10' Dish - Pole Diameter Size Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GI_Joe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 6, 2010
Atlanta
This has been bugging me for some time now so I'm tossing it out to the group for input. I have a 10 foot Winegard perf dish that requires a 4" OD pipe. I am about to the point of installing the dish. The mount has three (3) tension bolts to tighten it down to the pole. Obviously, the BEST approach is to use a 4" OD pipe so the mount will fit perfectly and not slip around. I have plenty of 3.5" OD pipe at my disposal, and I am considering using that instead.

Has anyone SUCCESSFULLY used a 3.5" OD pipe and just balanced the mount out around the tension bolts? I just don't want to buy a larger pipe if I don't have to..

And I am not concerned about the weight of the dish and not using a 4" OD pipe... Sorry but that was overkill by Winegard. I have heavier dishes than that on a 3.5" OD pipe and never had a problem.

What do you guys think???

Regards,

GI_Joe

:) it's only overkill untill something takes it down. But you should be fine taking up 1/2" difference with the tension bolts, if you don't get too tall. My Pinnacle is on a 4 1/2" O.D. pole concrete filled and 15' above ground :)

If you are going to go with the 4" mount on the 3 1/2" pipe you might consider adding 3 more tension bolts (above or below the existing and "staggered" on the circumference.

I have done that by carefully blowing small holes with a torch (you can drill them if you want), cleaning up the holes with a grinder, and welding on nuts centered on the holes.

All good points!!!

I just went back and checked again and there are actually four (4) sets of tension bolts 4 on the lower portion of the mount and 4 more on the upper portion. I honestly feel that any slop could be worked out with proper tension balanced around the pole. Worth a try anyway.

How about welding a sleeve to the top of the pipe? since the OD of the pipe you want to use is the same as the ID of the pipe that is called for, you will only need a short length of 4 inch. You may have to do a bit of clearance fitting with a belt sander or grinder, but you will end up with a much more stable mount.

You might be able to find some schedule 40 PLASTIC pipe to make a shim for it?? Check with your local plumbing store to see what OD and ID plastic pipe they have and then use that after cutting holes in it for the bolts to go through to the metal 3.5" pipe. My 10ft Winegard mesh is mounted on a 3.5" schedule 40 pipe and I've had zero problems with it for the 13 years it's been up.

I have the same setup with my Winegard and I first had trouble with the mount staying put on the pole but I just put longer bolts into it and it has been working for over a year with no issues. I may actually have 3" pipe but at any rate it still works fine. I know what you mean by the Winegard mount. Seems a lot more heavy duty than other 10' dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts