Please reply by conversation.

Shawn95GT

Tivo fanatic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Two second Background:
I bought the 3500s when I decided to setup a C/Ku dish. I need skew control and the component video is just gravy. I had a Coolsat 4000 Pro previously.

I'm getting really frustrated with the Pansat. Some of these things may be fixable. Lets's discus :).

1. The sats seems to be sorted West to East, and not only that but the C band sats are totally separate from the Ku side. Can I re-order them East to West with the C & Ku versions right next to each other like the Coolsat?

My big complaint is the C band being totally separate. Due to the downright silly DiSEqC 1.2 handling on the Pansat, you need to position the dish and save even if it is in the same location (C & Ku). Well you can't do this with the C and Ku sats on opposite ends of the list because if you hit an active sat while scrolling, the dish moves - grrr. To aggravate this further, you can't just position to and 'store' G10R/C to P40 and just set the G10R/Ku to P40. You HAVE to 'store' whatever position the dish is at.

2. What is the use of that screen that comes up after a 'smart scan'? If you could delete channels from there it would be GREAT.

If you can delete from there, please share how :) !

3. During the smart scan I'll sometimes see it scan the same channel in 2 or 3 times. I'll go check the channel list and it weeds out most of the dupes.

Is this just an anomaly I should ignore?

4. Smart scan will find a transponder off by 1 or 2 Mhz from the one programmed in..... it doesn't update the transponder, it keeps the preset one.

If the Coolsat 5000 came out tomorrow and had skew control I'd buy it in an instant over this Pansat. I feel like a Mac user who just got a x86 Win XP machine dropped on their desk and told to go to work.

I'm sure a lot of it is just getting used to it but the Pansat feels REAL clunky after getty comfy on the Coolsat.

I'm not sure if this applies to the Pansat but I use ChannelMaster from SharpC to do all my satellite editing, channels lists, transponder changes, deletions, etc on my Fortec Ultra. It also lets you reorder the satellites, etc. I couldn't see going back to the remote.

5. On the delete channel menu, there is no preview.

I'm sure they have their reasons but I REALLY liked this feature on the Coolsat. Last night I had two copies of the Outdoor channel East and West. The dupes didn't have sound. I had to hop back and forth a couple times between watching the channel and the delete menu to be sure I was deleting the correct one.

I'll have a look at the ChannelMaster software. I've read good things about it. From what you describe, this will fix #1 nicely.

Out of the Box the Coolsat was setup pretty nice but Using NDFEdit I was able to get it just right.

Shawn

Shawn95GT 1. The sats seems to be sorted West to East said:
My big complaint is the C band being totally separate. Due to the downright silly DiSEqC 1.2 handling on the Pansat, you need to position the dish and save even if it is in the same location (C & Ku). Well you can't do this with the C and Ku sats on opposite ends of the list because if you hit an active sat while scrolling, the dish moves - grrr. To aggravate this further, you can't just position to and 'store' G10R/C to P40 and just set the G10R/Ku to P40. You HAVE to 'store' whatever position the dish is at.[/Color]
use Channelmaster..works great. You can sort satellites and delete them if needed

2. What is the use of that screen that comes up after a 'smart scan'? If you could delete channels from there it would be GREAT.

If you can delete from there, please share how :) !
allows you to see the channels in one setup before saving them :)

3. During the smart scan I'll sometimes see it scan the same channel in 2 or 3 times. I'll go check the channel list and it weeds out most of the dupes.

Is this just an anomaly I should ignore?
if its a duplicate, it usually deletes them. My KUsat does the same thing
4. Smart scan will find a transponder off by 1 or 2 Mhz from the one programmed in..... it doesn't update the transponder, it keeps the preset one.
if the symbol rate is different, it stores it. It makes it so when you do a satellite scan, you don't have 5 of the same channel because of a 1 or 2 frequency off.

On that one, ask a Satwork 3688 person about that (damn unit stores all frequencies even if the same so when you scan, it has 10 of one TP)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)