Not happy with the Dish Hopper DVR

stardust3 said:
On dishes website under the taiigater tab there is frequently asked questions that specifically states no mixing vip equipment with hopper setups. Whether or not its true it is in black print on their website.
That's entirely a business decision. If you have a Dish 1000.x with 2 lines running to the XiP node for the Hopper, there's no technical reason the third line couldn't run to that 211/211k or any other receiver. There just wouldn't be any sharing of tuners or recordings.

The Dish up-link guru is going to DirecTV?

Probably so....I would have been gone last month but I added a DVR a while back. That 5 tuner DirecTV box looks nice. Plus I have a buddy who installs DirecTV now so I could get him to do it without having to worry about some crack head in my house.

That's entirely a business decision. If you have a Dish 1000.x with 2 lines running to the XiP node for the Hopper, there's no technical reason the third line couldn't run to that 211/211k or any other receiver. There just wouldn't be any sharing of tuners or recordings.

I agree, like I said earlier I'm just relaying what I've read on their site. I don't endorse, dispute, or lay claim to any other statement quoted from there. If the cold hard facts posted on their site don't agree or correspond to what others beleive then I don't know what to say. Everything I've quoted from dishes site has been shot down. For me personally I tend to beleive what is posted on their site, others claim to have some insight but who knows. The bottom line is it their gig and they can change the rules when ever they want & if we don't want to play that is fine also we just need to find another playground.

I agree, like I said earlier I'm just relaying what I've read on their site. I don't endorse, dispute, or lay claim to any other statement quoted from there. If the cold hard facts posted on their site don't agree or correspond to what others beleive then I don't know what to say. Everything I've quoted from dishes site has been shot down. For me personally I tend to beleive what is posted on their site, others claim to have some insight but who knows. The bottom line is it their gig and they can change the rules when ever they want & if we don't want to play that is fine also we just need to find another playground.

They need to fix the rides on their playground, Because I personally like that one. (Its Prettier) And they need to stop upsetting people :(

Last edited:
I swear I will pay for two accounts before I switch to direct tv. I just can't stand their remotes lol
Because of a simple remote? Really? A remote is that important? You can always get a harmony and still pay less than two Dish accounts.

Because of a simple remote? Really? A remote is that important? You can always get a harmony and still pay less than two Dish accounts.
Yes in my house a remote is that important. You will not believe when we switched to dish it took my other half, six months of screaming how do you do this. So every remote in our house is a 20.0 or a 21 so that they are all the same so there is no complaints in this house they all look and act the same. I had to order extra remotes but was well worth it.

I won't go so far that I would never switch over a remote (And I know you are half kidding) but I do agree, I have a family member who will go nameless that can't do anything with technology involved if there are any changes. So I too now have all 21.0 remotes, all the same receivers, etc... AND, my wife's own channel list. Oops, did I say my wife..... :)

Yes in my house a remote is that important. You will not believe when we switched to dish it took my other half, six months of screaming how do you do this. So every remote in our house is a 20.0 or a 21 so that they are all the same so there is no complaints in this house they all look and act the same. I had to order extra remotes but was well worth it.
Then get a harmony. It is better than paying twice the subscription.

Plus, DirecTV remotes are one of the most user friendly remotes I have ever used.

List gets you to your list of programs saved on your DVR
Guide gets you to your guide
Power turns on and off your TV and your box
volume turns the volume up and down on your audio device
The menu gets you to the menu. The menu on the new HDGUI is one of the most user friendly and simple guides I have ever seen
All of the other things do the same things all of the remotes do

The only thing you would need to memorize are the color button shortcuts and you don't even need to use those

Then get a harmony. It is better than paying twice the subscription.
Have to admit I never got all the love the Harmony gets. The only thing it has going for it is macros. I've never been thrilled with the layout. The touch screen is a nice concept, but any remote you have to look at to be sure what your doing has at least 3 strikes against it. Most importantly one remote is not enough for any of my rooms other than the kids' bedrooms, and at the price it isn't justified.

Plus, DirecTV remotes are one of the most user friendly remotes I have ever used.
Have both. Prefer Dish. Like the Dish channel up/down and volume layout a little better, but my biggest gripe with Direc's is it just seems a little more cramped. Dish's just seems to fit better for me. That's all very subjective though.

I won't go so far that I would never switch over a remote (And I know you are half kidding) but I do agree, I have a family member who will go nameless that can't do anything with technology involved if there are any changes. So I too now have all 21.0 remotes, all the same receivers, etc... AND, my wife's own channel list. Oops, did I say my wife..... :)

I have control over this one little aspect of the world that damn remote no screaming other then the batteries. Which they still can't manage to change on their own. Everything else. Facebook changes....... other half screams facebook changed, change it back.........honey I can't do that, they did it I can't fix that. At least with dish nothing ever changes to screw crap up that people have to learn a whole new operating system except when the hopper comes out. Then I"m sure I'm going to be in another room and hear HONEY THIS DAMN THING ISNT DOING WHAT I WANT IT TO....... How many others are going to have this problem lol

I have control over this one little aspect of the world that damn remote no screaming other then the batteries. Which they still can't manage to change on their own. Everything else. Facebook changes....... other half screams facebook changed, change it back.........honey I can't do that, they did it I can't fix that. At least with dish nothing ever changes to screw crap up that people have to learn a whole new operating system except when the hopper comes out. Then I"m sure I'm going to be in another room and hear HONEY THIS DAMN THING ISNT DOING WHAT I WANT IT TO....... How many others are going to have this problem lol
You have no idea how proud I was when my wife, after five years, learned the basic keys by touch so she didn't have to turn on the bedroom light to change the station or turn down the sound.

But I do have to make sure to leave it in SAT mode as she still goes into orbit if the channel change won't work because I left it in TV or AUX.

See this is how they also get you stuck with one provider for life, you can't change otherwise it's 1 year at least of headaches from remote changes to learning a different channel lineup. And does direct tv still do that stupid thing where it shows every channel and says please call 722 for ordering info, if you don't get it?

Not to mention, in my case, the terabyte of saved shows and movies on external hard drives that go away the day I stop being a Dish customer.

Have to admit I never got all the love the Harmony gets. The only thing it has going for it is macros. I've never been thrilled with the layout. The touch screen is a nice concept, but any remote you have to look at to be sure what your doing has at least 3 strikes against it......

I know what's on the screen on my Harmony One and 880 without looking. They don't move around. And the only time I need to use the touch screen is to turn it all on. And I know it's at the very top of the screen, so I don't even have to look.

Harmony replaces several remotes. Very easy. High WAF. MiL can use it. Wasn't that way when we had to use multiple remotes to get everything on. I went thru a few cheaper universal remotes that "weren't" before springing for a Harmony. I now have two in service.

Well, after reading this last page of posts I think I found our solution. It's not Dish or Direct that's the problem, it's our wives...Maybe that is what needs switching out??? :D

Ghpr13:)

Well, after reading this last page of posts I think I found our solution. It's not Dish or Direct that's the problem, it's our wives...Maybe that is what needs switching out??? :D

Ghpr13:)

I believe SugarDaddy.com has an upgrade offer. :D:D

navychop said:
I know what's on the screen on my Harmony One and 880 without looking. They don't move around. And the only time I need to use the touch screen is to turn it all on. And I know it's at the very top of the screen, so I don't even have to look.

Harmony replaces several remotes. Very easy. High WAF. MiL can use it. Wasn't that way when we had to use multiple remotes to get everything on. I went thru a few cheaper universal remotes that "weren't" before springing for a Harmony. I now have two in service.

+1

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

And does direct tv still do that stupid thing where it shows every channel and says please call 722 for ordering info, if you don't get it?

Is that true? I'm currently on Insight cable and they do that and I hate it. I wish they only showed me what I was subscribed to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)