tOSU being investigated for tattoo-gate?

He should be suspended for a minimum of 8 games. He knew about it and did nothing and he is the leader of the team. His punishment should be more than the kids.

And that is just for him. I look for more punishment for the school as well.

Did anyone hear Bob Knight on with Mike and Mike this morning? Very strange. I haven't been listening to them for a while but I tuned in to hear this.

First, Knight (an Ohio State alum) states that he has no idea what the rule is regarding the selling of memorabilia, then goes on a three minute rant about how Tressel is the most above board coach he knows, blah blah blah.

After Knight finally stops talking, Golic tells him that it's clearly in the rules that you can't sell anything while you still have eligibility left, and brings up that the issue of the moment is that Tressel knew but didn't tell anyone. Knight then goes into another dissertation about how there is no way for a coach to know the thousands of rules that are out there, so suspending Tressel is 'stupid'. He should just get a warning.

Golic then reels him in again, telling him this is a widely known rule.

Sandra

In the several times I have seen Knight asked to respond about other coach's questionable decisions, statements, etc., I have never heard an opinion critical of these coaches. Seems like Knight is intent on defending his brotherhood.

In the several times I have seen Knight asked to respond about other coach's questionable decisions, statements, etc., I have never heard an opinion critical of these coaches. Seems like Knight is intent on defending his brotherhood.

Totally agree...I expected him to be defensive, but I did not expect him to be so completely clueless.

Sandra

Based on the Columbus Dispatch story about this, I have a new nickname for "the Vest", that being "the Cheat." :( WOW! Tosu is going to suspend him 2 games! WHAT A JOKE! Hopefully, the NCAA will now have enough nads to do what they should have done last season and ban them from playoffs for a few years in addition to the wimpy "self-imposed" sanctions they are all to willing to take.

So much for integrity, Tressel is just one more lying piece of garbage in the world of "sports", it appears.

Obit of a "clean" program:

Tressel: 'I let some people down' | BuckeyeXtra

A little harsh.

Selling a team pin on eBay is hardly an act of cheating. Technically against the rules and being blown completely out of proportion, yes. Cheating, no. You're just hateful because you and many others are jealous of the superiority of our school.

What an embarrassment. I'm not sure Buckeye nation should forgive him.....this seems like a fireable offense.

I think the Vest gained some street cred with his players by not narking them out.
Maybe with the current players who are already gone, or leaving shortly. His rep gets dinged possibly for future recruits/parents who see headlines about inVESTigations and what that holds for their future there...

What an embarrassment. I'm not sure Buckeye nation should forgive him.....this seems like a fireable offense.
Per his contract, it is a fireable offence. But since he's been winning, all will be forgiven by the school.

As for the NCAA, he covered up and lied during an investigation. Forget about going to a bowl for a few years, and prepare to lose some scholarships and maybe void some wins.

Per his contract, it is a fireable offence. But since he's been winning, all will be forgiven by the school.

As for the NCAA, he covered up and lied during an investigation. Forget about going to a bowl for a few years, and prepare to lose some scholarships and maybe void some wins.
That's what I'm worried about. I just can't believe that he made such reckless and idiotic choices....He's a 50-something year old man - -not a teenager.

I really hate when the schools get punished and the coaches are free to leave and go to another job. They need to fire him now.

That's what I'm worried about. I just can't believe that he made such reckless and idiotic choices....He's a 50-something year old man - -not a teenager.
Look at his history. Almost every school he's been at has something happen with football players getting some kind of compensation, and him fudging the investigation.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6194162
This was not the first time Tressel or his players have run into problems with the NCAA.
Ray Isaac, a star quarterback at Youngstown State, accepted improper inducements including cars. Tressel was found to have done an incomplete investigation of those allegations, with Youngstown State later serving penalties. In addition, Maurice Clarett, who led the Buckeyes to the 2002 national championship, and Troy Smith, winner of the 2006 Heisman Trophy, were suspended by the NCAA for receiving money and other benefits from boosters.
This next bit might lead to a serious "lack of institutional control" charge. Especieally since the NCAA comes down harder when you coverup.
In May of 2009, The Columbus Dispatch reported that since 2000, Ohio State had reported to the NCAA more than 375 violations -- the most of any of the 69 Football Bowl Subdivision schools that provided documents to the newspaper through public-records requests. Most of the infractions were minor and resulted in little or no punishment.

Look at his history. Almost every school he's been at has something happen with football players getting some kind of compensation.

He's been a head coach at two colleges. Youngstown State and tOSU. What happened at Youngstown State?

And while we're at it, what happened recently has nothing to do with recruiting. A few players sold memorabilia. Big deal.

Look at his history. Almost every school he's been at has something happen with football players getting some kind of compensation, and him fudging the investigation.

Jim Tressel gets two-game ban for NCAA violation - ESPNThis next bit might lead to a serious "lack of institutional control" charge.

I have a feeling more things (maybe small, but more) will come out about him as they go deeper.

Im a little surprised that OSU fans are not mad as hell with him. What he did could lead to stiffer penalties. If it were me, and this was Bama, I would have a hard time defending our coach if he knew, and basically lied about it.

He's been a head coach at two colleges. Youngstown State and tOSU. What happened at Youngstown State?

And while we're at it, what happened recently has nothing to do with recruiting. A few players sold memorabilia. Big deal.
While a lot of NCAA rules may be archaic, they don't all just deal with recruiting....

Im a little surprised that OSU fans are not mad as hell with him. What he did could lead to stiffer penalties. If it were me, and this was Bama, I would have a hard time defending our coach if he knew, and basically lied about it.

Well I'm not defending him. He should have done the right thing, and now the program could suffer for it. Not good.

Sandra

While a lot of NCAA rules may be archaic, they don't all just deal with recruiting....

I was responding to Derwin who made an accusation that The Vest was responsible for his players getting "compensation" at every school he was associated with. I would like him to back up that blanket statement instead of piling on the hatred.

Not defending him, just giving the opposite stance that I really don't think this is a big issue. It was a moral decision. The rule that the players broke is archaic. It has nothing to do with the game on the field. When Coach found out, he made a moral decision to keep his mouth shut and side with the players whether right or wrong. It was a bold move. It wasn't a sissy move. He didn't sing like a canary. He stood up for his guys. Big deal.

Again, what the players did and Tressel not ratting on them has NOTHING to do with the game on the field. This is the reason why he is not and should not be getting fired.

Not defending him, just giving the opposite stance that I really don't think this is a big issue. It was a moral decision. The rule that the players broke is archaic. It has nothing to do with the game on the field. When Coach found out, he made a moral decision to keep his mouth shut and side with the players whether right or wrong. It was a bold move. It wasn't a sissy move. He didn't sing like a canary. He stood up for his guys. Big deal.

Again, what the players did and Tressel not ratting on them has NOTHING to do with the game on the field. This is the reason why he is not and should not be getting fired.

Agree with the rule or not, it was broken, and he should have come forward.
We (bama) got hit with probation for the "textbook" scandal which also has nothing to do with the game on the field. Yet we got three years probation, had to vacate wins in which those players played in, and had to pay a fine (the players sat four games as well). All this after we reported the whole thing and fixed the issue that allowed it to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)