DISH Reaches Long Term Agreement with DISNEY / ESPN / ABC

I thought they still have millions of SD only customers? If they change them all out in two years wouldn't it bankrupt the company? Or they could just raise fees again. I guess they envision a time when the fees cost as much or more than the programming package.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

That may be and that might be what Dish's plan is. Maybe they know they won't have to charge for HD in 2 years so they come out withthis promotion so they can advertise big numbers like $240 saved. The more I think about it the more it makes sense.

That's the only thing that comes to my mind,hopefully we are correct.

I thought they still have millions of SD only customers? If they change them all out in two years wouldn't it bankrupt the company? Or they could just raise fees again. I guess they envision a time when the fees cost as much or more than the programming package.

They don't have to change them,all they have to do is down rez hd to sd,which they already do with espnu,espn news,and disney.What I'm saying is hopefully in 2 years the broadcasters will only have one signal,HD.In theory there shouldn't be an extra fee for hd.

Just like it's been said hundreds of times before, the HD charge is pure profit, with good compression schemes and once break even has been reached for the HD equipment, and will hopefully go away completely.

they already changed out the eastern arc

Just like it's been said hundreds of times before, the HD charge is pure profit, with good compression schemes and once break even has been reached for the HD equipment, and will hopefully go away completely.

Is it really pure profit? I thought some networks were charging for their HD channels like Disney.

Do you have a cite for this? I was under the impression that such pricing info is kept under wraps.

http://allthingsd.com/20100308/hate-paying-for-cable-heres-the-reason-why/

The topic has come up on here before. Here is a article from 2009 with a chart of industry average fees per channel. Dish probably pays less since they have a lot more subs than the average cable system.

A few channels http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013...and-least-expensive-cable-channels-in-1-graph

Cable channel costs are complex. Yes ESPN may have a list cost $5.54/sub/month if you were a new cable operator with just a few customers, how much the channel actually costs Dish depends on the number of other channels Dish carries from Disney, the more channels the bigger the discount and how many subs, the more subs the bigger the discount. Dish also gets to sell so much commercial time an hour to offset that cost. I would not be surprised if the net cost to Dish was under $4.

http://allthingsd.com/20100308/hate-paying-for-cable-heres-the-reason-why/ The topic has come up on here before. Here is a article from 2009 with a chart of industry average fees per channel. Dish probably pays less since they have a lot more subs than the average cable system. A few channels http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2013/09/27/226499294/the-most-and-least-expensive-cable-channels-in-1-graph Cable channel costs are complex. Yes ESPN may have a list cost $5.54/sub/month if you were a new cable operator with just a few customers, how much the channel actually costs Dish depends on the number of other channels Dish carries from Disney, the more channels the bigger the discount and how many subs, the more subs the bigger the discount. Dish also gets to sell so much commercial time an hour to offset that cost. I would not be surprised if the net cost to Dish was under $4.

It's been covered many times before that ESPN cost every provider over $5 per subscriber on the average.

what do you guys think the deal between dish and disney is done?

If Disney is letting Dish carry a new channel before the contract is finished and Dish is agreeing to it, both sides appear to be far enough along in the contract negotiation that they think it is a done deal. If Dish thought it was not going to work out in the long run, why agree to pay Disney $$ and have yet another channel blacked out for people to complain about. Disney is helping Dish get customers by letting them carry the SEC network. If Disney thought the contract was not going to work out why help a company you will not be doing business with?

good point there you're are right with dish carrying sec that proabley means it is a done deal i wonder when we will the official annoucement and when the HD channels will be coming back.

good point there you're are right with dish carrying sec that proabley means it is a done deal i wonder when we will the official annoucement and when the HD channels will be coming back.

Could be a while, final details, signatures and approvals can take some time.

But hopefully Soon...........:)

If they announce the Longhorn Network is coming then you'll REALLY know that it's coming.

problems with DVD and DVR since hooking up new TV

Is this the same ehd ???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts