Your Thoughts on an 18 game NFL Schedule?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
Marvez: Should the NFL expand its regular season to 18 games? - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

I came across this article about if the NFL would add 2 more games to the schedule. If your asking me, I like adding 2 more games and getting rid of 2 preseason games. I mean I know concussions and injuries overall are questions about not adding 2 games but maybe some of these guys should learn how to tackle and not try to hurt somebody (James Harrison). I also think there should be more of a stricter policy on hits. I mean I know that there are trying to curb helmet to helmet hits but I think that was long overdue. Go as far back as when Daryl Stingley got paralyzed in a PRESEASON GAME!! A PRESEASON GAME!! Right then and there should have been stricter rules. Although, some people feel the hit was fine as the person who hit Stingley, I dont think, even apologized. I know when the Raiders hit people they stand by it.

Improve and continue to work on making the helmet to helmet rules and calls more consistent, continue to identify ways to make the game safer and lessen the load on players during the season (big steps already made this offseason) and an 18 game season makes a lot of sense.

These hits started when espn came on air and they made sportcenter best hits or monets and now every start tries to make espn.espn needs to stop showing hits like that and agree nfl needs to make stronger penalties for hits like those.if you hit a guy and hes out for the season then maybe you should be out for the season without pay for causing that injury imo :)

These hits started when espn came on air and they made sportcenter best hits or monets and now every start tries to make espn.espn needs to stop showing hits like that and agree nfl needs to make stronger penalties for hits like those.if you hit a guy and hes out for the season then maybe you should be out for the season without pay for causing that injury imo :)

This can't happen or you would have players faking injuries.

Marvez: Should the NFL expand its regular season to 18 games? - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN

I came across this article about if the NFL would add 2 more games to the schedule. If your asking me, I like adding 2 more games and getting rid of 2 preseason games. I mean I know concussions and injuries overall are questions about not adding 2 games but maybe some of these guys should learn how to tackle and not try to hurt somebody (James Harrison). I also think there should be more of a stricter policy on hits. I mean I know that there are trying to curb helmet to helmet hits but I think that was long overdue. Go as far back as when Daryl Stingley got paralyzed in a PRESEASON GAME!! A PRESEASON GAME!! Right then and there should have been stricter rules. Although, some people feel the hit was fine as the person who hit Stingley, I dont think, even apologized. I know when the Raiders hit people they stand by it.

Thoughts on an 18 game schedule has nothing to do with a helmet to helmet hit.
You should have titled it "What do you think of Helmet to Helmet hits.

Fwiw, H2H hits happen on EVERY play on the O and D lines ..... Hmmm, they don't say anything about that ...

Concussions happen on every play here.

Jimbo, one of the concerns about having an 18 game schedule is the injuries, the helmet to helmet hits, the concussions etc., thats why I mentioned the helmet to helmet hits part.

As for the Title of the thread, 18 game schedule ?

I don't like the idea, we already have a season that the last weekend doesn't mean much to most teams and injuries at that time are already bad enough, to add 2 more games would just be prolonging the season and asking for more injuries.

Also, they have already pushed the Super Bowl back into Feb for NO REASON .... cut the pre season if you want, but quit pushing the SB back each year ...

Before you know it, Pitchers and Catchers will be reporting before the SB .

While your at it, get rid of the Pro Bowl all together.

I love the preseason games; its where I can see starters play a full half combined (sarcasm/rolling eyes). Two more games makes sense especially if they make it interesting via adding a divisional rival game. I suggest the following:

Giants play Cowboys 3 times/season
Giants play Eagles 3 times/season

The following year you now have Giants/Skins play 3 times, but only Cowboys 2 times, and so on ...

This certainly would make first place/wildcard interesting and force more final weekend scenarios

If you add 2 more games and your a team with nothing to play for, wouldnt that be like preseason games anyway? I dont think the starters would play. I would like to also think that eventually the Super Bowl will be played in prime time. Look at the game now. The game starts at 6:25. Wouldnt be easier to have the game the day before Presidents Day, so people can have the day off? I mean by the time the game ends at 10, 10:30, people are tired, drunk or whatever. They call in sick the next day anyway.

One thing, I'd like to get rid of, is the Thursday night package. When you hear guys talk about not wanting to add 2 more games, how about the fact that some teams play on a Sunday and then (maybe travel) to a game on Thursday?

I don't like the idea, we already have a season that the last weekend doesn't mean much to most teams and injuries at that time are already bad enough, to add 2 more games would just be prolonging the season and asking for more injuries.

Also, they have already pushed the Super Bowl back into Feb for NO REASON .... cut the pre season if you want, but quit pushing the SB back each year ...

Before you know it, Pitchers and Catchers will be reporting before the SB .

While your at it, get rid of the Pro Bowl all together.

If it were not for the fact that all-star games always seem to occur at the end of football season,I'd say,in the event of an 18 game season,have the Pro-Bowl at the mid-way point of the season,after 9 games,then continue with the rest of the season & playoffs. The "all-star" week could be considered the bye week for the rest of the league,no more staggered byes.

I don't like the idea, we already have a season that the last weekend doesn't mean much to most teams

how is this any different when there are are 18 games instead of 16?

Apply this generalization to the current season I think you would find this would be a reason FOR 18 games.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

If you add 2 more games and your a team with nothing to play for, wouldnt that be like preseason games anyway? I dont think the starters would play. I would like to also think that eventually the Super Bowl will be played in prime time. Look at the game now. The game starts at 6:25. Wouldnt be easier to have the game the day before Presidents Day, so people can have the day off? I mean by the time the game ends at 10, 10:30, people are tired, drunk or whatever. They call in sick the next day anyway.

One thing, I'd like to get rid of, is the Thursday night package. When you hear guys talk about not wanting to add 2 more games, how about the fact that some teams play on a Sunday and then (maybe travel) to a game on Thursday?

Who gets Presidents Day off ?

While I like the idea of 18 and 2 instead of 16 and 4...

An 18 game schedule and injuries are intertwined. There are already so many players out it's a joke, and adding two more regular season games would make it even worse. Imagine if there were still three games left in the regular season? You'd like the playoffs to be played by starters, not whoever is left standing.

YES, injuries are part of the game...but an 18 game schedule makes them that much MORE a part of the game.

Just throwing this out there...something to make you go hmmm...I heard or read it somewhere over the weekend. WHAT IF they went to a 17 game schedule...and each team plays one neutral site game? Huh? What now ma? What now?

There is already a game in London, which should be a neutral site game anyway...not fair a team loses a home game for that. So what if we add 15 more neutral site games?

More games in Europe...Paris, Berlin, Rome, perhaps? Play a game at the Nou Camp in Barcelona...wow! Maybe even Moscow! Estadio Azteca in Mexico City would be a natural...the Maracana in Rio would be insane, if logistically possible. What about San Juan?

Tokyo...China...and of course Canada! Let those Canuckleheads see some REAL football! (gentle poke at Iceberg!). But seriously, there is already a game in Toronto...Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver...there are lots of possibilities.

Then they can also play a game or three in Los Angeles. Test the market there. Perhaps a game at Bryant-Denny stadium, Jordan-Hare, or Used-to-be-Happy Valley.

Just throwing locations against the wall...not sure how many of them would stick, but the concept of one more game at a neutral site is something the NFL should DEFINITELY be considering.

Sandra

An 18 game schedule and injuries are intertwined. There are already so many players out it's a joke, and adding two more regular season games would make it even worse. Imagine if there were still three games left in the regular season? You'd like the playoffs to be played by starters, not whoever is left standing.

YES, injuries are part of the game...but an 18 game schedule makes them that much MORE a part of the game.

Just throwing this out there...something to make you go hmmm...I heard or read it somewhere over the weekend. WHAT IF they went to a 17 game schedule...and each team plays one neutral site game? Huh? What now ma? What now?

There is already a game in London, which should be a neutral site game anyway...not fair a team loses a home game for that. So what if we add 15 more neutral site games?

More games in Europe...Paris, Berlin, Rome, perhaps? Play a game at the Nou Camp in Barcelona...wow! Maybe even Moscow! Estadio Azteca in Mexico City would be a natural...the Maracana in Rio would be insane, if logistically possible. What about San Juan?

Tokyo...China...and of course Canada! Let those Canuckleheads see some REAL football! (gentle poke at Iceberg!). But seriously, there is already a game in Toronto...Montreal, Edmonton, Vancouver...there are lots of possibilities.

Then they can also play a game or three in Los Angeles. Test the market there. Perhaps a game at Bryant-Denny stadium, Jordan-Hare, or Used-to-be-Happy Valley.

Just throwing locations against the wall...not sure how many of them would stick, but the concept of one more game at a neutral site is something the NFL should DEFINITELY be considering.

Sandra

What about the idea of playing the neutral game exclusively at famed college stadiums? You'd have the lore, nostalgia and ambiance of the college scene and could bring the game to parts of the world who only know college ball. And since College Football is basically a minor league to the NFL, it would be the perfect way to way to bridge the game between the two levels.

Can you imagine NFL games at The Horseshoe, The Big House, Notre Dame Stadium, LA Memorial Coliseum, Bronco Stadium (Boise State), The Carrier Dome, Autzen Stadium (Oregon), Camp Randall or Tiger Stadium?! Wow!!!!!!!!!!

What about the idea of playing the neutral game exclusively at famed college stadiums? You'd have the lore, nostalgia and ambiance of the college scene and could bring the game to parts of the world who only know college ball. And since College Football is basically a minor league to the NFL, it would be the perfect way to way to bridge the game between the two levels.

Can you imagine NFL games at The Horseshoe, The Big House, Notre Dame Stadium, LA Memorial Coliseum, Bronco Stadium (Boise State), The Carrier Dome, Autzen Stadium (Oregon), Camp Randall or Tiger Stadium?! Wow!!!!!!!!!!

I love that idea. The NFL needs to SERIOUSLY expand their horizons overseas, but games at college stadiums are a cool idea too.

Sandra

Sandra

How about the Patriots could play a game at Fenway Park,the NY Giants could play a game at Yankee Stadium,the NY Jets could play a game at Citi Field,the Bears could play a game at Wrigley Field(with obvious modifications to the game like the college game there had to do),the Packers at Miller Park in Milwaukee,& the 49ers at AT&T Park(especially if they do move to a new stadium in Santa Barbara)? You could also have the Redskins play a game at Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium & the Cowboys play a game at the Cotton Bowl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts