10 ft dish working again after 30 years

stinkygopher1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Saint John NB CA
Well I finally got my 10 ft mesh dish back together and working.Put a new C-band LNBF C1W-PLL lite Wideband 3.4 - 4.2GHz that I got from Brian and it works very well.Really pleased.Even watched a little bit of Green Acres on Galaxy 17.Still have some more tinkering do do with it but it is 95% there.Need about 200 feet of good coax to run to the house now.Even have a few pictures of the final resting place for this old dish.Love this new hobby!Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC01642.JPG
    DSC01642.JPG
    265.3 KB · Views: 486
  • DSC01643.JPG
    DSC01643.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 493
  • DSC01644.JPG
    DSC01644.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 469
  • DSC01645.JPG
    DSC01645.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 464
  • DSC01646.JPG
    DSC01646.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 465
Mine is an old analog receiver from 25 years ago. Looking to get a digital. Didn't want to put much more $$ into this until I see what's available. Already paying a million a month to Dish Net. I'm looking for my best option under $100.

Last edited:
I too have resurrected after 25 years. You must have had to purchase a digital receiver since then to get something now. What model did you get? Like it?

I have 2 osmio4k's. Best receiver I've seen in awhile. The only major issue I'm having right now is maintaining correct time. I've had other issues but they were operator error but I'm getting my act together.

Reactions: EmCommSat
Ok here we go I can suggest you do the following the center piece get some flat black paint and paint that, next get some TLEX with bleach and spray on all your mesh screens let it sit for like 5 mins and wash off, last you need to go with a LNB instead of a LNBF they are way to weak, and you have yourself a monster of a dish.

Please explain what makes a LNBF "weak"?

I have both feedhorns with LNBs and LNBFs and the main difference is the ability of a servo to fine tune the skew for each satellite to attenuate adjacent satellite or other interference (typically on systems which are not 2 degree compliant) and the cost effective interference filtering provided by Ti LNBFs.

last you need to go with a LNB instead of a LNBF they are way to weak

Last edited:
Most LNBF are very cheap and won't pull in weak TP's I was just suggesting you go with an LNB.. did you paint the center piece and clean your panels?

That might be true if you are talking about junk Chinese LNBF's. But you get what you pay for. I find Titanium LNBF's to work even better than my Norsat 8115's I used to use.

• Wow
Reactions: madmadworld
I bought one of your C1 PLL LNBF's and it works so well you can get sats that aren't even there. I was looking for SES 1 at 101.0°W on the 10 ft dish tonight and all I could get was SES 1 on KU band. Not sure what I did to get that but I sure would like to know.

• Haha
Reactions: primestar31
:)

That would be because of an incorrect setting for the STB. A C-band LNBF is only capable of receiving C-band frequency range. The STB will map these IF frequencies as C or KU, depending on the STB setting.
I bought one of your C1 PLL LNBF's and it works so well you can get sats that aren't even there. I was looking for SES 1 at 101.0°W on the 10 ft dish tonight and all I could get was SES 1 on KU band. Not sure what I did to get that but I sure would like to know.

Reactions: primestar31
I checked everything on the STB and even changed the freq from 10750 to 5150 and I lost the signal.Is there something else I can change or check in the settings?

The LO frequency of the C1-PLL LNBF is 5150. If a blind scan was performed with the LO incorrectly set at 10750, these channels will not come in when the LO is changed, because the transponders have been logged on the wrong frequency.

Erase the incorrectly scanned channels and transponders then perform a new blind scan with LNB LO frequency of 5150 selected.

What is the advantage to the black paint as opposed to gray? My mount is a buttonhook, would it help that type as well? Thanks.

Ok here we go I can suggest you do the following the center piece get some flat black paint and paint that, next get some TLEX with bleach and spray on all your mesh screens let it sit for like 5 mins and wash off, last you need to go with a LNB instead of a LNBF they are way to weak, and you have yourself a monster of a dish.

Correct! When you select the correct LO frequency of 5150, you will lose signal on transponders previously blind scanned with the incorrect LO frequency of 10750. Once you delete the incorrect transponders and perform a new blind scan with the correct LO, the corrected transponder frequencies will be saved along with the logged services.

As long as the satellite dish has not been moved, initiate a blind scan. No signal lock meter reading display is necessary to perform a blind scan.

What is the advantage to the black paint as opposed to gray? My mount is a buttonhook, would it help that type as well? Thanks.
There is no advantage in the choice of paint color. Some prefer grey, others prefer black and some like camouflage. Just be sure to use a flat vs glossy paint to prevent the sunlight reflection into the feedhorn.

A button hook that is in good mechanical condition and centered on the reflector is easier to fine tune than a feed supported by 3 or 4 legs. Some prefer buttonhooks and others prefer legs. No right or wrong. No better or worse. As long as the feedhorn is stable, centered and adjustable.

Reactions: Cliff Gallup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)