Your Ideas for FTA Programming for the USA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chickiehaute

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 1, 2014
If you could request more types of FTA programming, what kind of programming would you want to see and why? Do you think it would create more interest in the USA?

I’d like to see more original programming in general. There are many good channels playing classic shows and movies, foreign shows and some good syndicated programs, but I can’t think of a channel that offers a lot of original programming. Maybe a fta version of history channel, diy channel, or a&e. It should be hd and to be sucessful would need to be some place like 99w c band where there is already fta english programming that is easy to receive.

I do like my pbs. Another pbs channel with similar but different shows than the current pbs would be great for me. Make it hd, put it on 99w c band and we have our new channel.:bigok

Reactions: northgeorgia
I´d like more FTA on Ku. Classic tv on Ku, I think there is nothing left of classic tv on Ku.
I´d like to have more international news channels also on Ku, there are some other options out there but not on Ku on this side of the world, like IsraelNews 24.
I´d like also to have NHK World, Deutsche Welle and the like on Ku.

I'd like a science channel and maybe one with thrillers/classic horror/sci fi movies. I know the kids would like some music channels.

Last edited:
Sad thing is, it will never be like that here, how if is in Europe I mean. Do a Google search and look sometime at FreeSat and FreeView in Great Britian probably nearly 100 free decent ad supported cable type channels.
If I could "pick" things to be free to air, I wish we could go back like it was from the "birth" of TVRO (home reception) in about 1979-1986 before HBO scrambled and the skys were free.

I'll second the science and educational programming, although PBS and NASA TV do well, there could always be more.

Movie channels? Sometimes I like to sit and watch a movie... but I have to watch it several times because I end up sleeping through half of it...

CBC... I really enjoyed having the CBC FTA when it was... My tax $$ at work there, would be nice not to have to pay twice to watch it, and anyone else can watch it too (yes including those south of the 49th!)

I would like to see more foreign news broadcasts and documentaries in English, just as we should be broadcasting American news programs and documentaries around the world. Ideally, everyone should be able to tune in on the views and opinions of those in other nations. Filtering foreign broadcasts is what we have seen from Nazi and Communist regimes. We cannot allow our politicians to filter what we are allowed to see and hear.

It is the politicians who start the wars, and these wars are usually based on lies and demonizing other nations and cultures. We can't depend on those with a lust for power to tell us the truth.

Sad thing is, it will never be like that here, how if is in Europe I mean. Do a Google search and look sometime at FreeSat and FreeView in Great Britian probably nearly 100 free decent ad supported cable type channels.
If I could "pick" things to be free to air, I wish we could go back like it was from the "birth" of TVRO (home reception) in about 1979-1986 before HBO scrambled and the skys were free.

You beat me to it, I thought of the Freesat models from UK and NZ. Most of those are not private ad supported profit channels. They are ran/paid for/subsidized by the government. The BBC's are a good example. They also have a thing called a "TV license" which basically everyone with a color TV in UK is required to purchase and pay for annually. Between UK tax dollars and the TV license the channels aren't exactly free but they are funded. I think we'd need something like that here which will never happen in order to get a real service off the ground. Dish, DirecTV and Comcast would never allow this. They don't want the European model here where people can get a nice selection of decent content for "free" without having to sub.

You beat me to it, I thought of the Freesat models from UK and NZ. Most of those are not private ad supported profit channels. They are ran/paid for/subsidized by the government. The BBC's are a good example. They also have a thing called a "TV license" which basically everyone with a color TV in UK is required to purchase and pay for annually. Between UK tax dollars and the TV license the channels aren't exactly free but they are funded. I think we'd need something like that here which will never happen in order to get a real service off the ground. Dish, DirecTV and Comcast would never allow this. They don't want the European model here where people can get a nice selection of decent content for "free" without having to sub.
I know that Britain has a TV license as does most of Western Europe. But, only the BBC is still public, ITV, Four, and Five are now privatized.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'd love to see more English and even foreign-language movie channels (maybe with English subs, too). When Klasik TV from Croatia was carried by Globecast and put in the clear for several months, I was actually enjoying their films and beginning to understand a lot of the Croatian subtitles (I guess a little study of Serbo-Croat, and more in-depth study of Russian, and Romanian helped, too). My sister-in-law would like some secular Tagalog programming again.

What would be nice is a old style Turner Broadcasting channel that would air older episodes of programming, similar to Kuwait TV 2. I saw "Property Brothers" the other night. A music video channel would also be nice. I echo the same things that 77TA said -- PBS is great, as is Ebru. I'd like even more variety :)

Oh, one other thing I would like to see full time BBC world new service 24/7 on KU band with subtitling with teltext, and same goes for Frances 24 in English with subtitling and teltext .:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts