1 1/2 years bad equipment....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rccase

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
Utah
After 1 1/2 years of bad equipment I must rid myself of D*. 7 receivers, 3 system installs and nothing helps. Last straw was when the HR21 crashed. It was supposed to be the cure-all. Cust service sucked it cost me $275.00 because everytime they repair your equipment with new you are started over on new 2 year commitment. D* is a rip-off in this area, after all it was their fault the equipment does not work.

Obviously, you posted this just to rant otherwise you would have provided us with some details so we could possibly help you out.

10 Things that could cause/be related to signal pixelation:
1) Dish not peaked
2) Dish not mounted properly leading to #1
3) LOS issue - things like trees and such
4) EMF interference - if you live in certain areas near airports and your dish happens to be pointed in the right direction, the beacons they use have been know to interfere with signal. I've even seen the same issue with car radar jammers/detectors and train signals.
5) Electrical interference from colocated wiring
6) Bad grounding connection
7) Bad LNB
8) Bad/incorrect cabling
9) Bad connectors
10) Bad multiswitch

No not just ranting, The three reinstalls was from dish to tv. All components, cabling everything. I and every tech who has come has wound up completely frustrated. The only thing I am ranting on now is the fact they would not budge on the commitment fee. $300.00 for the HD upgrade and now $275.00 to disconnect. After all I requested the new equipment through a tech who said the old equipment was bad. I must say however that I have missed no tv as E* was called in the am yesterday and the install was complete by afternoon.

I had the same problem for six months. I finally told them to take the piece of crap out and they said give us more time to correct the problem and we will credit you for the $300.00 you paid for HDDVR. I agreed :). Most of the problems were programming, which they finally fixed, after several updates. However, I still had problems with transmission until they put up a new satellite dish, to replace the one that was put up when I got the HDDVR. The installer said that there was a series of the dishes that were faulty.

Obviously, you posted this just to rant otherwise you would have provided us with some details so we could possibly help you out.

1) Dish not peaked
2) Dish not mounted properly leading to #1
3) LOS issue - things like trees and such
4) EMF interference - if you live in certain areas near airports and your dish happens to be pointed in the right direction, the beacons they use have been know to interfere with signal. I've even seen the same issue with car radar jammers/detectors and train signals.
5) Electrical interference from colocated wiring
6) Bad grounding connection
7) Bad LNB
8) Bad/incorrect cabling
9) Bad connectors
10) Bad multiswitch
Which of the above 10 items is DIRECTV not responsible for fixing?

If a company demonstrates an inability/unwillingness to fix problems that prevent you from effectively using their product, why stick around? The same goes for the DIRECTV side: if the customer proves to be too much trouble, refund their deposits, forgive the separation costs and go your separate ways.

If a company demonstrates an inability/unwillingness to fix problems that prevent you from effectively using their product, why stick around? The same goes for the DIRECTV side: if the customer proves to be too much trouble, refund their deposits, forgive the separation costs and go your separate ways.

#4, sometimes #'s 3, 5, & 6

1- Unless I missed something, where in his OP did he mention ANYTHING about pixelation?
2- Not everyone has flawless service with Directv.
3- The HR20 series is notorious for having problems. I'm on my 3rd one since September.

1- Unless I missed something, where in his OP did he mention ANYTHING about pixelation?
2- Not everyone has flawless service with Directv.
3- The HR20 series is notorious for having problems. I'm on my 3rd one since September.

The original post had more information.

The first sentence of your response makes me want to ask the same question of you.

If you're so damn unhappy with D*, why do you stay with them?

Makes me wonder if you even have any D* equipment and/or subscriptions but just enjoy griping so much.:eureka

1 1/2 years bad equipment

The first sentence of your response makes me want to ask the same question of you.

Makes me wonder if you even have any D* equipment and/or subscriptions but just enjoy griping so much.:eureka

Harshness, I'm still waiting for an answer!

I can't answer for the OP but I stick with DirectTV because it's the only way that I know of that I can watch all the Pittsburgh Steelers games where I live. If anyone knows of a way that I can see those games without subscribing to NFL Sunday ticket please tell me and I'll pay the early cancellation fee to DirecTV and leave their junk equipment behind!

1 1/2 years bad equipmant

I can't answer for the OP but I stick with DirectTV because it's the only way that I know of that I can watch all the Pittsburgh Steelers games where I live. If anyone knows of a way that I can see those games without subscribing to NFL Sunday ticket please tell me and I'll pay the early cancellation fee to DirecTV and leave their junk equipment behind!

If you're that big a Steelers fan one thought comes to mind instantly:

Change jobs and move to Pittsburgh.:eureka

Otherwise you may have to just learn to "get happy" with D*'s junk equipment.

Wouldn't have to change jobs--retirement's wonderful that way!:) I'd just have to get used to weather that's even colder than here. :(
I'll get happy with D*'s equipment when they provide me with a DVR that lasts a lot longer than 3 months. (That's about the average life of what they've provided so far!) Meanwhile, until I find somebody who will slingbox the games to me I'll just continue to subscribe to DirecTV and report whenever the equipment fails!

Gary

If you're that big a Steelers fan one thought comes to mind instantly:

Change jobs and move to Pittsburgh.:eureka

Otherwise you may have to just learn to "get happy" with D*'s junk equipment.

1 1/2 years bad equipment. . . .

Wouldn't have to change jobs--retirement's wonderful that way!:) I'd just have to get used to weather that's even colder than here. :(
I'll get happy with D*'s equipment when they provide me with a DVR that lasts a lot longer than 3 months. (That's about the average life of what they've provided so far!) Meanwhile, until I find somebody who will slingbox the games to me I'll just continue to subscribe to DirecTV and report whenever the equipment fails!

Gary

I have an H20 and a HR20-700 that both have been pretty much rock solid.

I did have a couple of spontaneous reboots lately but, other than that, they've been good, reliable units.

Exactly what is going wrong with your units?

I've only had the R15's and most of the problems have been about playing back recorded programs. Either the playback stops part way through a recorded show and the message "Do you want to delete..." shows up, or the playback stops and the DVR simply jumps to live tv, or the playback freezes up and the only way to get out of it is to reset the DVR, etc. On one of the early R15-100's that I had I experienced the "set up to record but didn't record" problem but I haven't seen that on the last few machines that they've sent me.

I don't have HD, even though I've got an HD tv, and I don't care about HD. I'm not going to pay extra for HD just to get a reliable DVR.

Gary

I have an H20 and a HR20-700 that both have been pretty much rock solid.

I did have a couple of spontaneous reboots lately but, other than that, they've been good, reliable units.

Exactly what is going wrong with your units?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts