Your Thoughts on DirecTV Charging for MRV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Anyone want to take a stab at guessing how I feel? ;)

It wouldnt work and probably wont work with the proprietary Panasonic 170Mb/s powerline boxes I own that work great with everything else. Problem with those (and with many powerline and wireless devices in many homes) is fluency of throughput. They all hiccup a little bit (or more) every now and then and a live stream just cant get through that without also hiccing up.

I'm going to hazard a guess that for many people, the 85Mb/s powerline devices they bought from directv over the last year and a half also wont work that great with it, unless they're in a small house or on the same circuit.

I'm also going to hazard a guess that for every 100 customers who purchase this 'option', directv will get 85 phone calls with complaints about it and 80 of them will cancel it. The rest will have tried it on a pre-existing wired network, have run a wire, or have good tolerance for glip-glip-gliping audio and video.

Before I retired, I used to be head of marketing for a really big technology related company. Chances are 90% or better that you're sitting in a room with something my company turned out. So given that I have a certain amount of expertise with both marketing and the technology, the last thing in the world I'd be trying to do is offer this as a for-fee option. I'd use it as a club to beat my competition with, and maintain my pricing advantage, and make sure all my customers knew how many nice features they had added to their service this year at no cost...dlb, mrv, smart search, etc. Good retention move and except for the development costs, free.

Especially considering the iffy nature of many customers actually getting this to work well without making a $200-400 investment in networking infrastructure. Or even knowing or wanting to know how to do all the work, along with the cash out of pocket.

Or maybe i'm just looking at this from the wrong end of the telescope. Maybe directv doesnt want the average customer to buy this. Maybe they just want the high end customers who know they want it, are willing to pay for it, and will deal with the hassles and expense.

All 40-50,000 or so of them. Maybe that'd just about cover the development costs.

I think i'll take the same tack short term that others are taking. I'll pay for it and drop the HD Extra Pack and get a net gain of a buck or two on my bill. Then when my contract expires in 4 months, dump directv and get a pair of hd tivo's and cable. Does everything I want, way less drama.

I also think the principal problem here is that directv's marketing people are pretty well disconnected from the real customers. I know they've done some reach-out stuff to get more first hand input and thats great, but they mostly asked fanboy-oriented customers to participate and anyone who was inclined to disagree or criticize got annoyed with the process and gave up.

If you ask dbstalk to supply you with a list of people who might like to talk to the VP of marketing for Directv, guess what you're going to get... ;)

cfb I think you nailed it.

"...directv's marketing people are pretty well disconnected from the real customers."

A nice way to say they are either idiots or just do not care.

I love MRV right now in the CE. I however, would not pay for it. I have mostly all HD DVR's. I will opt to just record a series on both receivers.

For me, MRV is working great. I love it, and can't imagine life without it. That being said, I won't increase my monthly bill for it. I'll ditch skin-o-max and other premiums to pay for it.

cfb I think you nailed it.

"...directv's marketing people are pretty well disconnected from the real customers."

A nice way to say they are either idiots or just do not care.

I dont think they're idiots and I think they want to care. But what often happens in a company where you outsource most of the sales, installation and support is that you lose touch with the customers pulse. That means you make decisions that you might think are correct and acceptable, but arent always so.

That "problem" is largely fixed by persistency, which is the customer not really being compelled to make a change especially when changing so much is a pain in the a$$, and those two year commitment things also make your numbers look a lot better and make you feel good about your decisions...financially prohibiting your customers from making a choice is very compelling. You can practically see the knee-jerk reaction in that executive meeting "Dang boss! A lot of customers are getting our receivers and free installation and cheap monthly fees and then they leave 5 months later!". The right reaction is "Well, why are they leaving?". The easy one is "Well, charge them $500 to leave!".

To be fair, this is a rampant problem these days. Customers are icky, complain a lot, and are generally displeasing to be around unless they're fanboys. People are human, they like to be told what they already think is the right thing by people who like them.

It takes a lot of discipline to listen to all of the bad news, swallow it and either say "We're not going to fix that and here's why" or "Here's how we're going to make you happy".

My experience with having been plugged into directv's marketing brass was "Wow! Hey, thanks for your input!!! Now, we're having a special showcase next week where we're going to tell everyone a lot more vague stuff and make general proclamations of how great its going to be next year!".

Gets a little tiring after a while.

Again, that having been said I dont think the guys at Dish or Comcast are any better. And my very direct experience with the marketing guys at Tivo told me that they're intensely bad marketing people. And most of those guys are still there! Which is probably why, short of having successfully sued a bunch of people they wouldnt be close to making money.

But they do have a pretty nice product that takes the viewer into consideration, doesnt try to ram content down their throats, and more or less works the way I want it to.

I just wish the same box was completely provider independent like they used to be. I had Directv, Dish and Comcast over a 7 year period and used the same box, the same remote, and the same user interface. Basically I only needed to feed it the channels I wanted. Nice isolating middleware.

No wonder Directv dropped tivo and did everything they could to prevent tivo standalone boxes from working with directv, dish did everything they could do to make the tivo work badly with their receivers, and comcast pushed them into a corner and came out with their own most incredibly lame dvr.

Lastly, this all comes back to the most average consumer. Who has one or two tv's, no dvr or one dvr, doesnt time shift very much, doesnt watch that much tv, and in general is nothing like the people who show up at forums like this one to complain about $4 fees for multi room viewing. :tux:

In thinking a bit more on this topic ... $4/month is a pretty steep charge for adding one feature to existing receivers. $48/yr for sharing content across your receivers seems way too high to me.

Maybe half that would be acceptable. Or $1/month, which sounds about right. Although I would not bother to connect my two DVRs unless it was free, because I have little use for MRV.

But I can see someone in D*'s Accounts Receivable Dept, working on the numbers. If we can get them to pay $48/yr, then if we sign up only 1% of our subscriber base, we'll take in over $8M! But if we charge only $12/yr, we'll have to sign up 4% of the base, which we aren't confident that we can do.

If they charge for it I wouldnt be surprised. But you guys are already paying a monthly fee to use the recievers. "oh you want to use all the features? that will be another 4 bucks" Thankyou for beta testing it for free for us and saving us thousands of dollars, This is your reward.

I can see an activation fee like Dish did with ext hdd's, but a monthly fee. Cmon!
:up i'm with ya! if its an activation fee, i'm willing to pay. it works well and i like it. if its a monthly thing they can shove it. not worth it imo.

So is it time for someone to cobble up a youtube video of someone singing that new country hit: "Take this mrv fee and shove it!"?

I will very likely consider dropping D* completely, if this happens. U-Verse has a compelling channel lineup, and while it's not the best for PQ, enough is enough with these fees.

Minimally, I'll run the numbers and see if it's worth it.

Uvers is not all that its cracked up to be! If you have more than 1 HDTV, you will want to chuck it as fast as it get put in. ATT's not serious about fixing the issues uverse has.

Uvers is not all that its cracked up to be! If you have more than 1 HDTV, you will want to chuck it as fast as it get put in. ATT's not serious about fixing the issues uverse has.

Yes, but the question will be:

Will putting up with "the issues" be worth an almost assured price decrease? Not to mention, a BIG channel INCREASE, to boot.

If there is a new monthly fee to use it. I would want an install just as you would with a new box.

network wireing and a router to keep it on it's own subnet and routed through your home network for internet connectivity. kind of the way I have mine setup. That way i do not have unwanted trafic on eachothers network.

Yes, but the question will be:

Will putting up with "the issues" be worth an almost assured price decrease? Not to mention, a BIG channel INCREASE, to boot.

The small price decrease isn't near enough to put up with the issues. After 12 years with D*, I left for UVerse a year ago thinking that only 2 HD streams wouldn't be a problem. Especially since I didn't have any HD with D* at the time. It got very frustrating when you try to watch a football game in HD but wait...2 other HD shows are recording at the same time so you can't. Not to mention the DVR was very unreliable. Sometimes it would not record the season pass you have or it may just decide to delete all of your shows for no reason.

I left UVerse and went to cable with 2 Tivo HDs because MRV was very important to me and my wife. I just recently noticed the work D* has been doing with MRV. I have been seriously considering switching back to D* because of it. The extra $4 wouldn't necessarily keep me from switching back to D* but it's still horrible. It's not going to look much different than my cable bill. $10 HD, $5 per receiver, $6 for DVR service, $4 for MRV. Not to mention the $199 I have to drop on the receiver itself.

And $4 for a service that's already part of the software? Sure there are R&D costs but those costs are always going to be there if you want to keep your customer base. New technology is expected. My current computer does much more than my 3 year old computer will. Not only was the newer computer cheaper, I'm not charged every month to recoup the R&D expense that went into it. And are they going to stop charging $4 a month when they recoup their expenses. I don't think so. Let's just hope D* has a clue and realizes they could better use the technology to increase their user base by being the first to offer MRV for free.

Maybe they are testing the waters... with the other thread on how the "new" TiVo software might overlay on the HR series box. Hmmm I would pay for use of the TiVo system for sure!

DirecTV profits off the "mirroring fee"; I know, because I pay an extra $20 for the four receivers I have in addition to the main viewing area's.

I'm actually giving less a **** about technological features and would prefer to focus on content. Programming content.

No. 1: We need more national HD channels. DirecTV keeps resting on its laurels as if I'm going to support them, automatically, for the rest of my life. Uh, no DirecTV! I keep track of the competition. I'm in a market with three cable providers and another minidish satellite service … and that gives me options.

No. 2: If they cannot resist technological capabilities, here's a suggestion: Find a way to give me On Demand without my having to involve my computer. (With two DVRs, an unsophisticated knowledge of computer tech, this is one service I do not use.)

network wireing and a router to keep it on it's own subnet and routed through your home network for internet connectivity. kind of the way I have mine setup. That way i do not have unwanted trafic on eachothers network.
If you use switches, you don't have to concern yourself so much with subdividing your network. Subnets become largely a security device.

DIRECTV would have to charge big to support a scheme that didn't use basic DHCP.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)