You think you know what you're doing...

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
Then you proceed to prove you were just fooling yourself!

Been battling a Linux install on my new toy (a Dell T5400) for exam prep and CentOS 7 exploration and thought I was going to lose it. Turns out MacOS makes good coasters out of iso images ;-)

In know you're think... Wh wh wh what???? So let me 'splain. I was double (or right clicking) on the .I so image to burn and Mac OS dutifully create a data disc with the ISO as the file. Instead of burning the ISO as an iso.

Once I used disk utility to burn it magically worked.

One of those oy vey moments for me!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TheKrell
John, as you know an iso file is a compressed container for video file structure designed to be played on a BD or DVD player. The dvd or BD copy /burning utility should have a setting to create a data disk, but many will just see *.iso and by design unpack the iso file and burn you a playable disk. No more iso, just a folder structure that will be recognizable for set top player use. These utulities called " image burn" utilities don't even have the setting.

I use Roxio optical disk creator. It has several settings but if I want to copy an iso file to the DVD-R and have it remain an iso file on the DVD-R, I select "burn data disk"
If I want to take an iso file and burn it to a DVD-R and make the DVD playable in my DVD player, I select "burn image file"
It also has a setting to make copies of disks, assuming no copy protection. This produces an exact clone of the original.

I also have a quick and easy image burn tool that goes to work making a playable disk with no settings or choices. Everything is automatic.

Mestevo is absolutely correct. It is not limited to video or CD content.

This was a cautionary tale as in, when it doesn't work the way you think it should, check your results and save your exasperation lesson.

I think Don knows this, but that's not how it comes across.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)