YES! New MetroStar Omnidirectional Antenna Installed

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
... and now I have ALL my locals, plus a few fringe channels I could never hit in West Palm Beach, all have great quality!! Fox and WB either would never come in or come with serious frame drops. They weren't kidding about the range of the antenna being 55 miles, the 3 WPB stations I'm getting in are exactly like 52-55 miles away and I'm getting them at 88 signal strength according to the OTA scanning.

Sean, WPLG Channel 10 - shows up on my PG as 10-2 is supposed to be ABC News, (zip code is 33317) what is the procedure again to have this added to show up in my PG?

EDIT: Damn! Scratch that I have a total of 12 new channels including sub-channels! holy crap... Love better hardware... thanks Voom.

Did Voom provide this antenna upgrade for you, Dvlos?

Was this a second upgrade after the Sensar?

Yeah Voom provided it but I did the research. Wash24 on this forum sent me his specs on his antenna but in my area I still need VHF, so I kept digging around on Winegard's site and sent Voom the model numbers and the explination of my problems, the approved the antenna and 4 weeks later it's here.

I had 2 techs try and adjust my OTA while working on other problems first and they couldn't do it. Voom had already sent me the Sensar II from day 1, they said the Channel Master Stealth was too low powered apparently for my area (thank god) but the Sensar II was still to underpowered.

the other reason it took so long is that I got stood up twice by two other companies and I told Voom to screw them and never send them to my house, but ProSat from Miami took the call and took care of it. Technically it's in the same league as the Sensar II antenna but it's omnidirectional, so forget about electrical poles, airports, trees, pointing.. it's grabbing channels from all over my area.

Dvlos said:
Yeah Voom provided it but I did the research. Wash24 on this forum sent me his specs on his antenna but in my area I still need VHF, so I kept digging around on Winegard's site and sent Voom the model numbers and the explination of my problems, the approved the antenna and 4 weeks later it's here.

I had 2 techs try and adjust my OTA while working on other problems first and they couldn't do it. Voom had already sent me the Sensar II from day 1, they said the Channel Master Stealth was too low powered apparently for my area (thank god) but the Sensar II was still to underpowered.

the other reason it took so long is that I got stood up twice by two other companies and I told Voom to screw them and never send them to my house, but ProSat from Miami took the call and took care of it. Technically it's in the same league as the Sensar II antenna but it's omnidirectional, so forget about electrical poles, airports, trees, pointing.. it's grabbing channels from all over my area.
Where exactly in Ft lauderdale are you.. Thats good that you can get WPB stations. I get them with OTA D* but no WPB with Voom. What exactly would I need to do to get this? Also, how big is this antenna??

Good news. I would have bet money something like this was more hype than fact in actually working as advertised. But it apparently does.

Picture:
ms2000b.gif

With the Stealth antenna, I was only getting ABC. I got an antenna upgrade yesterday to the Wineguard (sp?), and now I'm getting ABC, PBS, and PAX (???). I'm going to call them again and see if they'll do another antenna upgrade. This gives me hope that I'll be able to get my channels.

If you live in South FLorida you should easily be able to get all the major networks, all their towers are like in the same vecinity.

Dvlos,

Since you had such good luck with the new antenna, I am also looking at gettting one. Can you tell me if yours is the Metrostar MS2000/Ms2002? The only difference is the MS2002 doesn't come with the cables which I have plenty of. If this is what you have then I will try it too.

Bob

It's the MS2000 I believe the one that they ordered. The MS2002 would be the setup without a diplexer.

?Metrostar2000vs-sensarII

Congrats on your fix. I too am in similar situation and voom is sending tech tomorrow to possibly upgrade to the Sensar w/pwr preamp.Is the Metro superior to Sensar w/pwr preamp or should I hold out for the metro upgrade? Thanks mucho.

I think that they are rated at the same distance but the Metro is omnidirectional, so just install it and forget about it. Sensar II you can point in two directions, I think it's hampered by "blind spots" though. Again it depends on your area.

I have trouble getting 1 local station that is only 1.5 miles away. It is broadcasting at a very low frequency do you think something like this could help in recieving this station?

Wow, that is great! I may have to get one of these too! I have Cheyenne WY 42Mi north and Denver 41Mi South. I saw this but was also skeptical of performance. I guess I could always return it if it didn't work out!

quincy said:
I have trouble getting 1 local station that is only 1.5 miles away. It is broadcasting at a very low frequency do you think something like this could help in recieving this station?

Possibly, my local Fox still has a weaker signal compared to other stations and I get glitches still from that station, but with the wIneguard sensar II i wouldn't pick up that station at all.

I called Voom and spoke with them a couple of times, when the techs that had come out couldn't get all my local OTA with the Winegard Sensar we talked about other options at the time I gave them a list of antennas with the range, they were real cool about it. They and I decided that just having an omnidirectional might cure lots of headaches for all of us and they said "Cool" in about a week it was shipped and installed from the last time I spoke with Voom.

Most of my delay has been because of local installers being dumbasses and saying that my OTA problems was do to bad positioning, they came out and resolved nothing, delaying the eventual approval from Voom. I'd say if you can't get your local OTA, call Voom, do some research first, tell them the miles from the towers you are trying to get, and tell them you want to use this OTA (or another you may prefer). Though I'm telling you that the absolute MAX distance on the MetroStar is EXACTLY 55 miles here in South Florida (flat level elevation) on a two story house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts