• Yes - Warn them then ban them.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Yes - Warn them then ban them from the thread

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • Yes - Warn them, then ban them from that companies forum

Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Yes - I have an idea to cut down on trolling

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • No - I don't think its a big issue but it is something we should keep our eye on

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • No - Trolling is part of the internet. We should just ignore it.

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
That, presuming you are talking about user "dael", IMO, isn't trolling. That person has strong opinions about something (a receiver), but that alone isn't trolling to me.
In the case of this user there are several other posts that got removed, he was for sure trolling. ;)

In the case of this user there are several other posts that got removed, he was for sure trolling. ;)
Kinda figured that. That's why I didn't bother replying to him when he quoted my post. Been there, done that already and don't need another round. :rolleyes:

The post that remained wasn't that bad. I didn't see any others so I presume the others that were removed were pretty bad.

Being the new guy on the block, I know I don't have much reputation here, but I'd like to be here a while - and once my wife and I finish remodeling + extending our entire kitchen (sub floor and floor joist, tile, backer board, grout, cabinets, electrical....you name it. Plus, adding another 4' x 11' on entire kitchen)
I will hopefully have more time once done to be here, and hopefully learn, and help.
I was once pretty up to par on FTA, ...and I didn't even have to read the rules of this site because I already know the common sense stuff applies here. I actually admin'd a couple sites back a few years ago...
But I bet if I went into details, or said names of sites, it would violate some rules as the sites were...well just guess. It was an era from 2003 too late 2007. And I already know just from seeing the areas of this site, that sites I mod'd or admin'd on back then are very much disallowed talk here.
But there is a common factor...bad apples. Every site has them, and every site deals with it in different ways.
I think the best way, and the way I tried to do, was a friendly, non provocative private message, suggesting a lighter tone...then, use the new tool for thread ban if it continues, and onward from there.
It's never easy to kick people out, but here's the thing...we saw people return using proxy..etc, and knew it was the banned folks..But they usually would calm down.
But, I always hated ban evasion and made it so banning was last resort.
Staff, unfortunately, can't usually publicly post what mad members say in private...And sometimes staff can appear bullish if the offender plays the "big mean power hungry mod" card. That happens more than we ever would probably know...But I think things here are pretty fair and balanced, and this site has quite a nice rep to maintain.
Just my thoughts, doesn't hold much weight, but it's from my own experience.
This thread even being here is a big sign of how compassionate the owner and staff members are for the group of folks who enjoy this place.
Most sites just have rules without asking for any input from members...this is a very unique approach, and I applaud Scott for his stance (and staff members).

Last edited:
An update...

Thanks for all your feedback. Our staff has begun using some of our tools available to cut down on the trolling posts. I will not go into full detail of these tools but some of them include thread bans, where a troller can be banned from posting or replying to a particular thread, complete removal from a particular forum, meaning the troller no longer has access to post or read in a forum they have been trolling in or in other extreme cases the ban hammer.

In some cases where we have had to ban, the user has come back using other usernames, without getting into details our system is able to detect most of these folks and that account soon gets banned as well.

There are still some cases for us where its a hard call, for example we have someone who used to be a large retailer for a company, that person had a falling out with that company and no longer sells their product. Sometimes this person just comes by and gives pot shots against that company because he is mad at them, however other times that person lends some very valid insights and feedback. It is not our intent to stifle people providing valid feedback and helping others.

Its just like drinking and driving... we have to know when to say when. :D

Reactions: Rey
There are no options for doing that. There is also no option for Dislike. The like button is either on or off and thats it. And honestly without checking since the Like button is built into the software I am not 100% sure I can even turn that off.

An old thread I had no reason to search until recently, but since the HBO/Cinemax pull I don’t think I’ve ever seen as many “trolls” as we have now. I wish, I wish, I wish there was a dislike button. Until then I’ll bite my tongue and resist poking the bears as I always have.

Reactions: JSheridan
One site I frequent has the ability to "favorite" someone, but most users use it as a way to tag people in general with a note and color. Most people there don't use the ignore feature. I tag both people I like and people who are reliable crap posters. Certain people/colors tend to show up a lot in certain threads there (technology, politics). I doubt Xenforo has that sort of ability, though.

Here, there's only one person I have on my ignore list, but I haven't seen any posts from "ignored user" in some time now.

Put them on your ignore list.

Although many of the staff want me to give one of them a vacation. And it may come to the point that person may get one. :)

I hate using the Ignore feature unless it's an extreme case. I think I only have 1 or 2 people who never contribute anything useful set to ignore. Occasionally even the trolls post something worth reading. :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts