Please reply by conversation.

HIFI

Resident Psycho
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
YouTube Application No Longer Available via DIRECTV

April 20, 2015

Due to changes in third party software, the YouTube application will no longer be available in the DIRECTV Menu.

This change will occur in multiple phases, beginning with onscreen messaging to customers on Monday, April 20. At that time, customers will still be able to search and view YouTube content, but before their selected video plays, they will see the following message:

YouTube is upgrading to a newer version, which is not supported by this device or app. To learn more and see how you can watch YouTube, visit youtube.com/devicesupport.

Following a reasonable notification period, DIRECTV will remove the YouTube icon from the Menu (MENU > Extras), and Smart Search results will no longer include YouTube content. This change will apply to all DIRECTV receivers and clients, as well as Sony, Toshiba and LG DIRECTV Ready TVs that are installed as RVU clients.

Samsung DIRECTV Ready TVs installed as RVU clients are NOT impacted, as YouTube is accessed through a native Samsung app on the television.

We will share the date for removal of the YouTube icon when confirmed.

We use this feature a lot also, I wonder if this the end or do they have any plans to upgrade and continue. Is this a fight over fee increases or incompatible equipment like they say?

I'm sure this upgrade is just paving the way for making u-tube a pay-per-view site. For those that use it and need I fele for your loss as for me -I don't use it so no loss for me.

Many Smart TVs and bluray players are also losing youtube...

Reactions: Broe67
Isn't this lovely?!

This seems like another move to get consumers to spend more money for separate platforms. I'm sure there are plenty who are not going to bend for YouTube. One can just hook up a notebook to a HDTV with connecting an HDMI and be done with it.

I don't think Roku TV, Fire TV, and Apple TV are selling points for consumers with viewing YouTube.

(Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk.)

I'm sure this upgrade is just paving the way for making u-tube a pay-per-view site. For those that use it and need I fele for your loss as for me -I don't use it so no loss for me.
Not speculation, that is the reason.

Google probably wants to make Youtube exclusive to Chromecast.
Incorrect. It is just that DirecTV is most likely not seeing enough user metrics for use. I would not be surprised if the Pandora app leaves, along with DLNA connectivity.

Streaming devices are cheap these days. I have a Smart TV in one bedroom, another has a Roku Stick and the front room has a Amazon Fire TV box & Blu-Ray player with streaming capabilities.

The problem is that DirecTV is not able to utilize the Miracast features that streaming devices are capable of doing.

YouTube is removed off of my HR44. The strange thing is that the My DirecTv recommendations are blank and Pandora is also gone.

Incorrect. It is just that DirecTV is most likely not seeing enough user metrics for use. I would not be surprised if the Pandora app leaves, along with DLNA connectivity.

Streaming devices are cheap these days. I have a Smart TV in one bedroom, another has a Roku Stick and the front room has a Amazon Fire TV box & Blu-Ray player with streaming capabilities.

The problem is that DirecTV is not able to utilize the Miracast features that streaming devices are capable of doing.
Are you sure? It's not just DirecTV that's being affected. Google is up to something.

Some bluray players as well as a number of "Smart" TVs are also losing youtube....

I just looked and both Youtube & Pandora are still working on my HR44/700.

Texasbrit, the older models are, due to they are not capable of using HTML5, and the CPU's are too slow. I stopped our Blu-ray rental with Netflix, because I am starting to find more content on streaming.

Right now, you can purchase American Sniper through Google Play, iTunes, Amazon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)