Your best personal sports memories as a fan

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
I made a top ten list several years ago, but obviously it has changed quite a bit.

Here's my updated Top Ten:

1. Red Sox win the World Series in 2004. 86 years. Generation after generation come and go. For me, nothing else is close.

2. Patriots win the Super Bowl in Feb. 2002. Heavy, heavy underdogs and arguably the best finish in Super Bowl history

3. Red Sox come back from 0-3 and win the 2004 ALCS. The only non-championship on my list and admittedly the opponent has a lot to do with this, but I've never had a more sleep deprived four nights in my life!

4. Patriots win the Super Bowl in Feb. 2004. THe second half of Panthers-Patriots was epic!

5. Red Sox win the World Series in 2007. One word: VALIDATION

6. Celtics win the 1984 NBA Championship. IMO, this Celtics-Lakers battle was the best ever. Bird vs. Magic....nuff said

7. LAST NIGHT!!!!! :)

8. Patriots win the Super Bowl in Feb. 2005. Back-to-back was sweet!

9. Celtics win the 2008 NBA Championship. I was on vacation in Florida for this one, but it was just as sweet. KG's postgame interview was awesome.

10. Celtics win the 1986 NBA Championship. One of the greatest NBA teams ever!

Ironically enough, with all the recent success of the Boston teams, it wasn't always this way. I could just as easily come up with a top 10 disappointments.

What are YOUR most memorable sports memories?

Last edited:
They are currently taking a poll on NESN.com..."What team won your favorite drought-ending championship"?

*2004 Red Sox- 48%
*2011 Bruins- 37%
*2001 Patriots- 13%
*2008 Celtics- 2%

WOW!!! I'm shocked that the Bruins are that close to the Red Sox! :eek:

Maybe it's a case of "recency over primacy", but it's not like 2004 is ancient history.

I'm hoping it means Boston is once again the hockey hot bed it was 30-40 years ago! :)

I think recency hasa lot to do with it. the pats at only 13% is a little surprising. I mean they had simply never been thought of as a championship team before that first Super bowl win and it was a fantastic ending.

But yes I remember when boston had 3 hockey teams and it was hard to get a ticket to see any of them.

I saw Bob Forsch no-hit the Phillies on April 16,1978 in St Louis as the Cardinals won 5-0
Saw Game 3 of 2006 world series in St. Lou as Cards beat Tigers.
September 2010 in St Lou for stand for Stan day as Cardinals honored The Greatest Cardinal of all, Stan Musial.
Saw Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, and many other good players throughout my lifetime at Busch

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I was live at all these events.

- Last year's perfect game against the Marlins by Roy Halladay of the Phillies.
- Michael Jordan's 55 point game in MSG the 2nd game after coming back from "retirement".
- The U comeback from a 16 deficit by scoring 17 points in the final 5 minutes to beat the Wolverines in Ann Abor 31-30 in 1988.
- The U comeback to beat then #1 UCLA 49-45 at th Orange Bowl......even did a little storming of the field in 1998.
- Watched Seatle Slew win the Flamingo Stakes with the 3rd fastest times EVER.....and then watched him will the Belmont Stakes in June and bcome the only Triple Crown winner to ever complete the series undefeated.
- Saw my favorite college basketball player, Dwayne "Pearl" Washington's 1st game as a freshman at Syracuse, sinking a halfcourt shot at the buzzer to beat Boston College in 1984. Never missing a beat, as soon as he shot it, he ran straight to the locker room because he knew it was nothing but net.
- 2003, the year the Marlins won the World Series, the most memorable play for that team was the clincher against the Giants in game 6 in Pro Player when JT Snow tried to score from 2nd with the tying run in the 9th inning by bulldozing Pudge Rodriguez...who held on to the ball and showed it to everyone in the stadium to end the game and the series.

There are many more. I have been involved in sports as a career which has made me very, very fortunate.

My top 4
1. This years frozen four and NCAA playoffs in general. Mn Duluth brings home the title 1st time ever!
2. This years NCAA D2 football championship. 2nd title in 3 years..win on FG last play of game
3. 2003-2004 UMD sweeping the hated MN Goofers in 4 games 1st time ever...and chucking a bunch of brooms on the ice :)
4. 2008 D2 football championship. 1st title for UMD

the 87 & 91 World Series get thrown in there too

Easy ones for me -

UConn's 1st national title in the "Duke Invitational" :rolleyes: in 1999.

UConn's first game at Rentschler Field.

Mets - 1986 - the whole @#$%@#%$@ing postseason.

As a kid:

1. US Hockey Team, 1980.

2. Yankees beat the Bosox in the play-off to get into the playoffs ('78) -- only baseball game ever got to watch IN school.

3. 1977 World Series of Mr. October.

As an adult:

1. Sitting front row, center court for the ISU Women's NIT game against Illinois last year; never had more fun at a game, men or women's, just amazing energy.

2. Tiger Woods back in 2000 at Pebble Beach. And the Tiger Slam. Amazing golf.

3. Bronco's first Super Bowl victory after 97 season.

I made a top ten list several years ago, but obviously it has changed quite a bit.

Here's my updated Top Ten:

1. Red Sox win the World Series in 2004. 86 years. Generation after generation come and go. For me, nothing else is close.

2. Patriots win the Super Bowl in Feb. 2002. Heavy, heavy underdogs and arguably the best finish in Super Bowl history

3. Red Sox come back from 0-3 and win the 2004 ALCS. The only non-championship on my list and admittedly the opponent has a lot to do with this, but I've never had a more sleep deprived four nights in my life!

4. Patriots win the Super Bowl in Feb. 2004. THe second half of Panthers-Patriots was epic!

5. Red Sox win the World Series in 2007. One word: VALIDATION

6. Celtics win the 1984 NBA Championship. IMO, this Celtics-Lakers battle was the best ever. Bird vs. Magic....nuff said

7. LAST NIGHT!!!!! :)

8. Patriots win the Super Bowl in Feb. 2005. Back-to-back was sweet!

9. Celtics win the 2008 NBA Championship. I was on vacation in Florida for this one, but it was just as sweet. KG's postgame interview was awesome.

10. Celtics win the 1986 NBA Championship. One of the greatest NBA teams ever!

Ironically enough, with all the recent success of the Boston teams, it wasn't always this way. I could just as easily come up with a top 10 disappointments.

What are YOUR most memorable sports memories?

Well, your top two are my bottom two. I was at both which made it worse.

My best was game 7 1982 World Series .(see avatar) Had standing room only tickets. Knew the usher for the box seats and he let us down in that section. For 2 innings there were 2 empty seats on the firstbase side about 15 rows up. We asked the guys in the seat next to them if we could sit there, they said the seats were friends of theres but we could sit there till they came.They never did. After Sutter stuck out the final batter we ran on the field with a few thousand other and celebrated the night away!!

Last edited:
Well, your top two are my bottom two. I was at both which made it worse.

My best was game 7 1982 World Series .(see avatar) Had standing room only tickets. Knew the usher for the box seats and he let us down in that section. For 2 innings there were 2 empty seats on the firstbase side about 15 rows up. We asked the guys in the seat next to them if we could sit there, they said the seats were friends of theres but we could sit there till they came.They never did. After Sutter stuck out the final batter we ran on the field with a few thousand other and celebrated the night away!!

Cool avatar!! :up Is that Bruce Sutter and Darrell Porter?

I remember the '82 Series very well, it was dubbed the "Suds Series".

The final game at Yankees Stadium

The 1992 Hooters 500 at Atlanta when Alan Kulwicki won the championship with his Underbird and did his second and final Polish Victory lap

The 1993 Daytona 500. The ‘Dale & Dale Show’. I became a Jarrett fan with that race, but that was so awesome hearing Ned Jarrett call Dale’s victory. What a father and son moment!

The final two minutes and thirty nine seconds of Super Bowl XLII

The Music City Miracle

My favorite sports memory of all time, Rangers @ Sabres Round 2, Game 5 in 2007. Such a pivitol game, such an emotion swing, and it was on my Birthday!

1. Superbowl XXXVI Patriots 20 Rams 17 Will always be my #1 and not even close to #2

2. 1997 Sugar Bowl Florida 52 Florida State 20 First National Title for the Gators

3. Last Night

4. 2008 NBA Finals game 6 It is my favorite Celtics title because my sons were around to enjoy it with me

5. Superbowl XXXVIII Patriots 32 Panthers 29 Adam and leave, again.

6. Superbowl XXXIX Patriots 24 Eagles 21 Clock-killing Corey Dillon, also cemented Brady's legacy as one of the all-time greats.

7. Miracle on Ice Was only 8, but remember watching the tape delay with my Dad and sister.

8. 2004 World Series Red Sox sweep Cardinals. Finally

9. 2006 NCAA Basketball title game Gators 1st basketball national title.

10. 2007 World Series Red Sox sweep Rockies. Backed up 2004

Seeing VanVelde or whatever his name was finally can the eight footer he needed to salvage a triple bogey to force a playoff in the British Open. I mean, if he had missed it, he would have been obligated to do the honorable thing and commit suicide right on the spot.

Corey Pavin's 3-wood approach shot on the last hole of the US Open was big, too.

But for team sports, nothing meant more to me than the Yankees/'Orioles game played on the day they buried Thurman Munson, which I recently chronicled in detail here and which I'm sure many of you have seen on ESPN's Classic Sports channel.

I guess Villanova's win against Georgetown in the NCAA Finals when they went something like 20 for 21 in the second half has to rank up there as well.

And the biggest play in any team sport of a team that I was a fan of has to be Dave Robert's stolen base in 2004.

Or Jose Tartabul throwing out Ken Berry at home with two out in the ninth to preserve a one run victory against the Chicago White Sox in a 1967 regular season game.

Secretariat at Belmont, 1973.

A guy in my gym class who wore glasses with the elastic strap to keep them on his head gets whacked in the face and grabs the glasses with one hand and wildly flings the basketball in disgust in the general direction of the basket with the other, from 20 feet away... and it goes in.

Last edited:
AntAltMike said:
Or Jose Tartabul throwing out Ken Berry at home with two out in the ninth to preserve a one run victory against the Chicago White Sox in a 1967 regular season game.

I am still good friends with the Tartabuls because I played high school baseball with Danny Tartabul at Carol City in Miami.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)