Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
Yesterday's FTA Project:

Last night, I added a DISEqc switch THANKS TO ICEBERG!) to my setup. Here is what I have now:

IA7, G10, and then I took the extra feeds from my Dish 500 (110 and 119) and hooked them into the switch. I now am able to listen to the audio channels from Dish and view a few open channels (NASA). This is a nice addition, as I now can listen to the audio ch's from the FTA receiver while my daughter watches Disney on the Dish Network DVR. The only mistake I made was that I hit power scan - all, so I had to go and delete several hundred scrambled channels :)

Thanks again to ICEBERG for prividing the switch and the diagram!

With my fortec, you can delete the whole satellite's channels, then quickly rescan ;)

Congrats on the multisat setup, next you'll have 5 or so dishes out there picking up a little of everything ;)

I probably could have deleted it faster, but I did not want to get the manual out :) I need to go back in and delete the promo channels and also rename the tv and radio channels.

delete a satellite

setup (1st one)
clear data
clear satellite (I think thats what it is)
select satellite :D

Glad its working :)
(I'm happy someone can read my crappy drawings...I did that at work) :)

no thats factory reset that will wipe out everything :D

I learned how to do the satellite erase when I did the same thing a while back (scanned ALL not FTA)

iafirebuff,

Are you getting NASA on a linear or circular LNB?

I have been trying with my linear but can't get it. I can get some of the scrambled channels, they are of course scrambled bt no luck with NASA.

iafirebuff said:
Yesterday's FTA Project:

Last night, I added a DISEqc switch THANKS TO ICEBERG!) to my setup. Here is what I have now:

IA7, G10, and then I took the extra feeds from my Dish 500 (110 and 119) and hooked them into the switch. I now am able to listen to the audio channels from Dish and view a few open channels (NASA). This is a nice addition, as I now can listen to the audio ch's from the FTA receiver while my daughter watches Disney on the Dish Network DVR. The only mistake I made was that I hit power scan - all, so I had to go and delete several hundred scrambled channels :)

Thanks again to ICEBERG for prividing the switch and the diagram!
You can see how this hobby can QUICKLY grow into a monstrous beast! :D Its an ever-consuming quest to get more channels and to get them more efficiently.

Tron said:
You can see how this hobby can QUICKLY grow into a monstrous beast! :D Its an ever-consuming quest to get more channels and to get them more efficiently.
I thought we had decided its not a hobby, but an addiction ;)

drhydro said:
I thought we had decided its not a hobby, but an addiction ;)

I can testify to that! Here's my short history from hobby to addiction:

Even though we have had Star Choice for years, I had been hankering for FTA. Liked what I saw listed on G10R and finally decided it was time, so:

May 23 - Bought dish & receiver, got it set up and locked on G10R in one day.

June 8 - Bought another LNB and a bracket and attached to dish, pointed at IA7 to get one channel: White Springs TV.

June 27 - Bought a circular LNB and mounted it on the dish, pointed
at Echostar 7 to get one channel: NASA (not available here in Canada).

July 2 - Took the LNB off of White Springs TV to free hand hold it to see if I could get IA5 off the side of the Star Choice dish (60cm) (got a signal, low 30's, but I was hand holding it, and standing near the top of the ladder).

July 3 - Bought another LNB and using a home made bracket, mounted it to the Star Choice dish. Signal in the 30's-40's on some of the stronger transponders, but on one of the ones I wanted, the signal was jumping from the 10's to the 30's.

Not good enough, so:

July 4 - Bought another dish and mounted it behind the Star Choice dish, signals in the 60's and 80's on IA5.

My DiSEqC switch is full.

I am done...

I am happy now...

Pretty good story Keith...same here with what started as a hobby and turned into an addiction.

Originally wanted FTA to save some money on my ExpressVu bill. Wanted the radio stations on Nimiq1 (and Galaxie which at the time was unencrypted..no longer)

Dec 03-got a Viacast 2000...this is the bottom of the barrel unit. 10 TP entry, no motor, no channel edit, scans everything in. Took 6 weeks to get it working (found out to enter the frequency you added 000 to the end)
Feb 04-got a 30" dish and ghetto moved it around
April 04-got my Pansat 1500...dang it had BLIND SCAN which was cool :)
May 04-got a 2nd dish. Had one aimed at G10 (because it had some different channels) and AMC6 (Fox KUIL was there). Would still move the AMC6 dish around
October 04-got a DirecPC dish for G3 (hockey games were there and the signal sucked for a 30" dish)
05 bought/sold various receivers/dishes/LNB's
March 06-got my 6 foot dish :)

most of what I have is in my signature but have a 40x30 P* dish that isnt hooked up and a couple boxes that aren't either. Lots of Dish500's/Dish300's/LNB's for them in the closet.

Iceberg said:
Pretty good story Keith...same here with what started as a hobby and turned into an addiction.

Looks like the first few months of FTA are where it happens, like a kid in a candy shop! Good thing LNBs and dishes aren't too expensive.

Actually, it was the photo on another thread of your Star Choice dish with the extra LNB that got me thinking of experimenting with an LNB to try to get IA5 on my dish. While I knew your 75e dish would certainly be better than my 60e dish at pulling down a good signal, I figured it was worth a try. Of course, once I got a signal, it was just a tease, I just had to get another dish to pull in a strong signal!

Just wait till you order and get your motors installed guys... you'll be like a kid in a candy store all over again constantly scanning satellites.

Keith Brannen said:
Actually, it was the photo on another thread of your Star Choice dish with the extra LNB that got me thinking of experimenting with an LNB to try to get IA5 on my dish. While I knew your 75e dish would certainly be better than my 60e dish at pulling down a good signal, I figured it was worth a try. Of course, once I got a signal, it was just a tease, I just had to get another dish to pull in a strong signal!

I just tried that the toher day. tried to get either AMC4 or IA5. AMC4 I got KUIL at 60 or so but nothing else visible :(
IA5 lots of TP's at 30-35..not enough to keep it stable. The extra LNB is for 119 audio :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)