DISH to partner with Aereo?

First, keep in mind very few local channels are putting up their signal via satellite. The issue isn't the technology, it's the contracts the local channels have with the program providers (whether network, syndicators, or even advertisers). Those contracts could (and in some cases do) prevent locals from streaming to out of market locations.

Think you misunderstood my point.What I mean is,that several local channels that are available via sat can be watched outside of their dma,by (moving).As you said (I would still make the argument that only people in the DMA can get the signal).I'm sure that same argument is used currently for satellite.

Think you misunderstood my point.What I mean is,that several local channels that are available via sat can be watched outside of their dma,by (moving).As you said (I would still make the argument that only people in the DMA can get the signal).I'm sure that same argument is used currently for satellite.
Ah, sorry, yes I misunderstood.

Even with streaming restrictions by market, it is almost impossible to enforce due to the ease of using a proxy server to spoof your location.

Aereo uses a different technique to verify your geographic location. If your network and or device has Wi-Fi capabilities they use Wi-Fi to determine your approximate geographic location. Aereo knows that you can spoof an IP or connect using a VPN. They use the same technique as dumb phones, Kindle Fires (no 3G ), etc. use to figure out where you are within a couple of hundred yards. IF you don't have Wi-Fi capabilities I don't know how Aereo confirms your location.

If you want to see if you can beat Aereo's system sign up for a free one day trial and see if you can fool their verification system if you don't live in the NYC area.

Sounds more like shill-writing than an objective news article.

You got that right. No way are the ad agencies not going to provide 50 million viewers what they want to see. All this talk about what they would do is smoke. Someone would break ranks and the rest would all come running back or miss the market. Can't forget that Aereo charges also, something like $12/month and the free to air people will not pay for that either. If they really wanted to stop Aereo, they would set up their own streaming system for a reasonable fee for the limited subset that wants the service.

Sounds like an excuse to kill off ota broadcast and make everyone pay to watch their shows online or though their cable/satellite providers.

The networks need to offer their own streaming service which would be cheaper than the way aereo is doing it since they would not need antennas and be done with it. Then networks would collect a lot more than they do now at $12 per month. I don't know why they would not do it.

How Stations Can Kill Aereo And AutoHop
Broadcasters have an alternative to converting over-the-air networks to cable channels to thwart Barry Diller's Aereo and Charlie Ergen's AutoHop Dish DVR: the "Dual Stream Strategy."

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/66819/how-stations-can-kill-aereo-and-autohop
That is a terribly biased written article. I have a hard time believing all broadcasters feel the same.

The networks need to offer their own streaming service which would be cheaper than the way aereo is doing it since they would not need antennas and be done with it. Then networks would collect a lot more than they do now at $12 per month. I don't know why they would not do it.
I've said 3-4 times at least why broadcasters don't stream their signal... it's not technology, it's the contracts with program providers, INCLUDING their networks. Whether the program providers are willing to allow it during the next negotiations is up in the air.

How Stations Can Kill Aereo And AutoHop
Broadcasters have an alternative to converting over-the-air networks to cable channels to thwart Barry Diller's Aereo and Charlie Ergen's AutoHop Dish DVR: the "Dual Stream Strategy."

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/66819/how-stations-can-kill-aereo-and-autohop

Local station owners would be nuts to agree with this. And this is why. Once ota becomes useless and people get their programming from a pay-tv provider, Netflix (or Netflix competitor) or by purchasing episodes from Amazon/iTunes; whats to stop the networks from saying why do we need the middlemen (local stations)? Since ota brings no value now, we might as well sell directly to the pay-tv services themselves. The local operators will, in the long-run, be cutting their own throats.

The service costs $8 per month for the 31 off air channels available in the NYC metro market and it includes up to 20 hours of DVR storage. For $12 you get the same 31 channels but 40 hours of DVR storage.

An individual station could only stream you its own programming. If it wanted to sell you other station's programming it would have to negotiate retransmission agreements and pay the same fees that Dish currently pays.

For the moment Aereo has found a clever niche/ loophole to exploit. To compete with them a network would have to install its own bank of antennas or convince people that they should sign up for an account that gets them just one channel and here are the links to 30 other web sites where you can sign up to stream their programming after you have set up an account with them.

Mike D:

I think I said something similar earlier in the thread.

Sam_Gordon:

The contracts haven't evolved with the times. Maybe they should in the next cycle.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

You know some of the local affiliates may tell Fox, CBS, ABC, etc.. to go ahead and pull their programming, they can then just make their subchannels MeTv, AntennaTV, ThisTV, Rtv, etc... their main channels.

You know some of the local affiliates may tell Fox, CBS, ABC, etc.. to go ahead and pull their programming, they can then just make their subchannels MeTv, AntennaTV, ThisTV, Rtv, etc... their main channels.
How would they make any money by doing this? I don't think I've seen anything but national advertising on those sub-channels. I doubt the rates they pay the station owners would be enough to support them. Although there are a lot of sub-channel networks out there now. Maybe it could work if a station had three different subs?

How would they make any money by doing this? I don't think I've seen anything but national advertising on those sub-channels. I doubt the rates they pay the station owners would be enough to support them. Although there are a lot of sub-channel networks out there now. Maybe it could work if a station had three different subs?
It all depends on how the station is equipped and what the contract with the programming providers say. It's theoretically possible the contract has the provider pay the station a flat fee, but the provider keeps all ad inventory. Or the provider allows local commercial inserts, but the station isn't equipped to put commercials on the subchannel(s) AND the 'main' channel.

I do know at least one sub channel DOES support local commercial inserts.

They could add their news to the subs channels and where it is now- time wise, and you would still get your local news.

Potential Game Changer: Time Warner Cable CEO Says If Aereo Ultimately Passes Legal Muster the MSO May Use 'Similar' Technology To Deliver Broadcast Signals to Its Cable Subs. Billions of Dollars in Retrans Fees Could be at Stake

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2013/05/potential-gamechanger-time-war.php

Looks like Dish isn't the only one interested in Aereo technology for delivering locals

Potential Game Changer: Time Warner Cable CEO Says If Aereo Ultimately Passes Legal Muster the MSO May Use 'Similar' Technology To Deliver Broadcast Signals to Its Cable Subs. Billions of Dollars in Retrans Fees Could be at Stake

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2013/05/potential-gamechanger-time-war.php

Looks like Dish isn't the only one interested in Aereo technology for delivering locals

Think about it. Advertisers pay billboard companies but cable/sat pay advertisers.

Sent from my S3 using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)