Your smart card does not currenly have authorization to view or order this program.

I just received the following statement from Dish Network on todays issue...

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Doesn't dish believe in server redundancy, hot swapping, mirroring and all that fancy IT stuff. Does Dish need a Network admin at the Uplink, If so I'm available for a small price. You just have to give me 15 days headway so I can let my employer know :)

"A server failure at an uplink center overnight caused a temporary loss of programming being delivered to a small percentage of DISH Network customers. The issue was resolved quickly and those customers affected had their programming restored by morning."

A small percentage of customers? Is that why all lines were busy when I called in and they shut off all customer service on their chat lines?? My service was out for over 5 hours.

Charlie, "You Lie".

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add info.

My 501 and 625 that have SmartCards failed. My 722 with no "physical" SmartCard worked fine. A transponder failure now sounds very unlikely. Location: Denver

But maybe there is a dedicated server to feed data to a given Xponder? As goaliebob pointed out, there should be redundancy in the data center, but there are still things that can take out redundant servers (like software errors) so clustering it isn't a universal panacea...

"A server failure at an uplink center overnight caused a temporary loss of programming being delivered to a small percentage of DISH Network customers. The issue was resolved quickly and those customers affected had their programming restored by morning."

A small percentage of customers? Is that why all lines were busy when I called in and they shut off all customer service on their chat lines?? My service was out for over 5 hours.

Charlie, "You Lie".

Small percentage is a standard line by companies when problem happens. I recall how MS said that only small percentage of users r effected by Xbox RRD...but in truth was a lot.

erm...no.

a transponder is a device that beams a signal back to earth from the sat in orbit.

a server is on the ground feeding data to the sat in orbit.

much easier to fix/replace a server than a transponder :cool:

I know what the difference is, I was meaning that maybe Dish Network didn't lol. Surely they are smarter than that. Maybe they wanted to make people think it was something else so that they would not be made a fool for not having better backup / failover for their servers.

But maybe there is a dedicated server to feed data to a given Xponder? As goaliebob pointed out, there should be redundancy in the data center, but there are still things that can take out redundant servers (like software errors) so clustering it isn't a universal panacea...

True that, and thats why we allways had backups and could easly restore data within a few hours if needed. :)

Don't know if it is related to this or not, but around 8:40 PM here in the SF Bay Area we lost all the locals that come from Dish - if you try to tune to any of these channels you get a slate up that says "Sorry for the interruption. There is no need to call us. We are working to have this channel back as soon as possible. You may still watch non-local programming by pressing the GUIDE button on your remote control and seleting another channel."

Monday afternoon I had same message on screen when I turned tv on. Then my 612 rebooted three times with message to "remove smartcard and re-insert it". Funny, my receiver does not have card in the slot. Wednesday my receiver could not find any transponders for about an hour.

So, Alaska experienced some problems already Monday morning.

Yesterday I noticed my online account showed about $450 new charges but after I refreshed my account page, it went back to correct information.

Today Friday everything seems to work just fine..

I don't know if this is related but last night random channels were showing a black screen...sound but no picture. This was primarily on the HD channels but not all of them. Even those stored on my external drive were the same, black screen, no picture. I started to call Dish but decided to reboot my system and it fixed the problem. First time I have had this issue. Strange.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)