Yet another crazy setup idea

ajohnson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
Riverside, CA
Oh look, another image :D

uhf-ch3-sat-hd2.gif

Basically, I'm finally getting around to setting up HD in my bedroom. I have a uhf antenna in the attic, and a dvr in the wiring closet, along with the satellite feeds. I'm wondering if it's ok to combine the uhf antenna line with the dvr RF out, take that combined signal into a diplexor along with a satellite feed, run that through the house RG6 to where the HD receiver is, un-diplex the signal and get the OTA digital channels, the dvr output on channel 3, and my dish channels.

I really don't want to try and run another wire in this room. If this wont work I'll probably buy some white wire raceway conduit and run a 2nd and maybe a 3rd cable through that.

What do you guys think?

You have to ensure that your splitter/combiner will prevent the channel 3 signal from going back up the UHF antenna, and that your diplexers are of the correct type.

oljim said:
The ch 3 from rec. will kill any HD from ant. Run cable from ant to HD rec. and forget all the other junk.
Only if a splitter is used. If a combiner is used that will not be the case. I bought a combiner from RadioShack (they clearanced them for about $1.50! :D) and am using CH. 3 (VHF Low) and a UHF signal source, and there is not any cross interference from either on either side.

I've got it working just fine now, DVR on channel 3 and my OTA HD channels :)

I did try a regular splitter/combiner at first, and the signal from the DVR is what got degraded. HD UHF worked fine. I even have the DVR output going to a 10db distribution amplifier first (it's going to several rooms). I ended up going to RS and picking up one that has "DC Pass" marked on the UHF side, just like a diplexor. Only goes to 900mhz so it wouldn't work for SAT, but it seems just fine for combining the UHF HD antenna with the dvr. Couldn't find it on clearance though, cost me 20 bucks. Part #15-1237

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)