Yet another thread about local network availability

Minto Took

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Chicago, IL
I was wondering if there was any resource at all that I could watch to see a timeline to when local networks will be available on a spot-beam. I've called and emailed DISH and both times I got redirected to AllAmericanDirect like I'm sure they were supposed to do. I'm able to get ABC and FOX from them but neither CBS or NBC. I'm in the Lafayette, IN area with a DISH 500.

I think what you are asking is, how can I tell when or if Dish carries my locals? Probably by looking at the running thread of "uplink activity" here.

I recall from other threads that Lafayette IN doesn't have all (4) major networks to begin with. Dish was skirting the law by bringing in the other out-of-town networks to give you all (4). I believe Savannah GA is in a similar situation and they used this city as an example on a Charlie or Tech Chat recently.

According to EKB here, http://ekb.dbstalk.com/sdlocaldetail.htm#L, Lafayette IN only has a CBS station. Is that true ??

What Nielson should do with the Lafayette DMA is merge it with the Indianapolis DMA. It would not be a problem with the CBS affiliates (WISH or WLFI) since both are owned by Lin Broadcasting. Dish could simply add WLFI to the Indy locals and then be able to sell the Indy locals to the three counties currently in the Lafayette DMA. Currently WLFI's digital signal penatrates most of Metro Indianapolis.

It does, but Insight cable carries the Indianapolis locals along with that CBS station (WLFI).

Right, & the way E* would have to bring those stations to you in YOUR DMA, is to use Significantly Viewed status. Unfortunately, E* lost their ability to do that as part of being able to supply DNS service to your area as well. (THAT'S why you were redirected to AAD ;) )

Until E* gets permission to be able to do this, you're probably SOL for the foreseeable furture. Since you ONLY have 1 local station, why don't you just "move" your account to Indy & get all their networks with no muss or fuss & be done with it. You should have NO trouble picking up Indy's spotbeam in your area. ;) ;)

LIN Broadcasting has a monopoly on Lafayette local news now, that's why they won't encourage it. No stations in Indianapolis will give you a waiver, even if those did any good. If we got rid of WLFI, we'd automatically be back in the Indianapolis DMA. Check out the DMA map. Counties NORTH of of us are in the Indy DMA. I call BS!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)