942 question about 5.1 sound

zmwp01

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 23, 2003
Tulsa, OK
I got my 942 about two weeks ago (AND LOVE IT) and have noticed that
tuner 2 always outputs stereo or mono audio while tuner 1 outputs 5.1 when the sources offers it.
This seems to hold true for the recordings also. Yet I do not see a way to control which tuner is selected for a programmed recording.
I am wondering if all tuners should be passing 5.1 audio or is this a limitation of tuner 2 . :confused:
I am running my 942 in single mode on my Qualia 006 and feeding the sound via fiber to my receiver.
BTW the Voom channels being fed from the 942 via HDMI have never looked so good.
WAY TO GO DISH!!!

Can someone clear this up for me?

Mucho thanks,

I am also interested iin the answer for this. I am runing 942 in single mode. I notice that sometimes 942 will stuck with NO 5.1 even though the source provides it. The reason is probably because it swtches to use TV2 tuner for some reason. This happens sometimes even when DVR is not recording anything. Does anyone know a way to retore its 5.1 decoding capability?

Thanks!

Yes, I have the same problem, and what I do (without having to reboot), is go in into the setup menu and then to the installation menu and then the screen with the dish signals, hang out there for a minute and then cancel out (I think it is 'Settings or Menu' then 6-1-1 which will take you to the signal strength screen) and then go back to live TV. This is a messy fix, but it works for me every time 5.1 is gone. (Sorry for my kinda vaugue wording and such, I am not at home to look at the commands or anything)

Known software issue. The fix is in the works supposedly, don't know when. You can do a power button reboot to get the main tuner back so you can listen to dolby digital , or you can swap the tuners by hitting the swap button .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts