1 DVR, 2 TVs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Chiorpheus

Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Chicago
I'm on the verge of signing up for Dish, but am trying to figure out if my ideal setup with 1 DVR and multiple TVs will work.

I want to have one DVR hooked up to two TVs, so everything I record in the living room will be viewable in my bedroom.

I see that the ViP622 can serve multiple TVs, but what's the cabling/setup like? Do I run coax out of the ViP622 directly into my bedroom TV? Then what about tuning the channel, do you have to do it on the tuner/dvr in the other room? (That seems like it would suck). Can I hook up a second tuner to the bedroom TV, and somehow have an output from the DVR in the living room feed the tuner in the bedroom?

Or is the best setup just using Slingbox? Any help would be much appreciated.

2 lines in from the dish to matching inputs on the receiver. coax run from the home distribution port to the input on the second tv. tv 1 gets the hdmi connection. setup on tv 2 is simple. just follow the instructions.

You just tune TV2 to a chosen channel, like 60 (and leave it there). Then use the TV2 satellite remote, while on channel 60 in the bedroom, and you'll see the satellite feed for TV2 and you can go to the DVR recordings and play the recorded show that you want.'

There are some splitters involved, I think, to get the proper combining the satellite, receiver and home distribution. (At least on my 722 there are).

You basically get full control of the receiver with either remote and individual outputs to each TV. I don't recall all the differences between the 622 & the 722, but I looked at both when I signed up and the 722 seemed much better for the same setup I have - that you have also. The 722 has a larger hard-drive for recording shows and is black.

yes, if set up right, you have two remotes. one to work in each room, both tv's can view separate dish channels, and both share the recordings. its a very nice setup and the 622 is a very nice receiver.

well, say what you want, but there are 2 lines coming into the house for each of my 722's! You don't believe me? feel free to drop by sometime!
Maybe that 2nd line goes to your neighbor's house for FREE TV!!! :D

Trace it out and let us know...;)

well, say what you want, but there are 2 lines coming into the house for each of my 722's! You don't believe me? feel free to drop by sometime!
it WILL work with two lines, but its not neccesary, there are lots of ways to hook up dishnet receivers. you probably have a dp34 switch, either for more outputs, or it was left over from a previous instalation. it would have been just as simple for your installer to change your system to DPP where only one line would be neccesary, but who knows the circumstances of your setup.

Thanks, all. Sounds great. I guess with the second UHF remote it can control the receiver from an adjacent room without any problems, yes?

it WILL work with two lines, but its not neccesary, there are lots of ways to hook up dishnet receivers. you probably have a dp34 switch, either for more outputs, or it was left over from a previous instalation. it would have been just as simple for your installer to change your system to DPP where only one line would be neccesary, but who knows the circumstances of your setup.
I do have the original DP34. that was my point. he more or less called me an idiot.

I do have the original DP34. that was my point. he more or less called me an idiot.
ALL dual satellite tuner units that DISH has offered to the public will work with a single cable (721, 921, 942, 322, 522, 625, ViP222, ViP612, ViP622, ViP722).

Just because someone chooses to connect them alternately doesn't change the fact.

ALL dual satellite tuner units that DISH has offered to the public will work with a single cable (721, 921, 942, 322, 522, 625, ViP222, ViP612, ViP622, ViP722).

Just because someone chooses to connect them alternately doesn't change the fact.
And it doesn't change the fact that some still use the Dp34. Stop being so thick-headed! If Dish hasn't used 2 cables for 1 million years, it still doesn't change the fact that there are 2 cable setups still out there! End of discussion.

And it doesn't change the fact that some still use the Dp34. Stop being so thick-headed! If Dish hasn't used 2 cables for 1 million years, it still doesn't change the fact that there are 2 cable setups still out there! End of discussion.
I would suggest that it is those who insist on using outdated switchgear that are the ones that are being thick-headed.

Suggesting that someone might need two wires in a new or updated installation doesn't make much sense at all.

My statement was that multiple cables were not "needed" and that was really the end of the discussion.

If you want HD and don't mind the signal being mirrored on 2 TVs, you can hook up 2 HD TVs (one HDMI and one Component) to the 622 or 722 and then use a UHF remote to control the one that is away from the box. That is how I have mine setup and I think there is at least a couple of others on this forum who do it that way too. Dish doesn't say you can do this and won't support it, but there are no problems to do it this way that I have found.

The SD on the second TV looks pretty bad. At least that is what I have found. I think it must be a result of the down conversion.

Not so bad that you can't enjoy it, but not great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts