YouTube TV vs DISH - Is it time to cut cord?

milequatro

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
MA
I have been a Dish customer for 20 years and never thought about going to a different service until now. YouTubeTV just launched in my DMA and i have to admit I'm intrigued, but don't know how a reliable of a service it is?

I did some research and basically everything that I like to watch now and DVR would still be available to me on YouTubeTV - including ALL of my locals (missing my CW affiliate on DISH) and Sports (particularly NBC Sports Boston which has been off of Dish for a few years now) and for only $40 a month (for now)

Just wondering if anyone has tried out the YouTube experience and compared to their DISH service?

The HBO factor is weighing heavily. Starting to think if I have to subscribe to HBO via their direct stream, why not just go full IPTV at this point?

I have been a Dish customer for 20 years and never thought about going to a different service until now. YouTubeTV just launched in my DMA and i have to admit I'm intrigued, but don't know how a reliable of a service it is?

I did some research and basically everything that I like to watch now and DVR would still be available to me on YouTubeTV - including ALL of my locals (missing my CW affiliate on DISH) and Sports (particularly NBC Sports Boston which has been off of Dish for a few years now) and for only $40 a month (for now)

Just wondering if anyone has tried out the YouTube experience and compared to their DISH service?

The HBO factor is weighing heavily. Starting to think if I have to subscribe to HBO via their direct stream, why not just go full IPTV at this point?

Maybe ask here too?

The YouTube TV Thread

I did try it out last year. It had two major downsides for me:

1. No Comedy Central
2. DVR recordings become OnDemand recordings with commercials you cannot skip (some or all of the time).

You can always try it our for free and see if it works for you.

Reactions: salyavin and wormil
Maybe ask here too?

The YouTube TV Thread

1. No Comedy Central
2. DVR recordings become OnDemand recordings with commercials you cannot skip (some or all of the time).

No Discovery, either. At least not in my area

Reactions: ncted

It’s worth a try. I’ve noticed that people love it or hate it normally within a couple days you’ll have a gut feeling.

Reactions: Tom_T
Dish and Locals is available in my area. YouTube TV is not. I am not even sure if it will be available in my area soon or ever. With it being on a internet connection, and the fact that my internet goes down about every single day, relying on an internet connection is not a big seller for me getting You Tube TV, or even cutting the cord with other streaming devices. So, as long as Dish stays as a Satellite Company, I will stay with them.

Maybe ask here too?

The YouTube TV Thread

1. No Comedy Central

1) no Viacom, scripps or discovery.. but a lot of people pair YTTV with a service called Philo, which has the above for 16 bucks.

2) that used to be the case.. but most of that is fixed. The only station where VOD replaces DVr recordings is CBS and CW.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I have both Dish & Streaming (2 Roku's/Firestick/Box/Chromecast). I like having a bit of everything. Streaming offers a lot not available on Dish or any satellite/cable service. I have yet to sub to a pay streaming package and I have had Roku since 2013. I do have Prime and HBO. So far the streaming packages do not offer me what I want. Too many gaps in what I get off Dish. First, no complete set of locals, no super stations, and many channels Dish offers are no where to be seen in streaming packages. The future? Maybe. Since licensing is different for streaming, the jury is still out,. Direct TV is testing out a new $50 box that subs can purchase and the sub can pretty much to the Direct package via streaming. Don't know if it will be any less. For me, having both is great. Sinclair just added their channel mux under STIRR, free streaming service, all of the OTA Sinclair channels (Comet, Stadium, Charge, TBD, etc) plus others Sinclair in partners with , more to come. Like it, as we do not have Charge! or TBD OTA here. There is Pluto that offers a lot of material (100+ channels) for free too.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have both Dish & Streaming (2 Roku's/Firestick/Box/Chromecast). I like having a bit of everything. Streaming offers a lot not available on Dish or any satellite/cable service. I have yet to sub to a pay streaming package and I have had Roku since 2013. I do have Prime and HBO. So far the streaming packages do not offer me what I want. Too many gaps in what I get off Dish. First, no complete set of locals, no super stations, and many channels Dish offers are no where to be seen in streaming packages. The future? Maybe. Since licensing is different for streaming, the jury is still out,. Direct TV is testing out a new $50 box that subs can purchase and the sub can pretty much to the Direct package via streaming. Don't know if it will be any less. For me, having both is great. Sinclair just added their channel mux under STIRR, free streaming service, all of the OTA Sinclair channels (Comet, Stadium, Charge, TBD, etc) plus others Sinclair in partners with , more to come. Like it, as we do not have Charge! or TBD OTA here. There is Pluto that offers a lot of material (100+ channels) for free too.
It has not been confirmed that the directv box will be 50 bucks or that the packages will be similar to there satellite service. For now it is just for directv now and no major details are out

Maybe ask here too?

The YouTube TV Thread

1. No Comedy Central

You have a dropdown list of which recording you want to watch now. This may be a new feature I'm new to YTTV also.
YTTV just expanded last week to many new markets, even small areas nationwide.

You have a dropdown list of which recording you want to watch now. This may be a new feature I'm new to YTTV also.
YTTV just expanded last week to many new markets, even small areas nationwide.

Not new.... it’ll default to DVR if available, but you’ll have the option of selecting the VOD version.. the thing is there are unavoidable commercials in the VOD. The exception is CBS and CW first run shows. The DVR will still record, but the dvr version in that list will be grayed out saying the network restricts the dvr version and to pick another version. Once the VOD version expires, the dvr will be available.. but that’s typically months after it’s first recorded.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: salyavin
It has not been confirmed that the directv box will be 50 bucks or that the packages will be similar to there satellite service. For now it is just for directv now and no major details are out
The $50 is a rumor that someone at Direct let slip. But of course that is subject to change.

Maybe ask here too?

The YouTube TV Thread

1. No Comedy Central

Comedy central being available has not changed, but the DVR recordings do not automatically become OnDemand anymore on most (or all) channels. You can ff just like you can any traditional DVR content.

EDIT: sorry, I see this was already addressed.

Reactions: ncted

I would say its as simple as giving the free trial a shot and seeing if it meets your expectations.

I will say I dropped sat service over two years ago and went OTT and have been more than satisfied. I went with PS Vue first, then rotated between it, Directv Now, YTTV and Hulu Live.

YTTV is among the simplest and best of the group. Definitely the most reliable, or so has been my experience.

Sling TV
I put my Dish service on pause and have been trying out Sling TV as a prelude to cancelling Dish. I do like the ability to put Dish on pause while traveling or testing out a new service.

Results:
- PQ is better as long as my bandwidth is good (10meg DSL on the Eastern Plains of Colorado), occasionally get buffering
- Needed Blue plus the Sports Add-on to get the channels I wanted (significant savings over Dish Package)
- Absolutely hate the channel guides (Grid or otherwise), Channel surfing is not a thing nor is flipping between two channels to watch more than one game at a time
- Did not purchase the Cloud DVR (Use Tablo as OTA DVR)

Bottom Line:
- OTT Sling TV is not for me as a replacement for Dish, back to my Hopper3
- Bandwidth limitations make it difficult for me to have more than one TV running Sling at a time.
- If you have good bandwidth and don't mind the limitations of the Channel Grid it might be a thing for you

The price is low for the streaming services but the cloud based dvr is inferior to having a local dvr with local recordings. You are not actually doing the recording on cloud dvr so you can’t do things like start early, end late, and skipping forward and back is inconsistent. Sometimes it works well, other times it buffers when you want to skip commercials. Plus, those crummy 4-5 button remotes that streaming boxes have are infuriating to use for TV control.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)