DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

What they did with the BCS Mega cast was pretty cool, and if ESPN News became an in game analysis channel with coaches covering big games in various sports on that channel with real time stats, that would be amazing and add value to this pseudo redundant channel.

sorry i disagree with you i want my disneyHD,abcfamilyhd,espnuhd,espnnewshd,disneyxdhd we would like these channel back in hd and we are willing to pay some money to get them back.

Actually I do not think it really makes that much of a difference on the billing. Yes each channel adds a bit, but even a major player like Disney is probably less than 20% of the "bill" Dish has to pay for programming which is only a small part of the bill that Dish charges the customer. If Disney charges Dish $2/month extra on a $50 package it is only 4% of the bill.

Yes it all adds up, but it is more than just one provider of content that is driving up your monthly bill. Dish's other costs like call centers, satellites, locals, etc. is driving up the monthly bill too.

For me only ESPNU in HD would be nice to have. The wife and I don't watch Disney. Sometimes our grandkids do and I've never heard them complain about the lack of HD. I certainly wouldn't pay extra so my grandkids could watch in HD. They aren't here very often so no need to have more expense.

My 12 year old will watch the Di$ney Channel!! In SD!! I feel as though I have failed as a parent.

Actually I do not think it really makes that much of a difference on the billing. Yes each channel adds a bit, but even a major player like Disney is probably less than 20% of the "bill" Dish has to pay for programming which is only a small part of the bill that Dish charges the customer. If Disney charges Dish $2/month extra on a $50 package it is only 4% of the bill. Yes it all adds up, but it is more than just one provider of content that is driving up your monthly bill. Dish's other costs like call centers, satellites, locals, etc. is driving up the monthly bill too.
It may seem like a small percentage but if you look at all the costs Dish has those Disney channels are a pretty huge portion of it. How many total channels does Dish carry? Figure out those costs and all the other expenses Dish has and you'll probably see that the Disney channels are one of the largest percentages.

It may seem like a small percentage but if you look at all the costs Dish has those Disney channels are a pretty huge portion of it. How many total channels does Dish carry? Figure out those costs and all the other expenses Dish has and you'll probably see that the Disney channels are one of the largest percentages.

True, but programming costs are less than 1/3 of the Dish bill.

You do realize that satellites cost money, employees cost money, hardware costs money, and oh yeah, they need to make a profit to stay in business...

If you read above, I was pointing out that the $5 average package cost increase is probably not being driven by the Disney deal since programming is not that large a portion of the overall cost of doing business. Yes call centers, satellites, uplinks, fiber backbones, customer acquisitions, marketing, installers, etc. are all expensive and take up most of the bill.

It is like a restaurant. The raw food is usually less than 1/3 the menu price, probably cheaper than you can get in a grocery store. Everything else that it takes to deliver that food to the end customer costs around 2x the cost of the raw materials.

........ doing away with FHDFL.

Technically for some, yes. But I just feel certain there is more to that. First, we are not losing it as long as we remain a customer. Second at the time (something like 2 years from now) that it would affect now new subscribers HD is going to be virtually the norm everywhere. But beyond that, I think DISH has something planned in the near future (Soon™) that maybe makes that option obsolete or simply not what it means today. Could be package type changes, could be something to get people to change to something new and give up their grandfathered whatever, I don't know.

Dish's reasoning for going to Free HD for 24 months was to be able to show new customers an actual value. Now they can say that a new customer will save $240 with their Free HD promotion. With the Free for Life promo they couldn't do that and the promo was more overlooked.

Doesn't make much sense to me but I'm not a marketing genius.

I actually think you are saying what I am. It's all in the wording. By making HD for life more "valuable" it gives the new subscriber the feeling they are getting something for free for two years that others have to pay for. I agree with your idea on that. After the two years I just don't think people will be paying for HD unless they really want to, like now. It just might be done in a different way. And don't overlook those who subscribe now that feel they are getting grandfathered for something people down the road won't get.

In two years there should be no sd channels,everything should be hd.

That may be and that might be what Dish's plan is. Maybe they know they won't have to charge for HD in 2 years so they come out withthis promotion so they can advertise big numbers like $240 saved. The more I think about it the more it makes sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)