Yet another commitment question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wilcharl

Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Dulles Va
Hate to ask the question with all the handy charts, but it seams that D* any time you cough you extend your commitment 2 yrs....

I have just left Dish and paid an ETF to switch to FIOS, and now I am working on my parents account.

They have had D* for 14 months and when they got their install, they got a nice SWM setup with one HD receiver and 3 SD receivers.

Now they have a second HD tv, and want to switch an SD receiver out for an HD. As I understand it, D* will be glad to do it for a nice 2 yr extension (not going to happen for them) as they now have Uverse in their hood

So short of running 2 TVs off the one receiver, if they BUY a USED and OWNED D* HD receiver off of eBay that is verified as being OWNED and CLEAN and activate it ... Is there a commitment extension?

I know many of the "owned" units are really leased, but lets say it truly is a USED OWNED receiver are they good with adding it without getting the commitment extension?

Thanx all!

I know many of the "owned" units are really leased, but lets say it truly is a USED OWNED receiver are they good with adding it without getting the commitment extension?

Thanx all!

You should be good here, but I'll let Stonecold chime in and say for sure.

You should be good here, but I'll let Stonecold chime in and say for sure.

As long as it's actually owned you should not extend your commitment.

Sorry guys, whenever you activate a recvr on your account that is new to you (outside of a replacement) you get the 2 year commitment (HD or DVR) SD is only 12 month.

Sorry guys, whenever you activate a recvr on your account that is new to you (outside of a replacement) you get the 2 year commitment (HD or DVR) SD is only 12 month.

Really? That doesn't seem right at all. I can see if you lease one because you are getting a far cheaper rate by paying an upfront lease fee of $99, $199, or free (if you can get it) than by purchasing one at retail value, but then you are locking into a 2 year programming commitment. It doesn't make sense to me that if you pay full retail, whatever that might be if it's used or purchased through Direct TV, you should not also have to commit to a new contract.

Actually, didn't Stonecold actually say this situation shouldn't trigger a new commitment in his contract extension thread?

So short of running 2 TVs off the one receiver...

If you connect 2 HDTVs to one D* HD receiver, only 1 of them will actually show HD. The 2nd will be down-converted to SD, which would defeat the whole point since you already have an SD receiver on that TV.

Really? That doesn't seem right at all. I can see if you lease one because you are getting a far cheaper rate by paying an upfront lease fee of $99, $199, or free (if you can get it) than by purchasing one at retail value, but then you are locking into a 2 year programming commitment. It doesn't make sense to me that if you pay full retail, whatever that might be if it's used or purchased through Direct TV, you should not also have to commit to a new contract.

Actually, didn't Stonecold actually say this situation shouldn't trigger a new commitment in his contract extension thread?

I don't recall, but he would be the one with the ONLY answer. (or D* themselves).
Hopefully he'll see this or you could PM him.

If you connect 2 HDTVs to one D* HD receiver, only 1 of them will actually show HD. The 2nd will be down-converted to SD, which would defeat the whole point since you already have an SD receiver on that TV.

So your saying that if I use HDMI to TV1 and Component to the other TV that the Component feed is SD ?

I don't think so.

Jimbo said:
So your saying that if I use HDMI to TV1 and Component to the other TV that the Component feed is SD ?

I don't think so.

LOL. Yea. My second HDTV hooked via a 50 ft. HDMI must be showing one hell of a nice sd picture.

You are right. Will show hd that is mirrored to the other HDTV of the same receiver.

LOL. Yea. My second HDTV hooked via a 50 ft. HDMI must be showing one hell of a nice sd picture.

You are right. Will show hd that is mirrored to the other HDTV of the same receiver.

So your second TV is showing an HD picture or a SD picture.

IIRC, ALL the outputs on the recvrs are hot, so the Component as well as the HDMI should be hot in HD.

Any other outputs would not be as they don't support HD, from what I recall, been awhile since I dealt with non HD potential.

Jimbo said:
So your second TV is showing an HD picture or a SD picture.

IIRC, ALL the outputs on the recvrs are hot, so the Component as well as the HDMI should be hot in HD.

Any other outputs would not be as they don't support HD, from what I recall, been awhile since I dealt with non HD potential.

Yep. Both showing HD. I use a hdmi splitter so I am able to use the Hdmi output for both tv's. The RF remote is very responsive.

Where do you find a newer recvr for sale as an OWNER ?

What is the price tag on a OWNED HR24 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)