DirecTV Retransmission Consent Dispute with Raycom

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The video providers have to cover that cost for infrastructure not the affiliates or the networks. Raycom and the other affiliates/Networks are just charging this BS fee because Congress has allowed it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
ok I stand corrected
now do the video providers send techs to support the equipment and pay for the electricity for that tv station to push that signal to a uplink/network operations center or is the individual tv station supposed to eat that cost, or is the video provider pulling that signal in free over the air like the outfit Aero was doing using their own infrastructure.

ok I stand corrected
now do the video providers send techs to support the equipment and pay for the electricity for that tv station to push that signal to a uplink/network operations center or is the individual tv station supposed to eat that cost, or is the video provider pulling that signal in free over the air like the outfit Aero was doing using their own infrastructure.
It all depends on the situation, MOST are sent via Fiber now, but I do remember them being sent OTA as well.

As to who pays for it, I would say the affiliate does, afterall they are the ones that want to be on the Sat or Cable line up.

It all depends on the situation, MOST are sent via Fiber now, but I do remember them being sent OTA as well.

As to who pays for it, I would say the affiliate does, afterall they are the ones that want to be on the Sat or Cable line up.
if its being sent by fiber that costs money and fiber techs arent cheap to employ

cant speak for all of them. Tulsa, last I heard Dish leased services from KJRH and received all locals over the air and then it is sent via Fiber to Dish uplink facility. Direct I don't know. Cox receives 2,6,8,19,23,41 and their subchannels via fiber direct from the affiliates now. This could have all changed in the past year or more though. I don't keep up with it much anymore, I stopped climbing through crawl spaces and pulling lines a long time ago unless it's for myself and I hate messing with fiber. I heard they were working on a deal for the affiliates to send their signals to Level 3's hub and Dish would get it from Level 3.

cant speak for all of them. Tulsa, last I heard Dish leased services from KJRH and received all locals over the air and then it is sent via Fiber to Dish uplink facility. Direct I don't know. Cox receives 2,6,8,19,23,41 and their subchannels via fiber direct from the affiliates now. This could have all changed in the past year or more though. I don't keep up with it much anymore, I stopped climbing through crawl spaces and pulling lines a long time ago unless it's for myself and I hate messing with fiber. I heard they were working on a deal for the affiliates to send their signals to Level 3's hub and Dish would get it from Level 3.
like I said before these signals are being pushed out on fiber well guess what fiber techs arent cheap to employ.
I know here in Oklahoma ATT pays their fiber techs $30+ a hour and that is a new hire.

like I said before these signals are being pushed out on fiber well guess what fiber techs arent cheap to employ.
I know here in Oklahoma ATT pays their fiber techs $30+ a hour and that is a new hire.
Actually I don't think ATT has specific fiber techs, some of the guys do fiber others don't, we all make the same money.

Now they COULD from time to time, out source the fiber work if it's busy.

Your point is ?

I can have that title if I decide to move into a different department.
ATT pays those techs $30+ a hour to do their job and that is in low paying Oklahoma. Now the pay for a tech working in a high cost urban area or on either coast is going to be much higher.
That is my point.

It's not Dish's problem, if they are leasing a service from Level 3, then Level 3 will worry about maintaining the fiber. If they are receiving it from somewhere else, it will be negotiated as part of that deal. Hell they could get them off sat like they do OETA from 125, if they wanted. Personally if an affiliate is forcing retransmission consent, then they damn well ought to be paying to get and maintain a decent clean signal to the uplink facility and I hope that is actually what is happening now.

this is what is expected when you have stockholders, they expect to see a return on their investment, this is for any publicly traded company.
Okay then so we found common ground. Seems as if you agree that there is no other reason for the retrans fee other than to fatten up the bottom line from the station owners.

I'm glad we agree. So now we can move on to another topic.

Reactions: Jimbo
Okay then so we found common ground. Seems as if you agree that there is no other reason for the retrans fee other than to fatten up the bottom line from the station owners.

I'm glad we agree. So now we can move on to another topic.

yep its all about the money money money and customer gets screwed.
whats even worse are utility companies like electricity, natural gas companies.
this happened to me with the gas company that changed their billing policy.
my home only uses natural gas for heat everything else is electric well when spring(usually march) comes around I down into my basement and kill the main disconnect the runs to the furnace and call in and place account in suspension and remove the suspension in late october early november. well I did that this year and the csr tells me we dont do suspensions anymore and I am like what she says we only do connects and disconnects. so I ask how much will it cost to disconnect and reconnect she says between $200-$300 I am like what? so I have to pay $27 worth of fees ever month for not using one cubic feet of gas, she says yes.
well so I do the math and the monthly fee's add up to about the same as it would cost me to disconnect and reconnect.
what a rip-off............ paying for nothing.

Yep my lake house gas bill in Wagoner was $19 last month. $11 or so in delivery fees and $5 in taxes and $3 for actual gas for the hot water tank.

Yep my lake house gas bill in Wagoner was $19 last month. $11 or so in delivery fees and $5 in taxes and $3 for actual gas for the hot water tank.

I have a infrastructure improvement fee on my bill, that was approved by the OK Corporation Commission. I am like wtf there is such a thing called the cost of doing business, but it seems like our elected leadership no longer represents the people but they are more than happy to hook up the corporations.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)