Your first car.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Red 1966 VW Beetle I bought in 1971. I wanted to put a glasspack header on it, but couldn't afford it, so I took off the stock exhaust tips that had a muffler core and put on straight chrome tips. I didn't realize how loud the thing was until I traded it in on my first brand new car, a '72 Pinto, and when they drove it away I heard it from outside the car. My girlfriend-now wife, didn't have as much warning I was coming after that. She couldn't hear me from 2 blocks away anymore. :D

Heh...heh. Glad I wasn't the only one. On my second car, a 1968 Olds 442, I had these short florescent green glass-packs (Smitty's Green Power) just back of the headers. My girlfriend/wife could always hear me coming up the hill where she lived, the car rattled her Mom's windows! :D

Nightryder

75 GMC Jimmy New ... in 75... bought and paid on it till I traded it for a 76 Jimmy in 76 ;), 77 GMC 4x4 1/2 ton, 78 GMC 4x4 3/4 ton... you see a pattern here :D... 79 GMC 1/2 ton 4x4 that I still have to this day but with the price of gas haven't driven since last fall...

Too funny! My 1st car was very similar; 1967 Plymouth Valiant. Those slant six's were pretty much bullet-proof. Three speed manual on the column (3 on the tree). Other than occasional valve cover leak and the fact it was very anemic/gutless, I loved the hell out of the car. I ended up breaking even by selling the car for $250. Last I heard, the engine finally died at 400,000 miles.

Mine had 200,000 miles and a broken leaf spring when my dad traded it for a new car for my sister. I was in basic training so my dad figured I didn't need or want it anymore.

1950 Buick with a straight 8 engine. A great car. I traded it for a 57 Chevy. Even better car.

I have you beat if this counts-

I learned to drive with a 1941 Oldsmobile station wagon, the one with the solid oak body. :) But then after I got my license my dad gave me a 52 Pontiac with the same straight 8 engine, after he showed me how to rebuild the engine.
But when I was a senior in HS. I had enough money saved from my jobs working as a carpenter's helper and apprentice electrician to buy a new car. I bought a '66 Mustang. The '66 Mustang what I consider "my" first car.

My first car was a mint 1967 Chevy Chevelle SS 396 when I was turned 16. I sold it and picked up two near-mint 71 Baracuda convertibles, 383 and 440, when I turned 17. I consider all of them my first car.:)

1968 Mustang. Bought it for $200. Lost it to a carburator fire 3 months later. Insurance cashed me out for $600. Can't remember what I bought next.

My first car was a 1976 AMC Hornet, and yes it was GREEN. It had a straight 6 in it too with all four brakes drum brakes and they weren't power brakes either.

1988 Ford Tempo..........not nearly as glamourous as some but it was a damn good car! It had many different stereos over the years, as many as 14 speakers at one time. My fav. system was a mere 4 speakers and 1 subwoofer but the car was stuffed with extra insulation and noise control products which eliminated most rattles and made the stereo sound oh so sweet!!!!
Since then 1992 Ford Ranger, 1998 Chevy 4x4 reg. cab. and currently 1998 Chevy Silverado Z-71 Ext. Cab. with very low mileage for it's age..........I just love that body style and 1998 was the last year of production.

My 1st car was a 67 Firebird. I bought it with paper route and grass cutting money in 1971. I don't remember what I paid, but I think it was around $1500. It was also my 1st time for a Bank Loan. My Dad insisted I get a loan to establish Credit. I had the Cash and wish I had never gotten that loan. But that's another story?

Al

My first car was a white 1995 Ford Mustang with the 3.8 v6 engine. It only had 39,000 miles on it. I bought it in 1997. Dang head gasket blew a few times. I wanted a v8 GT but couldn't afford it at the time. I bought a red 1998 Ford Mustang Gt with only 23,000 miles on it in 2001 and still have it. I ended up trading the 95 Mustang in for a 1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Turbo. Someone souped it up. Awesome car.

My first car was a 1978 GMC heavy 1/2 ton pickup regular cab with no fancy features. My brother did a job for someone and they gave it to him. Had no motor in it, and it had been sitting for about 10 years. All of the tires actually held air, transmission was pulled when motor was pulled. When I turned 15 1/2, I started working on it, cleaning it up and stuff. I worked and got about $900 to get a motor, and my brother helped me install it (along with replacing fuel pump, oil pump, fuel filters, cleaning out gas tank, etc.). Had this truck until the transmission went out the second time four years later.

By the time I was done, I had replaced just about every replaceable part on it. Ignition switch, pitman arm, idler arm, tie rod ends, shocks, brakes and brake cylinders--rebuilt--all of the hoses, transmission, rear end, of course ball joints, u-joints, and tires. However, looking back, wish I still had this old truck. Last time I saw it, it had been wrecked and totally trashed by some kid that bought it from the dealer I traded it in at (with a transmission that needed replacing).

1950 Dodge 3/4ton Pu. Bought it at an auction, almost got killed on the way home when I tried to stop. Steering wheel yanked out of my hands, almost ended up in a ditch. The straight six sounded like a sewing machine when running. Fixed it up and drove it for a couple years. Nothing like having to double clutch to shift, and vacumm operated windshield wipers.:D

1950 Dodge 3/4ton Pu. Bought it at an auction, almost got killed on the way home when I tried to stop. Steering wheel yanked out of my hands, almost ended up in a ditch. The straight six sounded like a sewing machine when running. Fixed it up and drove it for a couple years. Nothing like having to double clutch to shift, and vacumm operated windshield wipers.:D

My Dad had a '51. Foot starter, battery under plate on the drivers side floorboard. That plate would get bent and short out the battery, caused lot's of excitement! Loved the double clutching and down shifting was always an adventure :D

NightRyder

A couple of hand me downs but the real first one in college was a brown Honda Civic 81 with no air and a bad clutch. My dad and brother went through it and when it got to me, the clutch was all worn out. It was a good car though especially after getting the clutch fixed.

It's amazing how many of our first cars were complete pieces of sh*t, yet we loved them anyhow.

Your nuts, I hated mine. It didn't have air or power breaks and had no radio until I bought one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)