So I take back my praise of Netflix - BB ?

Netflix and BB online are the most cost effective, I just dont have a lot of patience :)

I'm rarely getting anything on BD from Netflix above my 8th or 9th choice in my queue...and those are usually the older ones that I never got around to seeing for some reason or another, like last week when I got the first Resident Evil. Guess it will be awhile before I see the third installment. :rolleyes:

I have been with NETflix for 2 months and have been unhappy with the HD_DVD that I have received. The 3 that I have gotten have been scratched badly and very dirty and if this continues I will go to a local store for HD rentals but they charge $5.15 for 5 days compared to $2.99 for regular dvds.

No problems with HD

I must be choosing unpopular movies or things are aging enough in my queue to be available because I always get the blue or red movie at the top of my list. Resident Evil 3 is at home right now. My movies come from the Houston warehouse.

See one "very long wait" in my queue -- Rush Hour 3. It's not high on my list so it isn't bothering me.

I like how they are also bitching about Blu-Ray player prices. Universal bitched about Blu-Ray player prices 8 months ago. Didn't Forester Research also tell Blu-Ray to lower their player prices?

Yeah...like we didn't already know this. :rolleyes:

NetFlix Admits High-Def Disc Shortage

NetFlix Admits High-Def Disc Shortage
But the by-mail rental service says the problem will be fixed soon.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (January 24, 2008) -- Have you had problems lately renting Blu-ray and HD DVD movies from NetFlix?

Well, you're not alone.

The popular by-mail DVD rental service acknowledges that it's experiencing a "slowdown" in distributing new Blu-ray and HD DVD releases to its customers.

Consequently, subscribers trying to rent recent Blu-ray and HD DVD releases such as 3:10 to Yuma and The Bourne Ultimatum are getting messages at NetFlix's web site saying it will be a "very long wait" before they are mailed out.

"The studios are not replicating (discs) as fast and that's causing the slowdown," Steve Swasey, a NetFlix spokesman, told TVPredictions.com today.

However, Swasey said he expects the studios to pick up the pace shortly.

"This is short term. It should be fixed in the next couple of weeks," he said.

I have 11 movies in my queue, all either BD or HD-DVD. All of these movies are in long wait of very long wait. Right now I have no movies from NetFlix, they said they'd ship one yesterday then changed it to shipping today, we'll see.

"The studios are not replicating (discs) as fast and that's causing the slowdown," Steve Swasey, a NetFlix spokesman, told TVPredictions.com today.

Are they kidding? I don't think anyone has had any problems buying these discs - how can it be the studios' fault?

I don't think anyone has had any problems buying these discs...
Two different things...
Studios are not too excited about the whole rental business.
Evey little bit helps, especially at today's hard times, but rental brings in a fraction of what a sale does.
Hence, shortage in rental and abundance in retail can go hand to hand.

Also, there are essentially only two - Sony and Cinram - BD50 replication facilities (not counting the test installations). And that might be slowly becoming a bottleneck.

Diogen.

But also seeing this problem on HD-DVD's so unless there's a replication shortage there that's not the problem. I agree that it's probably the studios holding back on HDM to try to boost sales.

Two different things...
Studios are not too excited about the whole rental business.
Evey little bit helps, especially at today's hard times, but rental brings in a fraction of what a sale does.
Hence, shortage in rental and abundance in retail can go hand to hand.

Diogen.

But certainly they realize a lot of people will buy a movie after getting to "sample" it as a rental, if they didn't get to see it in a movie theater. Sure, rentals do cut into sales on some level, but people who buy because the can't rent a given title are in the minority.

But certainly they realize a lot of people will buy a movie after getting to "sample" it as a rental...
Actually, somebody in the know claimed (don't remember where) that one more reason studios don't like rentals
is because they know the opposite is true: "buying after renting" cohort is miniscule.
"Buying because you can't rent" is bigger...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)