zooming 4:3 to fill 16:9 screen

shelly

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 19, 2003
Installation set for Friday. I have read most threads here but can't remember seeing this questions talked about.

Is it possible to fill the 16:9 screen with a 4:3 broadcast just using the rmote. I know that my rptv will not let me use it's remote as it is receiving 1080i picture.

Currently, with all 3 of my satellite services, there is a button on the remote that allows the set top box to do the strtetching of 1080i 4:3 material, not very well but at least good enough to prevent any bujrnin problems.

I have read that it might be necessary to go into Voom sset up menu and choose 4:3 monitor and then go back and change it again. Say it isn't so.

Shelly

shelly said:
Installation set for Friday. I have read most threads here but can't remember seeing this questions talked about.

Is it possible to fill the 16:9 screen with a 4:3 broadcast just using the rmote. I know that my rptv will not let me use it's remote as it is receiving 1080i picture.

Currently, with all 3 of my satellite services, there is a button on the remote that allows the set top box to do the strtetching of 1080i 4:3 material, not very well but at least good enough to prevent any bujrnin problems.

I have read that it might be necessary to go into Voom sset up menu and choose 4:3 monitor and then go back and change it again. Say it isn't so.

Shelly

Shelly,

The short answer is NO. On my dish 6000 I just hit the * key and can change the aspect ratio. The only thing you can do with Voom is to go into System Setup, Option 1 Picture Format. That is your only choice and it's very limited in it's capabilites. On both my HDTV's I am stuck with pillars because it wont stretch my picture.

Bill

Videofx said:
Shelly,

The short answer is NO. On my dish 6000 I just hit the * key and can change the aspect ratio. The only thing you can do with Voom is to go into System Setup, Option 1 Picture Format. That is your only choice and it's very limited in it's capabilites. On both my HDTV's I am stuck with pillars because it wont stretch my picture.

Bill

You can stretch the SD channels through the settings as mentioned above but the stretch format is not great like the Toshiba RPTV, the one I have, so I still havent tried S-video out for only SD transmission, One may be able to use stretch modes of the TV

This is disappointing information. Although the stretch mode using the * key is not great with the 6000 receivers, at least it prevents any chance of burn in.

Let's hope that some future software upgrade addresses this issue.

Shelly

shelly said:
This is disappointing information. Although the stretch mode using the * key is not great with the 6000 receivers, at least it prevents any chance of burn in.

Let's hope that some future software upgrade addresses this issue.

Shelly

U can use the stretch mode for 4:3 SD transmission in voom settings, u will get full screen in 16:9 TV screens and it definitetly prevents burn in. But u may not like the picture as voom stretch mode is not that great

desidoc said:
I still havent tried S-video out for only SD transmission, One may be able to use stretch modes of the TV
I think there is another option for you: switch your STB to the Native mode. SD channels will come in 480i and your TV might be able to do the stretching.

I've been Vooming for almost two hours now and the sd channels are automatically stretched to fill my screen. On the hd channels, the 4:3 pictures are not stretched but are presented with black pillars. I can live with that. I was mainly concerned about the non hd channels which I do watch.

The Voom stretch mode is lame compared to the natural stretch of my Sony but on a par with similar stretch mode on the Dish 6000.

Shelly

I set my STB to auto ( all lights lit using red button), now I can adjust the theater wide stretch of toshiba when i watch SD, even when my input is DVI, STB automatically switches to 480, 720 and 1080 format very well and I use toshiba wide format which is very good for SD channels

Auto works best for me on my projector as well, since my pj does a better job of upconverting the 480i than the Voom box does. Compared to Dish, I can actually watch most of the SD channels on Voom now. I had given up on Dish and cancelled all of the SD because it has become so compressed and fuzzy.

That should work for most people but some may have troubles on the channels that are 720p. I don't think my Elite 730HDi can handle the 720p. :-( Hopefully Voom will switch these to 1080i soon.

I am able to stretch all SD programs, unless they are broadcast on an HD channel. For example, when watching "Freinds" via the Voom Over the Air digital receiver, it has pillars because it is not broadcast in wide mode AND it transmitted on a digital (HD) channel. I am, however, able to stretch it if I receive it via an anolog broadcast (ie: standard definition) over the air or basic cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)