Your Thoughts on DirecTV Charging for MRV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Does it suck yes...

BUT

If it is the means for them to justify the R&D to bring it out. Then yes I would use and pay it. Still less then I pay for my TiVo and Cable Cards from my cable company. And this is one feature that my wife and I would use this -- in fact it might sway us from switching from Dish (we want to leave Cable so bad)

I would not pay for these feature since it still has problems and will continue to.

My question is how is directv going to support this troubleshooting homenetwork wireless or wired.
If you need to run a ethernet cable run one a use HD over ethernet $ 60 bucks and you are done

I will very likely consider dropping D* completely, if this happens. U-Verse has a compelling channel lineup, and while it's not the best for PQ, enough is enough with these fees.

Minimally, I'll run the numbers and see if it's worth it.

I have Uverse, direc and dish...

While I will ''never'' say goodbye to my two Dish vip 722...

Direc tv is on its way out. Since I paid a small fortune for hockey and football.
I need the seasons to finsih up, then im done with Direc.

Customer service has been atrocious for me with Direc..
They use to set the bar..Not anymore..

Uverse has a nice selection plus vod..HD is very good..SD is outstanding!

not better than direcs HD ...however the gap is closing.

Try Uverse..No contract..worth a look..

Does it suck yes...

BUT

If it is the means for them to justify the R&D to bring it out. Then yes I would use and pay it. Still less then I pay for my TiVo and Cable Cards from my cable company. And this is one feature that my wife and I would use this -- in fact it might sway us from switching from Dish (we want to leave Cable so bad)

R&D? They bought ReplayTV, who, amazingly, had this as a FREE function on their boxes YEARS ago.

If anything, it's trying to recoup acquisition costs.

Imagine the can of whoop-ass a feature like this would open up on Technical Support. There are many hurdles that might interfere with reliable operation of MRV and most of them aren't something DIRECTV has much control over from a hardware or software standpoint.

Next, imagine everyone being asked to pay to support the relative few that will use it.

I see a similar issue should they ever declare eSATA an officially supported feature.

So MRV would enable my HD DVR and my SD DVR to communicate, so that I could watch content from the HD DVR through my SD DVR on my SD TV in the other room?

Not interested. Don't even have my SD DVR connected to my house network.

If it were free, I might connect everything so I could do this in the extreme rare case where I might want to watch something. But in general, I don't like to watch SDTV, and I don't know why I'd want to watch content from the SD DVR through my HDTV.

So MRV would enable my HD DVR and my SD DVR to communicate, so that I could watch content from the HD DVR through my SD DVR on my SD TV in the other room?

Not interested. Don't even have my SD DVR connected to my house network.

If it were free, I might connect everything so I could do this in the extreme rare case where I might want to watch something. But in general, I don't like to watch SDTV, and I don't know why I'd want to watch content from the SD DVR through my HDTV.

To be fair, it would also enable you to watch your recorded content on any non-DVR receiver also, providing it was compatible and could be networked.

DirecTV's plan is to use a network working through their SWM technology rather than standard home networking. Anyone with an older system will need a new install though.

You can have any ethernet enabled box the last I checked. For example, I have a HR23-700 and I used MRV to view this content on my H23-600. SD content worked great, but HD content, not so much. It was slow, buggy and eventually would cut off as I guess it was too much data for it to handle.

okay, stupid question. my hr21pro has mrv listed as an option, although, everytime i click on it nothing happens.

however, i haven't noticed the same line on the hr20.

R&D? They bought ReplayTV, who, amazingly, had this as a FREE function on their boxes YEARS ago.

If anything, it's trying to recoup acquisition costs.

Whats "funny" is I have two (working) Replay units in my closet... (can't recall the models but they are the ones that came out right as Denon was buying Replay...)

the feature worked really well!!!

I think having an additional charge for MRV would be a mistake. I think it would be a great selling feature to have MRV and not charge an additional amount for it. Personally, I wouldn't pay for MRV and I'll just watch what I recorded on the other DVR on that TV.

Not the best example but...

I was an iPhone user - hated AT&T; Switched to Verizon and a Droid. VZW actually charges me $3 per line for visual voicemail. Which AT&T gave for free. I pay it - why? Well in my mind when I see the charge I block out the title and replace it with -- "fee for actually being able to use the data and phone plan that I pay for" LOL For those of you with or had AT&T in EDGE only areas you will know what I mean....

yeah like I said poor example - but same crummy fee :)

I could see a one time "activation" fee but no way would I pay 4 bucks every month. Even if they only got 500,000 subscribers to pay 4 bucks a month that would be 24 million bucks a year in pure profit. I can see why they wanna charge.

Count me out if they ask for another monthly fee:(

I will just wait and see. I really hope that they provide a free preview period to see if they have fixed some of the issues within it. Lets hope that Directv is reading both boards and they decide not to make us pay another fee.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts