the "HISTORY" you speak of? I think "history of" is a bit exaggerated.

1b. Market zip code databases are provided to DBS by the leagues, so how can you PROVE with facts that DirecTV knowingly blocked people that they knew were to get programs? AND why? How can you prove they were provided the most up to date info? What financial reason would they have by blocking good viewers? They make more money by offering more. So this theory also holds no water of intentionally blocking customers. Its just the accepting the negative theory as fast; as opposed to showing all possibilities since no one knows. Give the DBS companies the control and I bet you money THINGS WILL CHANGE to the viewer's advantage! What do you think?

2. DNS Feeds - Look at what DishNetwork is going through right now over this issue. DirecTV either interpreted the rules differently than Dish or decided that is was not worth losing vast $$$$ resources fighting a losing battle,

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=623002#post623002

but once again, you are GUESSING at what happened, not presenting the facts. Same as above: Give the DBS companies the control and I bet you money THINGS WILL CHANGE to the viewer's advantage! What do you think?

Last edited:
Chuck W said:
Complain because is it really a "system limitation". Yes it does go against sane thinking, but, Directv has a BAD history of doing just this... depriving people of programming they could get, for no valid reason. Just look at some of the fiasco's they've had in the past, with incorrect blackout applications(currently, there's a long 13 page thread at DBSForums.com, about them blacking out PREGAME stuff, even tho they shouldn't be, but I think it was resolved because people DID complain). They also took away west coast HD distant nets from east coast people, even tho, they were not required to, by law.

I might be taking your 'slant' wrong, but I refuse to believe that there is any type of corporate thinking which is designed to deprive people of programming. No, they ain't anywhere near perfect (and no other provider is either), but I genuinely believe that they are overall doing a very creditable job!

ScoBuck said:
I might be taking your 'slant' wrong, but I refuse to believe that there is any type of corporate thinking which is designed to deprive people of programming. No, they ain't anywhere near perfect (and no other provider is either), but I genuinely believe that they are overall doing a very creditable job!

Perfectly correct!

charper1 said:
Those two examples are VERY MUCH in dispute.

1. RSN Pre/Post Games - it has been said the leagues are not happy with all the HD highlight packages being shown that "are not" 100% licenced; so therefore shutting those down pre/post games is correctly erring on the side of caution until its all cleared; if it ever does. Is this one example the "HISTORY" you speak of? I think "history of" is a bit exaggerated.

1b. Market zip code databases are provided to DBS by the leagues, so how can you PROVE with facts that DirecTV knowingly blocked people that they knew were to get programs? AND why? How can you prove they were provided the most up to date info? What financial reason would they have by blocking good viewers? They make more money by offering more. So this theory also holds no water of intentionally blocking customers. Its just the accepting the negative theory as fast; as opposed to showing all possibilities since no one knows. Give the DBS companies the control and I bet you money THINGS WILL CHANGE to the viewer's advantage! What do you think?

2. DNS Feeds - Look at what DishNetwork is going through right now over this issue. DirecTV either interpreted the rules differently than Dish or decided that is was not worth losing vast $$$$ resources fighting a losing battle, but once again, you are GUESSING at what happened, not presenting the facts. Same as above: Give the DBS companies the control and I bet you money THINGS WILL CHANGE to the viewer's advantage! What do you think?

I'm going by what has transpired over time(been with and followed Directv since 1999).

1. Read the 13 page thread over there. It HAS been resolved and they are back on again, hence they were obviously incorrectly shut off, otherwise they wouldn't be back on.

1b. Yes zipcodes are provided, BUT Directv has a track record of incorrectly applying these lists, at times. I've been a victim of it on a couple occassions, with YES network, when it first started. That's not to say they KNOWINGLY do it(I never said they purposely block people), but they(Directv) haven't been known to be on the ball, all the time.

2. They shut them off(West coast HD DNS for East coast people who had waivers), without being required by law. That is a fact. It has been covered to death on all the boards. How is that guessing? I don't know why they did it(I'm sure they had their own reasons), but I do know it wasn't because it was required by law and that's all I stated.

Anyway, if you aren't receiving something you think you should, you SHOULD complain, technical limitation or not because nothing will every change, if people never complain.

Last edited:
I gotta tell you - I had many of the same problems with cable over my time as a sub (Cablevision), and that history is longer than your 6 or so years with DirecTV.

Dish has the same/similar issues.

These things are complex and frankly getting more complex. 15 million subs request (desire) 15 million different solutions.

I stick with my statement, they ain't perfect, but I will NEVER believe that DirecTV (or cable, or DISH, etc.) have any INTENTIONAL CORPORATE mandate or philosophy that is designed to deprive anyone of programming.

I also call to ask questions (I wouldn't call it complaining) when I am not sure or believe that a program should be on. Nothing wrong with that for sure.

But in this case, they added something without charge, without prior notice, they owe this programming to no one (no one has paid for it). In my opinion, they are getting chastised for giving something away for free - plain and simple.

ScoBuck said:
I gotta tell you - I had many of the same problems with cable over my time as a sub (Cablevision), and that history is longer than your 6 or so years with DirecTV.

Dish has the same/similar issues.

These things are complex and frankly getting more complex. 15 million subs request (desire) 15 million different solutions.

I stick with my statement, they ain't perfect, but I will NEVER believe that DirecTV (or cable, or DISH, etc.) have any INTENTIONAL CORPORATE mandate or philosophy that is designed to deprive anyone of programming.

I also call to ask questions (I wouldn't call it complaining) when I am not sure or believe that a program should be on. Nothing wrong with that for sure.

But in this case, they added something without charge, without prior notice, they owe this programming to no one (no one has paid for it). In my opinion, they are getting chastised for giving something away for free - plain and simple.

I couldn't have said it better!

Just because another board (or ANY board) says something one way or the other, doesn't make it so; and all throughout your explanations you still say you don't know anything as fact but just going on the running situations and track records; what track record? Please show it to me. Are you going to tell me someone has documents or recordings that databases were incorrectly administered; I doubt that. I think its a "perceived" track record; I have been with DirecTV since 1996 and have never had issues except losing DNS at one time; and it was well explained why and well in advance of losing them. Anyway, how do YOU KNOW who is responsible for your zip code being left out of a database; or how do you know its any more than being accidentally mistyped? Accidents happen and people blow things WAY OUT of proportion as it can take time to figure things out that are so complex and involving so many people and contracts; companies just don't go willy nilly turning things off and on without research; they have to cover their asses legally.

As far as DNS goes, we have all known for at least 3+ years they were going by the way side thanks the the NAB; thus the rush to get LIL in place. The bottom line is; if you don't like something; give feedback; to all concerned, and then at some point if you still are not satisfied, vote a change with your wallet and leave the service provider.

BUT anyone claiming facts of was exactly happened or didn't happen "behind the scenes" is NEVER going to be 100% accurate (if more than 50% accurate) and its hilarious reading any posts claiming that they "DO KNOW" without any backing proof. That's all I am saying; just loving how everyone wants to claim "they know" and love to pile on the negative bandwagon without ever offering any proof, but they won't do the same for all the other possibilities that do exist and are outside of your DBS provider's control and make even more common sense. It's the "hater" mentality"; the need to dislike "the man", have a conspiracy, or the need to live life in constant drama.

Last edited:
What was FAR worse was that for MOST of the 20 years I had Cablevision, they had NO competition - so guess what - accept it, or put back up the antenna and get only OTA.

Also, there were no forums for this type of discussion, NO DVR, no HD, and cablevision at EVERY turn when they added programming wanted MONEY. They didn't even have YES on for the first Yankee season - because they wanted to be able to CHARGE EVERY sub more to get it.

Remember this new HD stuff is being given out at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE TO ANYONE. They DO NOT owe it to me - to you - or to anyone!

Chuck W said:

If it is a system limitation as you describe, why have people been able to "move" to the Boston dma from central CT and still receive NESN in hd? It is limited in the sense that the zip codes of all customers that receive NESN in sd, or YES for that matter, aren't in the system as being authorized to receive the hd signal.

So I guess at the end of the day, one could call D* to ask the question of why they receive YES/NESN/SNY etc in SD but not in HD, then call the RSN, the ball club, the league to voice your displeasure over the lack of HD signal availability and see where that gets you.

As far as adding HD content for "free", remember we are paying $9.99 a month for the content we are receiving. If this additonal content was costing D* extra money, you can bet for sure they would or will pass the additional cost on to the customer. If you remember they reduced the price of the HD package by $1 earlier this year. Someone could make a case that we were or are over paying for the HD content currently provided.

Just remember when you call with an overly technical inquiry like that, that CSR and their supers will NOT have any info regarding that. And IMHO any RSN you call that is owned by a cable company, you might as well be talking to a 3 yo.

charper1 said:
Exactlly!!! If they would have read the threads like you did Raoul (Chip?), they would have seen/known that.

Raoul is a screen name, Chip is my real (nick) name.

charper1 said:
Exactlly!!! If they would have read the threads like you did Raoul (Chip?), they would have seen/known that.

And if Raoul had actually read what I wrote, he would see I wasn't the one who called it a system limitation. I asked the question IF it really was a system limitation and was actually making a case that is WASN'T a system limitation.

Last edited:
Chuck W said:
And if Raoul had actually read what I wrote, he would see I wasn't the one who called it a system limitation. I asked the question IF it really was a system limitation and was actually making a case that is WASN'T a system limitation.

I did read what you wrote, but because of the lack of a question mark, I read it wrong. Sorry. Really. :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts