Can you get the new HD from DISH?

Do you currently receive the new HD channels from DISH?

• Total voters
Technically, I NO LONGER have Dish Network since I canceled about the same time the new HD was lit up. I'll be purchasing Apple TV next month after the tax refund.

Thanks for your help Im hoping they install the eastern arc because I really do not want three satellite dishes. Now if they install the eastern arc would that give me all of the channels that dish has to offer??

I was reading this thread and trying to change channels at the same time.

I accidently went to channel 9901.

It says;

"Congratulations, you are pointed at the 129 orbital loaction."

I laughed out loud and thought to myself, no kidding...

My wife thinks I may be losing it...

If she only knew of all the PO'ed people who are not getting the new HD channels.

Thanks for your help Im hoping they install the eastern arc because I really do not want three satellite dishes. Now if they install the eastern arc would that give me all of the channels that dish has to offer??

Yankeefan,

The Eastern Arc dish with a Dish 500 feeding only 110 into the LNB input on the Eastern Arc Dish will give your access to all Dish Core Programing and HD programing and local channels, only some Foreign Language channels will not be available under that installation.

Lastly be aware to use the Eastern Arc Dish all of your Dish receivers MUST be HD VIP receivers. If you have any SD receivers you will have to get the third Dish for 129.

John

Assuming equal ability to get either and all MPEG4 receivers, is there a consensus as to which is better to have, Eastern Arc (EA) or Western Arc (WA)?

This opinion could be based on factors such as signal strength and susceptibility to rain fade, or the fact that all video on EA, including SD channels, is MPEG4 and thus takes less room on the DVR, or maybe the HD channels on one or the other get more bandwidth.

Myself, I'm leaning towards replacing my current 110/119/61.5 with 61.5/72.7/77, but keep something pointed at 110 so I still have the option of my SD locals. Or would it be better to just add 129 instead?

No new channels here. 110/119/61.5. I just upgraded to a 722K from a 622 a couple months ago and asked the techs about swinging to 129 and they said don't do it.:confused:

I'm getting the new channels fine. After swinging my 61.5 dish over to 129. I practiced the night before with a spare dish i had laying around and my pansat. Very easy. So yesterday i climbed up on the roof moved the elevation from 24 to 46, set my 211 to 129 tp 28, and swung the dish to the right and within 10 seconds had a lock. As my wife told me so yelling out the window. :D

Hi kbghdg, that's a great idea! I'm on 61.5, 110 and 119 so I'm not getting the new HD but I think I might be able to hit 129 and I was never very happy with the original install of the dish 500 for 61.5. The installer put in under a valley in the roof so when it rains there is a thick downpour of water that hits the dish dead center so I get a lot of rain fade on the HD channels. So if this works it looks like my answer to the poll would be no I'm not getting the new HD but I don't need an equipment upgrade, just need to move one dish. Take care, DC

Assuming equal ability to get either and all MPEG4 receivers, is there a consensus as to which is better to have, Eastern Arc (EA) or Western Arc (WA)?
When I went from my D* setup to the EA, I got a lot more/worse rain fade. Also, during a snow recently here in St. Louis my EA lost signal (for hours) whereas those in the area with WA dishes did not.

No new channels for me. I have two dishes on the roof- 110/119 & 61.5 (129 cannot be seen from my house).
I called Dish and they want $95 to add the eastern arc. They won't let me install the LNB myself.
The representative did say that if I add the $6/month maintenance fee the install would go down to $15. Of course if I cancel the monthly fee later there is a $25 downgrade fee.

I'm going to look around and see if I can buy an eastern arc LNB so I can replace the one on the 61.5 dish myself. Any recommendations where I can buy one from?

This is the first time I have been grateful that I hada service outage and wound up with an A install instead of my legacy 110/119 61.5 setup.

Just thought I'd post an update: I was scheduled for a Noon-5 PM install today; but got a call about 8:45 from the installer asking if he could come earlier. SURE! :) I met him at the house at 9:15 and an hour later he had removed my exiting 2 dishes & replaced them with one larger dish. Unfortunately, I forgot to check which specific satellites he tuned in to (...can check tonight when I got home from work); but all got strong signals & the new HD channels immediately showed-up. I am one happy camper! ;)

No new channels for me. I have two dishes on the roof- 110/119 & 61.5 (129 cannot be seen from my house).
I called Dish and they want $95 to add the eastern arc. They won't let me install the LNB myself.
The representative did say that if I add the $6/month maintenance fee the install would go down to $15. Of course if I cancel the monthly fee later there is a $25 downgrade fee.

I'm going to look around and see if I can buy an eastern arc LNB so I can replace the one on the 61.5 dish myself. Any recommendations where I can buy one from?

Gregg,

If you are using a Single Dish for 61.5 you will NOT be able to just replace the LNBF on the Dish 300/500 pointed at 61.5 for it to equate to an Eastern Arc Dish.

The Actual Eastern Arc Dish has a MUCH larger reflector Pan and different setup at the back of the pan so it can receive signals from three Orbital slots 61.5, 72.7 and 77. The Dish is unique in that it receives signals from those three slots, but remember the Eastern Arc orbital slots are not evenly spaced by 9 or so degrees between each slot, like the Western Arc 1000.2 Dish (110,119,129).

If you want the 61.5. 72.7, and 77 orbital slots, you will need to install two or Three Dishes (one Dish 500 with TWIN LNBF for 61.5/72.7, and a second Dish for 77, or Three Separate Dish one for each orbital slot), or you can use the actual Eastern Arc Dish model # 1000.4.

John

I finally caved and paid the $15. I still think its their problem and that they should fix it.

But for $15, I get...

One Dish instead of two
A DP33 or DP44 switch instead of the dopey setup I have now
All MPEG4

Also, I asked about losing channels in the interim....
Me: Ok. I've read online that I will loose my HD channels until the work order is closed due to a limitation in your system. Is that true?
Dish: Your channels will not be affected.
Dish: It sounds like a representative may have removed someone's HD channels online to try to prompt for the dish upgrade, but this is not required.

I told him the truth that I have poor LOS to 129 and he suggested EA.

I fought tooth and nail over the $15, but he wouldn't budge. Maybe I'll call back later. :)

I finally caved and paid the $15. I still think its their problem and that they should fix it.

But for $15, I get...

One Dish instead of two
A DP33 or DP44 switch instead of the dopey setup I have now
All MPEG4

You don't get much for $15 any more; but to have someone come to your house & spend an hour removing the old dishes & putting up a new dish and zeroing everything in, so I don't have to worry about it, is a real bargain, in my book. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)