Zip Code Change

Status
Please reply by conversation.

igzo99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
Guys, anyway you can manually change the zip code on a D* receiver?

Guys, anyway you can manually change the zip code on a D* receiver?

Yea, but is there any particular reason WHY you want to?
Assuming you're talking about a standard receiver, the ONLY purpose it serves it to provide you dish pointing coordinates. It has NO other effect on the daily operation of your receiver.
(If you're trying to get some other local channels, this will NOT work...)

Trying to settle an argument more than anything. Figured only you guys would know the real answer.

Thanks.

If you have an HD receiver the 2 manual zip code entries in the setup of the OTA does pull primary and secondary DMA info. These are separate zip code entries from the dish setup listed above and can be changed.

I have an HR20. I always thought changing a zip never actually impacted the ability to pull a signal from outside your area.

For the OTA portion you can manually change/input zip codes for the setup of primary and secondary DMA. For example if you live in an area where multiple DMAs are within range of your antenna setup.

I have an HR20. I always thought changing a zip never actually impacted the ability to pull a signal from outside your area.

It doesn't.
As Charper mentioned, when the OTA tuner works on the HR20-700 you will have a Primary and a Secandary OTA tuner option, this way if you are inyour local area you can set up the Primary, and if you have a city close enough to you to get a second set of channels you would be able to set up the secandary guide.

I tend to just use the Primary anyways, seeing I need to turn the antenna to get the other city anyways.

jimbo

But, I did not know he had a HR20 at first, but the same info will hold true in a few weeks or so. So it is correct.

Yup,
Charper, I noticed you told the same thing I did basically in post 6, but your sounds much easier to understand after I re-read them......:hatsoff:

Jimbo

Yea, right after I posted, I thought "does he have an HD box" - just can't ASSUME things these. (you know what happens when you......)
But I figured if he had gotten THAT far into the setup, he already knew what the primary/secondary zip was - he only said "zip" in the single sense. ;)

Sorry guys, I guess I should've been more specific. I completely spaced the difference between OTA and HD vs. SD, so didn't I obviously didn't see the necessity to include more info.

My own ignorance indeed.

Thanks for all your responses.:hatsoff:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)