Your tv does not support this program's content protection...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
I wake up this morning to this message on my screen.

This message has often popped up very briefly as I turn on my system in the morning but it usually goes away before I can even read it. Today it will not go away. I tried a red button reset and it is still there.

I've had this receiver connected to this TV using this HDMI cable ever since I got my Genie. This is the first time I have been locked out by this message.

Right now, I am just trying to watch my local news. For this morning I switched to my Tivo Roamio OTA which is working fine. No HDMI content protection there I suppose.

I saw DirecTv's suggestion was to start using RCA cables. That's not a very good solution for HD TV.

Are there any other better solutions?

Thanks in advance.

There are HDMI splitters available that effectively strip the protection. You can run the feed thru the splitter to the TV. Google it.

I wake up this morning to this message on my screen.

This message has often popped up very briefly as I turn on my system in the morning but it usually goes away before I can even read it. Today it will not go away. I tried a red button reset and it is still there.

I've had this receiver connected to this TV using this HDMI cable ever since I got my Genie. This is the first time I have been locked out by this message.

Right now, I am just trying to watch my local news. For this morning I switched to my Tivo Roamio OTA which is working fine. No HDMI content protection there I suppose.

I saw DirecTv's suggestion was to start using RCA cables. That's not a very good solution for HD TV.

Are there any other better solutions?

Thanks in advance.
Maybe they meant component cables

Sent from my SM-G920V using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: raoul5788
I had that issue once where I used component video cables to feed 1 Tv and the hdmi output for the other.

When I turned off the HDTV I got the copyright message on the Tv using component video
Are you sure? Component is analog and doesn't support blocking digital programing

Are you sure? Component is analog and doesn't support blocking digital programing

If you switch the HDMI-connected TV off (to standby) then most TVs will fail the HDCP test on the HDMI connection and the receiver will switch off.

If you switch the HDMI-connected TV off (to standby) then most TVs will fail the HDCP test on the HDMI connection and the receiver will switch off.

We most always just use the power button on the DirecTV remote which cycles both the TV and receiver. I know it does not really turn the receiver "off" but puts it in standby.

This message does momentarily pop up in the morning for a few seconds on occasion, but usually goes away faster than you can read it.

I also read somewhere else that unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable can reset things. I will try that next time it happens.

with component cables the HDMI port does not come into play (Component go to a different input on the tv) component is a different way to get an HD signal to your TV

Last edited:
We most always just use the power button on the DirecTV remote which cycles both the TV and receiver. I know it does not really turn the receiver "off" but puts it in standby.

This message does momentarily pop up in the morning for a few seconds on occasion, but usually goes away faster than you can read it.

I also read somewhere else that unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable can reset things. I will try that next time it happens.
I can confirm this happened to me one time and unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable fixed it.

with component cables the HDMI port does not come into play (Component go to a different input on the tv) component is a different way to get an HD signal to your TV
I think we are talking about two different things.
If you have one TV connected via HDMI, and a second connected via component (or via composite), and you switch off the HDMI-connected TV, the HDMI link will fail the HDCP test and so the component or composite video will be switched off.
With a few recent TVs this does not happen but in general it does.

I think we are talking about two different things.
If you have one TV connected via HDMI, and a second connected via component (or via composite), and you switch off the HDMI-connected TV, the HDMI link will fail the HDCP test and so the component or composite video will be switched off.
With a few recent TVs this does not happen but in general it does.
no..no.no component is separate from HDMI..they have nothing to do with each other ..composite is RCA cables (strictly SD) unplug the the HDMI cable from the TV and the component should work just dandy..component is the work around for older HD tvs that can't do the HDMI handshake..It analog and does 1080i..it wont do 1080p..composite is a very old SD setup..which has absolutely nothing to do with HD...if you are running component cables into HDMI switch that would cause handshake issues if the other TV is shut off..but component cables directly from a receiver into a component input on a HD TV should work without a handshake

You are still not reading what I am saying. If you have a receiver with an HDMI connection and you switch the HDMI-connected TV off, then (with a very few exceptions) ALL outputs from the receiver whether componentt or composite will be switched off bercause the receiver will detect a failure in the HDCP copy protection protocol on the HDMI connection. Of course if you unplug the HDMI-connected TV then the composite or component output will continue to operate since there is no HDCP copy protection to fail.
Or you can use a powered HDMI splitter to maintain the HDCP protocol even when the TV is ogff.

You are still not reading what I am saying. If you have a receiver with an HDMI connection and you switch the HDMI-connected TV off, then (with a very few exceptions) ALL outputs from the receiver whether componentt or composite will be switched off bercause the receiver will detect a failure in the HDCP copy protection protocol on the HDMI connection. Of course if you unplug the HDMI-connected TV then the composite or component output will continue to operate since there is no HDCP copy protection to fail.
Or you can use a powered HDMI splitter to maintain the HDCP protocol even when the TV is ogff.
It use to be soo much simpler when all outputs just worked.

If I am reading your post correctly, my DISH receiver then may be an example that does allow the Component to work with the HDMI connection to a turned off TV. One is connected to a new Samsung TV the other to a little older LG TV. Maybe both those TV's do pass the copy protection when turned off? I didn't realize there were situations where component was affected by HDMI copy protection.

Reads this..much better explanation
http://dbstalk.com/community/index.php?threads/218520/

Last edited:
If I am reading your post correctly, my DISH receiver then may be an example that does allow the Component to work with the HDMI connection to a turned off TV. One is connected to a new Samsung TV the other to a little older LG TV. Maybe both those TV's do pass the copy protection when turned off? I didn't realize there were situations where component was affected by HDMI copy protection.
You need to be plugged into a component input on the tv to bypass copy protection

That's bull pucky..total complete nonsense!!..not sure who told you that
..dish and cable both component and hdmi work at the same time..unplug the hdmi from the Satellite box..should force component on if it's one or the other other

Last edited:
I was over at a friend's house and her DirecTV HR-44 is connected though a Denon AVR to her Toshiba HDTV (only one HDMI input on the TV so all switching is done in the Denon). After using one of the other HDMI inputs on the Denon, I switched back to the DirecTV STB HDMI Input. I started having an "uh-oh-oh-crap" moments as nothing would come up on the TV screen and attempts to use the DirecTV remote produced a "bonk" tone from the audio. My friend came into the TV room with a "what did you do now" look on her face. I explained that I had used a different input and was trying to set things back to the way they were before I messed with it.

Eventually she asked me (the IT guy) "Have you tried turning it off and back on again?" (I think she secretly enjoyed that!) and after the devices power-cycled, that's when the dreaded "Your TV does not support this program's content protection" appeared on the screen.

Of course, this all happens as we're packing up to leave and the only thing I could think of was checking for Firmware Updates on her Denon AVR. Yes, there was an update. And, six minutes later, the "Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon" was on her screen, as well as other channels that had been blocked.

Reading the thread here I think the firmware wasn't the issue (but it was still a good idea to update!) but it did do the equivalent of unplugging the HDMI cable and plugging it back in, which fixed the problem. Phew!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts