$10.89 Price Increase

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think for now she will simply downgrade to the "Entertainment" package to save $10 a month. Although she is pissed, because we downgraded her from "Choice Ultimate" to "Choice" to save $10 a month when my father passed away 5 months ago. Now she is paying the same amount and getting less channels. Being a big baseball fan and loving the IFC channel she isn't going to like the "Entertainment" package.

I'm thinking she should simply drop DirecTV and get a whole new Dish Network setup and pay a lower fee for the next year or two.

One final question: If I puchase a SD direcTV receiver for $69 and downgrade to the "Family" package would she receive the HD channels within the "Family" package in SD?

What do her prior bills look like? Yes, there has been an increase but as stated in this thread she shouldn't see more than a $4 increase. You need to get her previous bills to see what the real cause of this $10 increase is.....you're missing 60% of the increase based on what has been noted.

I think for now she will simply downgrade to the "Entertainment" package to save $10 a month. Although she is pissed, because we downgraded her from "Choice Ultimate" to "Choice" to save $10 a month when my father passed away 5 months ago. Now she is paying the same amount and getting less channels. Being a big baseball fan and loving the IFC channel she isn't going to like the "Entertainment" package.

I'm thinking she should simply drop DirecTV and get a whole new Dish Network setup and pay a lower fee for the next year or two.

I am sorry to read that your father passed away.

A relative actually switched from D* to E* right before the February increases.

I read your posts, and it sounds like she wants baseball and IFC. (However, I know with Choice Ultimate that the Encores, The Movie Channel, and Sundance are included.)

We actually have Dish and Dish Latino Dos [regular $44.99/month], and I can tell you that we get MLB Network HD, IFC, and our local Regional Sports Network(s).

So, you said she had this as her following bill with D*:

Choice: 63.99 + 3.84 tax
FOX Network (grandfathered): 3.50 + 0.21 tax
Primary TV: 6.00 + 0.36 tax
Primary TV: (6.00) + (0.36) tax
DVR Fee: 8.00 + 0.00 tax
Subtotal: $81.49 (You got $79.54)
With Dish:

Option 1
HD Latino Dos
1 independent HD TV and 1 independent SD TV with DVR and optional $30 Sling adapter
$35.99+tax/month for 1 year
$50.99+tax/month after 1st year

Dish Latino Dos $44.99
HD $ 0.00 if participating in the HD for Life offer
HD Duo DVR R $ 0.00 [primary 2-TV--one HDTV and one SDTV]
DVR Fee $ 6.00
Subtotal (before taxes): $50.99 [regular price]

With Promos:
Max,HBO,Sho,Starz $0.00 for 3 months [reg. $44.00/month]
Blockbuster@Home $0.00 for 3 months [reg. $10.00/month]
Protection Plan $0.00 for 4 months [reg. $ 6.00/month]
Programming Credit -$15.00 for 12 months [includes instant and online credits]
Subtotal (before taxes): $35.99 [for first year]

Option 2
HD Latino Dos
2 independent HD TVs that can be converted into DVRs with external hard drives without the monthly DVR fee for a one-time $40 fee
$36.99+tax/month for 1 year
$51.99+tax/month after 1st year

Dish Latino Dos $44.99
HD $ 0.00 if participating in the HD for Life offer
HD Solo receiver $ 0.00 [primary 2-TV--one HDTV and one SDTV]
HD Solo receiver $ 7.00
Subtotal (before taxes): $51.99 [regular price]

With Promos:
Max,HBO,Sho,Starz $0.00 for 3 months [reg. $44.00/month]
Blockbuster@Home $0.00 for 3 months [reg. $10.00/month]
Protection Plan $0.00 for 4 months [reg. $ 6.00/month]
Programming Credit -$15.00 for 12 months [includes instant and online credits]
Subtotal (before taxes): $36.99 [for first year]

Of course, you could also decide to go with America's Top 250 for a year (respectively $45.99/mo. or $46.99/mo. for the 1st year) or America's Top 200 (respectively $40.99/mo. or $41.99/mo. for the 1st year) for a year and then downgrade to Dish Latino Dos the second year.

Also, since she was in Choice Ultimate with DirecTV, if she ever wants to add Encore to anything below America's Top 250 (since it is already included with America's Top 250), she could have the option of adding the $5 a la carte Encore Movies pack which includes:
341 Encore West
342 Encore Westerns
343 Encore Action
344 Encore Suspense
345 Encore Drama
346 Encore Love
377 MoviePlex

Other options:
I really hope this helps. If you are serious about Dish and know certain other channels she likes, let me know, and I can tell you which packs have them. Again, to the D* forum, I am just trying to help someone in need that is trying to deal with a death in the family and increased fees in service and the likelihood of not having the wanted channels due to increased fees. If she can get the programming that fits her needs for cheaper with another provider, then I would say go for it. Also, I was unsure of the $3.50ish Fox fee with D*.

Other resources:
http://commercial.dishnetwork.com/calculator/default.aspx (Pricing calculator)
http://www.dishlatino.com/clientes/centroayuda/listadecanales.aspx (Dish Latino lineupcards)
http://www.mydish.com/programmingGuides/ (Other Lineup Cards--America's Top, Dish America, Sirius XM, old Dish Latino lineup cards)

I really hope that this helps.

Last edited:
The 3.50 is for grandfathered distant station. Dish can't provide that ;)

I guess his mom like NY Fox or something

So, I am making an assumption that your mother is from the same area as your location. I typed in 15044 as the zip code.
You can let me know if that is wrong or update us by going to the following site if you wish:
DISH Local Channels - Find Your Local Stations on DISH

However, with the location you had and the zip code I found for it, I found the following:
Pittsburgh, PA - ABC (WTAE) 4 [SD and HD]
Pittsburgh, PA - CBS (KDKA) 2 [SD and HD]
Pittsburgh, PA - CW (WPCW) 19 [SD and HD]
Pittsburgh, PA - FOX (WPGH) 53 [SD and HD]
Pittsburgh, PA - IND (WPCB) 40 [SD]
Pittsburgh, PA - ION (WINP) 16 [SD]
Pittsburgh, PA - MNT (WPMY) 22 [SD]
Pittsburgh, PA - NBC (WPXI) 11 [SD and HD]
Pittsburgh, PA - PBS (WQED) 13 [SD and HD]

SUPERSTATIONS
Congratulations! This address is eligible for all Superstations.
Superstations - $2.00 per month** [or $7.00/month for all]
Station Affiliate DISH Network Channel Number
Superstation KTLA WB 233 [appears to be a CW affiliate]
Superstation KWGN WB 235 [appears to be a CW affiliate]
Superstation WPIX WB 234 [appears to be a CW affiliate]
Superstation WSBK UPN 236 [appears to be independent]
Superstation WWOR UPN 8105 [appears to be on 238 and a My Network TV affiliate]

Well, the network affiliations definitely have not been updated. Some baseball games may play on there; honestly, I am not sure.

Regional and Collegiate Sports Networks are available with America's Top 120 Plus or higher [or Dish Latino Dos].
Station
Root Sports Pittsburgh
Big Ten

Superstation WSBK UPN 236 [appears to be independent]

WSBK was indy until this past fall, when they picked up the MyNetworkTV affiliation for Boston

Superstation WWOR UPN 8105 [appears to be on 238 and a My Network TV affiliate]

WWOR is actually on both 238 and 8105

Well, the network affiliations definitely have not been updated. Some baseball games may play on there; honestly, I am not sure.

The only two superstations that carry baseball are the two New York stations, WWOR (Yankees) and WPIX (Mets). The only thing is, each channel only carries about 20some games per season.

WSBK was indy until this past fall, when they picked up the MyNetworkTV affiliation for Boston

WWOR is actually on both 238 and 8105

The only two superstations that carry baseball are the two New York stations, WWOR (Yankees) and WPIX (Mets). The only thing is, each channel only carries about 20some games per season.

Thanks for explaining as I am not as knowledgeable in the baseball area as the OP says that his mother likes baseball. I know that the $9 Multi-Sports add-on can be added to Dish Latino Dos, too. Are there any baseball games shown on there? I noticed that you have it in your signature.

all pro sports are blacked out unless its claimed by your local area. In most areas this means the sports pack would black out all pro sports. But there are some areas where 2 or more teams claim an area and the sports pack is needed to get those extra teams. Example is Iowa.

With basic package that includes a RSN its CSN Chicago for Cubs and Sox
add sports pack and you get Twins, Brewers, Cardinals and Royals.

I think Buffalo is like that. Sports pack adds the Pirates (or Indians...I forget)

Her team is the Yankees. All she is interested in watching is the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and FOX), Seinfeld on TBS and The Three Stooges on IFC. She watches nothing else and is disappointed that she needs to spend $79 a month just for the little programming she watches.

During the Christmas holiday I installed an OTA antenna with a pre-amp. She now receives all the major networks including many in HD along with lots of The Three Stooges on Antenna TV. Does anyone know if most of the Yankee games are ITC on FTA satellite? If so, this might be an option and cancel DirecTV.

PopcornNMore said:
My mom is trying to reduce monthly expenses since my dad passed away and is furious that her $68.65 a month DirecTV bill is now $79.54 (an increase of $10.89 a month).

Has DirecTV increased their package prices recently?

This is her new statement. I don't have access to her old statements, so I don't know where the increase came from.

Choice: 63.99 + 3.84 tax
FOX Network (grandfathered): 3.50 + 0.21 tax
Primary TV: 6.00 + 0.36 tax
Primary TV: (6.00) + (0.36) tax
DVR Fee: 8.00 + 0.00 tax

DirecTV is getting as bad as Dish Network.

Just an FYI to all. The State of Illinois has no sales tax on Satellite, Cable TV or Services.

I know this as I reside in Illinois & won an arbitration hearing & AG Case vs a Satellite Carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Blackhawks said:
Just an FYI to all. The State of Illinois has no sales tax on Satellite, Cable TV or Services.

I know this as I reside in Illinois & won an arbitration hearing & AG Case vs a Satellite Carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

YET - given the State's financial condition and penchant for taxing everything, it's only a matter of time before they figure out how to tax TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)